Leica SL2 on Sports & Wildlife Photography

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, aksclix said:

FYI sillbeers15.. I have had an overdose of “inspiration” from you.. so I have, like i said, added you to my “ignored users” list.. the photos I shared were for the few other sane folks here.. couldn’t care less about whatever you had to say.. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is unfortunate that you're so childish.

9 hours ago, aksclix said:

I would love to know if any image in this whole gallery lacks “soul” or comparable to ANY BIF image that came out of SL2.. perhaps a ratio of 1:10000? We’re in a Leica forum because we like Leica.. doesn’t mean the others are soulless or boring.. loyalty towards fact is more important than a brand.. 

https://www.marksmithgallery.com/Birds

disclaimer: I am in no way connected to Mark Smith.. just a fan he doesn’t know 

Possibly comprehension may be part of the problem?

What in my use of the words-  "Personally I find many of the "better-than-Leica" Japanese cameras to be a soulless shooting experience"  do you not understand?

"soullesss shooting experience...."  certainly  does not relate to the images, but to the experience of shooting, with some hyper-feature-laden cameras.

That's my personal opinion and view. You don't have to agree, and you also don't need to try and belabour your points by repeating them.  Especially when you've not understood the context in which my comments are made.

These discussions invariably end up descending into ridiculous, childish spats, that's why I find it's best to stay out.

Enough said, back to birds:

These images were all taken with MF lenses, a combination of:  SL2 & Carl Zeiss 300mm f2.8 APO-Tessar  & SL with Leica R 280mm f4 APO

(please click on images for better res.)

Crowned Eagle 

White-winged Tern

White-winged Tern

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, michali said:

Possibly comprehension may be part of the problem?

What in my use of the words-  "Personally I find many of the "better-than-Leica" Japanese cameras to be a soulless shooting experience"  do you not understand?

"soullesss shooting experience...."  certainly  does not relate to the images, but to the experience of shooting, with some hyper-feature-laden cameras.

That's my personal opinion and view. You don't have to agree, and you also don't need to try and belabour your points by repeating them.  Especially when you've not understood the context in which my comments are made.

These discussions invariably end up descending into ridiculous, childish spats, that's why I find it's best to stay out.

Yea, I did misunderstand your words.. I thought the "soulless shooting experience" meant everything about it.. thanks for clarifying.. 

anyway, I honestly have no qualms with what you've said.. I mean no offense if it came across that way.. as you can see, it WAS interpreted differently.. despite the shortcomings of the Sony interface prior to A1, it was still possible to work around those and make it a more pleasure filled experience.. I won't argue about that.. I like the SL2 for many reasons over the others as well.. there really is no argument for me here.. 

I also tried to stay out of it but someone HAD to point out the arrogance and constant belittling by one of the "inspirational" members here.. it was getting childish and so I chose to ignore!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aksclix said:

I would love to know if any image in this whole gallery lacks “soul” or comparable to ANY BIF image that came out of SL2.. perhaps a ratio of 1:10000? We’re in a Leica forum because we like Leica.. doesn’t mean the others are soulless or boring.. loyalty towards fact is more important than a brand.. 

https://www.marksmithgallery.com/Birds

disclaimer: I am in no way connected to Mark Smith.. just a fan he doesn’t know 

Yep ... that`s (for me) the current state of the art.

Smith is a fine photographer .

As I stated before  , life long birder but not especially interested in photographing them .

The Alpha series are ideal for this fast moving stuff and I`m also reminded looking at those shots that the exposure system is very good a well. 

Big field out this weekend ( about 50 riders).

Lots of jumps which they were going over in quick succession two and three at a time .

Jump into the LandRover and race to the next group of jumps and repeat .

Total of 1.6k shots.

The SL2S struggled to keep up at times , loosing focus which it did for about ten frames and then suddenly acquired it again .

Two or three times it froze and just didn`t respond..

Happy with what I got especially the colour coming out of it but it just isn`t nimble enough in those fast moving situations 

• Like 3

As someone who spends a fair amount of time admiring and watching videos and photo sites for BIF and generally nature and wildlife, if anyone is in any doubt as to what camp most of the photographer's these days live in, they are kidding themselves.  They are mostly populated by Sony/Canon and I would say to a slightly lesser degree Nikon shooter.   Doesn't make me enjoy my SL2 any less, and I definitely think the last firmware update made steps forward for AFC and tracking, certainly for larger animals and people.  Tracking our dogs and grandchildren playing sports, keeper rate has risen.  It really is just BIF that I struggle with.  Stationary birds and animals, in good light the SL2 produces beautiful sharp detailed images.

But,  if I was heading off for what would probably be for me a once in a lifetime Safari @michali, I would be one of those "wildlife photographers (clients & others) machine-gunning away at xxx frames/sec." with my R6, because I know AF just works, eye-detect on the R6 is gobsmackingly good, point the lens in the right direction the camera locks on and stays locked on, and I would want to make the very most of every opportunity.  At home, or local to home when I'm in bird chasing mood I quite enjoy challenging myself with the SL2, after all it is supposed to be fun and I can always try again tomorrow😀.  

I find it odd when some take criticism of the Leica so personally, and imply that not getting results is purely down to lack of technique, practise or knowledge because that isn't the case.  Yes, we can all get lucky occasionally and get one or two good shots.  If you are taking a special trip, only have one chance for that magical shot, the idea of using something less capable because it has a red dot is ridiculous.  It's not only the SL2/s that is behind the curve, all the L mount offerings suffer the same limitations.  

Sorry if @sillbeers15 you think I'm just bleating and not adding anything relevant, I can post as many bad shots as you like, but that doesn't help anyone.  I would however like to thank you for pointing me to shoot APS-C mode on the SL2, something I hadn't bothered with before, it's helpful.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

But,  if I was heading off for what would probably be for me a once in a lifetime Safari @michali, I would be one of those "wildlife photographers (clients & others) machine-gunning away at xxx frames/sec." with my R6, because I know AF just works, eye-detect on the R6 is gobsmackingly good, point the lens in the right direction the camera locks on and stays locked on, and I would want to make the very most of every opportunity.  At home, or local to home when I'm in bird chasing mood I quite enjoy challenging myself with the SL2, after all it is supposed to be fun and I can always try again tomorrow😀.  

Exactly. Here's another safari analogy: if I was heading out on safari, I wouldn't take my comfortable and enjoyable road car, even though it is a more practical vehicle in every other situation! There are very good reasons why some highly specialized photographers need a 1DX. Those reasons don't apply to me, and those tools are completely inappropriate for what I like to photograph. However, if I went on a safari, or covered a Formula 1 race, I would surely rent the right equipment. The last thing I need is a $20,000 super-telephoto and a 2.5KG body weighing on my shoulder (and bank account) every day. Just like I don't need a loud and uncomfortable overland truck that can't be maneuvered in the city.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think that the advice of members who either actually live on a South African game reserve (or have been on safari for dozens of times) should not be dismissed that lightly. I have been in this game since 1988 and I have never found that the "superiority" of Canon, Nikon et al ever resulted in inferior photos. Good luck with a 1 kg body and 6 kg 600 mm lens when hiking in 40 degrees in the bush. For me the CL with 150-600 Sigma is plenty good. The results will not depend on your gear - it will depend on the skills of your guide, getting you in a good podition, anticipating animal behaviour, etc.  Using the gear professionals  will not get you a good photograph, nor will machinegunning.  A professional has a team, people to carry and hand him his gear, somebody who takes care of the light and positioning, a professional expert guide. Buying a overspecified Nikon will not gett you to that level.

My technique is to sit, watch, listen, smell and observe and only to take a photograph when I  am fairly sure that it is worthwhile. Otherwise you will see your whole safari through the viewfinder, which is a complete waste, as you will miss 90% of the experience. And to use the lightest gear possible.Which, in general, means Leica

My safari journey started with an M4 and "trombone" Telyt 400, evolved through a series of R cameras with the 280/4.0 APO, a short excursion to Canon as Leica did not do digital, back to digital M and Visoflex with Noflexar 400, later DMR and Vario-Elmar 105-280 with extenders (That was a bit bulky and heavy) and through Panasonic 4/3rds to CL+Sigma. I have never, ever felt held back by my gear. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I think that the advice of members who either actually live on a South African game reserve (or have been on safari for dozens of times) should not be dismissed that lightly. I have been in this game since 1988 and I have never found that the "superiority" of Canon, Nikon et al ever resulted in inferior photos. Good luck with a 1 kg body and 6 kg 600 mm lens when hiking in 40 degrees in the bush. For me the CL with 150-600 Sigma is plenty good. The results will not depend on your gear - it will depend on the skills of your guide, getting you in a good podition, anticipating animal behaviour, etc.  Using the gear professionals  will not get you a good photograph, nor will machinegunning.  A professional has a team, people to carry and hand him his gear, somebody who takes care of the light and positioning, a professional expert guide. Buying a overspecified Nikon will not gett you to that level.

My technique is to sit, watch, listen, smell and observe and only to take a photograph when I  am fairly sure that it is worthwhile. Otherwise you will see your whole safari through the viewfinder, which is a complete waste, as you will miss 90% of the experience. And to use the lightest gear possible.Which, in general, means Leica

My safari journey started with an M4 and "trombone" Telyt 400, evolved through a series of R cameras with the 280/4.0 APO, a short excursion to Canon as Leica did not do digital, back to digital M and Visoflex with Noflexar 400, later DMR and Vario-Elmar 105-280 with extenders (That was a bit bulky and heavy) and through Panasonic 4/3rds to CL+Sigma. I have never, ever felt held back by my gear. 

Do not think or imagine that I was dismissing Michali's advice or opinion in anyway, I appreciate all his good advice as much as I love seeing his images, I was simply explaining why I might chose not to use my SL2.  

Lightest gear possible most certainly does not mean Leica these days, the Canon R5/6 bodies are considerably lighter than the SL2 and for example the new Canon RF 100-500 weighs 1365g compared to the 1850g of the 90-280 SL or indeed the Sigma's 150-600 2100g.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

Exactly. Here's another safari analogy: if I was heading out on safari, I wouldn't take my comfortable and enjoyable road car, even though it is a more practical vehicle in every other situation! There are very good reasons why some highly specialized photographers need a 1DX. Those reasons don't apply to me, and those tools are completely inappropriate for what I like to photograph. However, if I went on a safari, or covered a Formula 1 race, I would surely rent the right equipment. The last thing I need is a $20,000 super-telephoto and a 2.5KG body weighing on my shoulder (and bank account) every day. Just like I don't need a loud and uncomfortable overland truck that can't be maneuvered in the city.

A bit flawed - in the vast majority of national parks, off--road driving is strictly forbidden, especially for private drivers. You would be using gravel and tarmac roads which any car can handle... I would say the best option is a SUV.

54 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I think that the advice of members who either actually live on a South African game reserve (or have been on safari for dozens of times) should not be dismissed that lightly. 

only talking about BIF here.. and I did mention I have respect for the content he has posted in the past.. If you’re referring to land bound animals/wildlife, it is still fair game for the SL2.. (in good light)

BIF is another dimension.. also, it is important to note how many shots from the CL/SL2 are actual keepers.. with Sony and Canon that rate is ridiculously high.. 

Edited by aksclix

1 minute ago, aksclix said:

If you’re referring to land bound animals/wildlife, it is still fair game for the SL2.. (in good light)

BIF is another dimension.. also, it is important to note how many shots from the CL/SL2 are actual keepers.. with Sony and Canon that rate is ridiculously high.. 

I have no complaints about keepers. The vast majority of bungled shots are my own fault - I don't need to play a Frans Lanting clone to take those. ;) The gear is hardly ever to blame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boojay said:

I find it odd when some take criticism of the Leica so personally, and imply that not getting results is purely down to lack of technique, practise or knowledge because that isn't the case.  Yes, we can all get lucky occasionally and get one or two good shots.  If you are taking a special trip, only have one chance for that magical shot, the idea of using something less capable because it has a red dot is ridiculous.  It's not only the SL2/s that is behind the curve, all the L mount offerings suffer the same limitations.  

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You do not need to agree with me.

I would like to share my thoughts & rational now after learning and experiencing BIF along the way with SL then now SL2 and i am sure my thoughts will continue to evolve as I pick up more experience. Like all beginners I started setting up my gear to my best knowledge over AF settings and think that so long as I can get the shots I surely can get some shots that are acceptable. After years and months of shooting and discarding thousands of images I started to be selective even before I trigger. I also derived my own AF/MF settings on different situations. These days I do not bother to even trigger when subject is not in the position I desire. In situation when the BIF subject appears in prictable position and distance, the AF Tracking mode can be deployed to let the camera AF lock-on to subject. However when there is very little time to respond and subject can suddenly appear from unpredictable location, the dot sight is the only possible device for me to locate the kingfisher as it approach me in a close distance. For this shot I visited the scene continuously every afternoon over 5 days as only the afternoon sun was favourable. Only on the fifth day, subject appeared. I only managed to snap 3 shots with 2 shots with subject only partially in frame. Almost every BIF photographer here is equiped with one over their Sonys, Nikon & Canon. If you had used the do sight device and conclude it as rubbish, I would respect your view. However concluding it without a try can be your lost. I have posted the shot before and am posting it again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Any good on EE-1?

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

To add to this, while I may never have been on Safari, (thanks to a husband who refuses to fly anywhere that takes longer than three hours) I can only compare to my few photo workshop days with an expert wildlife photographer who is able to put you in those good positions and give you those targets.  My first attempt was in 2009 and I turned up with my Canon 450D and my longest lens (which I still have) a 200mm 2.8 thinking I was so sorted gear wise.  I was the only female on the day and surrounded by men with 1D bodies and 600mmf/4 or 400mm 2.8's, all of them were really kind to me, making room for me to get closer and offering so much amazing advice.  If you're interested, this is an album of some of my keeper's from the day.. I was so so proud of them. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jayneboo/albums/72157622336482799/with/3956903664/.  I think I still am 😊.   Just saying... I know it's not only the gear, by a long way.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Boojay said:

To add to this, while I may never have been on Safari, (thanks to a husband who refuses to fly anywhere that takes longer than three hours) I can only compare to my few photo workshop days with an expert wildlife photographer who is able to put you in those good positions and give you those targets.  My first attempt was in 2009 and I turned up with my Canon 450D and my longest lens (which I still have) a 200mm 2.8 thinking I was so sorted gear wise.  I was the only female on the day and surrounded by men with 1D bodies and 600mmf/4 or 400mm 2.8's, all of them were really kind to me, making room for me to get closer and offering so much amazing advice.  If you're interested, this is an album of some of my keeper's from the day.. I was so so proud of them. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jayneboo/albums/72157622336482799/with/3956903664/.  I think I still am 😊.   Just saying... I know it's not only the gear, by a long way.

Very nice indeed. 

• Thanks 1

If the bird is hovering does it count as BIF? 🤨

SL2 & Sigma 105mm Macro

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shawn30 said:

If the bird is hovering does it count as BIF? 🤨

SL2 & Sigma 105mm Macro

of course, if it is "in the air" it is "in flight" :D 
Great shot considering its shot with a 105 macro.. cuz they are not the fastest to focus.. 

• Thanks 1

Title says wildlife but there’s so much about birds I wasn’t sure. Technically this is a BIF (big horn in field) SL2 Sigma 150-600  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2