SL2-S vs Leica Q3?

nemendes

25 minutes ago, Qwertynm said:

Many people use micro 4/3 or ApS-C cameras and they haven’t died from using smaller formats. I don’t see the issue in using crop modes in the Q or smaller sensor cameras. 

If you want small and relatively light I‘d check out Fuji X mount. They have a very good 18 1.4 (28mm aeq.) and a 33 1.4 (50mm aeq.) or the older and small 35 1.4. The X-Pro series has even the rangefinder style copied of Leica. 

if you’re interested in the Leica Q3 there is a whole subforum for the Q series with a recent thread from someone requesting portraits in 50mm cropmode.  Might want to check it out if you want to stay with a Leica. 

Can you send me link or topic that contains portraits in 50mm cropmode if possible? I want to look at them.

I asked @jaapv also about it but i think he didnt see it. 

vor 18 Minuten schrieb Simone_DF:

end up with with most of the photos shot the size of a smartphone sensor.

OP wants to shoot 28 and 50 in a small full frame camera and considers either Q3 or SL per the thread title. SL is neither small nor light, hence why the Q3 is on the table. Q3 can do 60mp at 28mm and 19mp at 50mm aeq. FoV. A smart phone doesn’t have APS-C sized sensor and not a f/3.2 aeq. aperture at 50mm aeq. If you compare images of a phone with the images of a Q3 even printed to miniscule 10x15cm images you will see the difference even in good lighting. I have plenty examples from my wifes iPhone 14 Pro and my Q3 hanging on the wall to compare.

The Q3 is versatile and that’s the concept of the camera. It’s not for everyone or everything. I‘d guess that most people have Camera X and buy a Q to complement not to replace Camera X. 

Edited by Qwertynm

8 minutes ago, nemendes said:

Can you send me link or topic that contains portraits in 50mm cropmode if possible? I want to look at them.

I asked @jaapv also about it but i think he didnt see it. 

They are spread out in the relevant image threads. Picking examples is not useful you need to see bad ones too. Use our search function. 

48 minutes ago, jaapv said:

See my post above. The CL delivers 24 MP files, the Q whatever you crop it to. So does a ff L camera with a TL lens.  The focal length or rather angle of view determines only the framing and the subject distance and angle to the optical axis determines the perspective. 

I don't understand your point.

I was replying to whether cropping a Q image was the same as using an L mount lens on a Leica CL. I don't think it is.

The ONLY reason I don't own a Q is because I would hardly ever use the 28mm in it's native format. I would rather invest that money into a camera that is of a similar file quality but shoots 35 or 50mm. For me it's the FP and X1D2. 

If you want to stay within Leica, have a very small 'pocketable' travel camera and shoot mostly 35mm, I would say give the CL a go, with a Sigma 23mm FF lens.

Edited by Chris W

4 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I reckon his shots are with the SL2 and the Summilux, rather than the Q?

Yes, you're right, 50mm Summilux and 90mm Summicron seem to be his most used lenses.  There are no notes in his book about equipment, but I thought he used the Q as well, although I might have confused him with someone else.  But 50mm crop mode still produces excellent portraits, particularly with the extra resolution of the Q3.  That was really the point I wanted to make.

In terms of image quality, what would you say if you had to choose leica q3 28mm summilux vs apo summicron sl 28mm?

I heard that apo lenses are incredible sharp and clean on sl system. So 28mm leica q3 lens as well i think.

Maybe its a pixel peeping, but i would like to know your opinions about it. 

I think you are missing the point.

The Q series lens is incredible. Which doesn't mean much if you aren't using the camera much, or likewise never want to walk around with an SL2-S. 

The difference between Leica 28mm lenses is minimal, compared to the platforms they are designed for.

I would not pick the SL2-S for low light over the Q3. I have a Z6 which has the same sensor as the SL2-S and the Q3 is equal to my Z6 in low light. Especially if you shoot in M-DNG. If you're set on the 50mm focal length I would rent a Q3 and see if the crop lines help you shoot 50mm. For me they don't because it's not a zoom to crop. I would not buy a Q3 if 50mm is my choice of focal length. 

2 hours ago, nemendes said:

In terms of image quality, what would you say if you had to choose leica q3 28mm summilux vs apo summicron sl 28mm?

I heard that apo lenses are incredible sharp and clean on sl system. So 28mm leica q3 lens as well i think.

Maybe its a pixel peeping, but i would like to know your opinions about it. 

I'd say keep your Ultron ;-)

The Q3 lens is great, but not even close to the SL APO line. There's a reason why the APO line are so big and heavy. I think there's a 1:1 comparison here on the forum of the Q2 vs the 28mm APO.

12 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

I'd say keep your Ultron 😉

The Q3 lens is great, but not even close to the SL APO line. There's a reason why the APO line are so big and heavy. I think there's a 1:1 comparison here on the forum of the Q2 vs the 28mm APO.

I see, thanks for your comment, i will look at that comparison. One side is more compact, another side is better IQ then :) Hard to choose. If i could use my m cameras in a bad weather, i wouldnt bother myself to think about other systems. I am sure that someone in here used m system in a very bad weather condition and nothing happened, but in front of my eyes, my friend's camera was broken because of a little rain. so i cant risk it. 

I am more close to sl system than q3 but my only concern is weight after using m cameras. 

1 hour ago, Sohail said:

As a former owner of the Q2, I actually ended up selling it and buying the APO 20 instead of the Q3. It's a significantly better lens, and (for me) a better shooting experience with the SL2.

Thanks for comment. Did you get use to use heavier system after q2 easily? I mean does it make really difference? 

1 hour ago, Miltz said:

I would not pick the SL2-S for low light over the Q3. I have a Z6 which has the same sensor as the SL2-S and the Q3 is equal to my Z6 in low light. Especially if you shoot in M-DNG. If you're set on the 50mm focal length I would rent a Q3 and see if the crop lines help you shoot 50mm. For me they don't because it's not a zoom to crop. I would not buy a Q3 if 50mm is my choice of focal length. 

Half of my photos are taken with 50mm, so its my concern as well. I dont use much fast aperture so, cropping is not a problem in terms of aperture value much but i did it before and my photos suffered from perspective distortion. Something was really different, i cant explain it without showing photos. Maybe for cropping i had to arrange my frame a little bit different, because other guys in here insisted on that cropping to 50mm shouldnt be problem at all. 

Hey, I can tell you what I love about the q‘s (1,2,3) 

you can have so much fun with flashing! 

guessing is over. 

you just set the flash and the aperture a d then fine tune. 

And if you go higher than 1/250, no worries. 

I often shoot them side by side and it’s much easier with the q3. 

And what I like about the sl2-2. 

the sound and the feel. 

the images are nice too. 

but the sound …. 

this is very rewarding …. 

9 minutes ago, nemendes said:

Thanks for comment. Did you get use to use heavier system after q2 easily? I mean does it make really difference? 

I used to have both, so no. The APOs are well-balanced on an SL body. It never feels burdensome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris W said:

I think you are missing the point.

The Q series lens is incredible. Which doesn't mean much if you aren't using the camera much, or likewise never want to walk around with an SL2-S. 

The difference between Leica 28mm lenses is minimal, compared to the platforms they are designed for.

For portrait shots i dont walk around much but for street, sometimes i m out for 6-8 hours. At this point, i cant decide whether sl2-s would bother me or not. Picking a camera and trying it is not a solution sometimes as well. At first you enjoy so much using new system, so you cant make a clear decision. after you start to realize cons about it. Thats why opinions from people that using sl system or q for a long time is important for me. 

• Like 1