Wotancraft Pilot 2L Travel Camera Bag for Leica Q3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t like carrying a naked camera over my shoulder where it can get knocked around - especially a camera as expensive as a Q3.  Problem is, I also don’t like carrying a big heavy camera bag either - it defeats the purpose of using a Q3. So in my never-ending search for a perfect Q3 bag I settled on the Wotancraft Pilot 2L Travel Camera Bag to carry the essentials for my Q3. It’s really well designed, doesn’t look like a purse, is well made and waterproof (Teflon coated Cordura), offers all the protection I need, and loaded with the following gear only weighs 3 lbs and is so comfortable I barely know it’s there (I carry it cross-body):  Wotancraft Pilot 2L Travel Camera Bag w/Apple Tag, containing: Leica Q3 in Leica Half Case w/ Leica Thumb Support, PD Rope Neck Strap, Spare Camera Battery & 128 GB SDXC II Cards in Pouch, Wipes & Lens Cloth, and Short USB A/C Cord. 

It runs $100 all in (compare that to an Oberwerth Q3 Bag at $600 - granted that bag is leather) and ships from Taiwan. I have no affiliation with Wotancraft (other than owning some of their bags) - highly recommended!  "PILOT" TRAVEL CAMERA BAG 2L UPGRADED - Handmade camera bags, backpacks, daily bags & watch straps | WOTANCRAFT

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Orlyo said:

Thanks for sharing.   Do you mind attaching a picture with the Q3 in it?   I don't have my Q3 yet but also looking for a bag for it.   

My bag is black as is the Q3 so I don’t think you could see much in a photo using my phone (which I’d need to use since the camera’s in the bag). It fits with either the lens facing down or the camera on its side. It’s snug but no problem getting it in and out. 

3 hours ago, Orlyo said:

Do you mind attaching a picture with the Q3 in it? 

Hope this helps. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also own the Wotancraft Pilot Travel 2 litre bag.

The bag is awesome,  but will only carry a reasonably compact camera and a few batteries and smaller accessories.

I am awaiting a Q and a CL to arrive, so now looking for a bag that'll carry both, without being too big.

I might have to  buy the 7 litre version of the Pilot Travel for times when I take both cameras out.

I can't recommend Wotancraft highly enough. I love their Trooper M (discontinued) bag, but it'll be overkill for 2 compact cameras IMO. I don't like to carry any more weight than necessary when doing street/cityscape type photography.

Bought the Pilot 2L based upon this topic.  It is a very good bag and have used it for 2 days.  My only nit, and a small one, is it is a little snug taking the Q3 in and out because of the half-case on the Q3.  No half case would be no problem. I use the PD modular system so the large neck strap doesn't fit but the small wrist strap does.  To make sure nothing scratches the LCD I will carry the detached wrist strap in my pants pocket.  What is nice about the bag and cam is everything is quite light and it doesn't even seem anything is there.

Bob

6 hours ago, BobsFirstLeica said:

My only nit, and a small one, is it is a little snug taking the Q3 in and out because of the half-case on the Q3.

And now it is a bigger nit.  I discovered the 3rd time I took out the cam today to shoot there was no soft release button.  Evidently taking the cam in and out slightly unscrewed it and it was lost.  Spent some time looking for it at the 2 previous areas and asked others around me to do the same.  Oh well, $75 down the drain.  Now I know better.

Bob

21 hours ago, BobsFirstLeica said:

And now it is a bigger nit.  I discovered the 3rd time I took out the cam today to shoot there was no soft release button.  Evidently taking the cam in and out slightly unscrewed it and it was lost.  Spent some time looking for it at the 2 previous areas and asked others around me to do the same.  Oh well, $75 down the drain.  Now I know better.

Bob

Well, I found the button lodged in a seam at the inside bottom corner of the bag (phew!).  I'm not sure it came off as a result of taking it in and out of the bag.  It may be when turning the camera off (not necessarily on), sliding my forefinger against the side of the button may have caused it to slightly unscrew over time.  At some point it worked its way off.  Going to monitor this in the next couple of weeks.

Bob

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BobsFirstLeica said:

Well, I found the button lodged in a seam at the inside bottom corner of the bag (phew!).  I'm not sure it came off as a result of taking it in and out of the bag.  It may be when turning the camera off (not necessarily on), sliding my forefinger against the side of the button may have caused it to slightly unscrew over time.  At some point it worked its way off.  Going to monitor this in the next couple of weeks.

Bob

Never buy a soft release without an O-ring that sits between the shutter button and the screw thread. I was surprised Leica omitted this and decided to not buy the Leica soft release and got one from Match Technical instead. The O-ring keeps the soft release from coming loose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beewee said:

Never buy a soft release without an O-ring that sits between the shutter button and the screw thread. I was surprised Leica omitted this and decided to not buy the Leica soft release and got one from Match Technical instead. The O-ring keeps the soft release from coming loose.

Thanks for the info.  Being a relatively recent Leica owner (in the last 4 months) I appreciate the advice.

Wotancraft makes wonderful bags. I own one of their larger bags and it has served me well for several years.

I have a cautionary note regarding the Pilot 2L with Leica Q3.

The bag is quite a tight fit with the Q3. If one is using the camera without a handgrip and stock lens hood this bag should work ok with little room for additional accessories.

If on the other hand one is using a Leica handgrip, Thumb support and slightly larger lens hood the Q3 does not fit comfortably in this bag i.e. inserting and removing the Q3 is a real chore (even after eliminating the padded insert)

Furthermore, as has been reported, if one has a soft release button on the camera, at some point one is almost guaranteed to have it come loose and get lost. There simply is too much side pressure being applied on the camera as it’s being inserted and removed from the bag.

I was in search of a compact bag for my Q3 so I purchased this bag. I loved the look and functionality (clever adjustment mechanism on the strap etc).

Unfortunately I ultimately had to return the Pilot 2L for the above mentioned reasons.

Re soft release, I agree with comment re the importance of using O-ring.

My personal favorite are Artisan Obscura soft release buttons ( they include multiple O-rings). Their soft release buttons are not inexpensive but they are high quality, with a superior “feel” and good value particularly when comparing to Leica and other alternatives.

Edited by NicholasT
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, NicholasT said:

Wotancraft makes wonderful bags. I own one of their larger bags and it has served me well for several years.

I have a cautionary note regarding the Pilot 2L with Leica Q3.

The bag is quite a tight fit with the Q3. If one is using the camera without a handgrip and stock lens hood this bag should work ok with little room for additional accessories.

If on the other hand one is using a Leica handgrip, Thumb support and slightly larger lens hood the Q3 does not fit comfortably in this bag i.e. inserting and removing the Q3 is a real chore (even after eliminating the padded insert)

Furthermore, as has been reported, if one has a soft release button on the camera, at some point one is almost guaranteed to have it come loose and get lost. There simply is too much side pressure being applied on the camera as it’s being inserted and removed from the bag.

I was in search of a compact bag for my Q3 so I purchased this bag. I loved the look and functionality (clever adjustment mechanism on the strap etc).

Unfortunately I ultimately had to return the Pilot 2L for the above mentioned reasons.

Re soft release, I agree with comment re the importance of using O-ring.

I have the thumb support and stock lens hood, as well as the half case, currently on the cam and will be getting the O-ring soft release.  With these attached, as I have mentioned, it is a snug "event" removing and reinserting the Q3.  Also, I removed the supplied insert for more room.  Maybe someone else can comment on the following.... In my use case there is really not much more room for anything else in the main pocket.  If I tried to squeeze something else, for example an additional battery, there is risk of scratching the Q3, something I don't want to do.  What I did this past weekend was carry the extra battery in my "usual" small waist pack. That worked well.

Thank you for the soft release suggestion.  Not wanting to spend the premium $$$ for the Oberworth Q bag or something similar I have made a few compromises.  My goal for the Q3 is to create a "carry anywhere," pro cam that seems like one is not carrying anything.  The Wotancraft Pilot 2L just about checks all the boxes to aid in that goal.

Bob 

49 minutes ago, BobsFirstLeica said:

I have the thumb support and stock lens hood, as well as the half case, currently on the cam and will be getting the O-ring soft release.  With these attached, as I have mentioned, it is a snug "event" removing and reinserting the Q3.  Also, I removed the supplied insert for more room.  Maybe someone else can comment on the following.... In my use case there is really not much more room for anything else in the main pocket.  If I tried to squeeze something else, for example an additional battery, there is risk of scratching the Q3, something I don't want to do.  What I did this past weekend was carry the extra battery in my "usual" small waist pack. That worked well.

Thank you for the soft release suggestion.  Not wanting to spend the premium $$$ for the Oberworth Q bag or something similar I have made a few compromises.  My goal for the Q3 is to create a "carry anywhere," pro cam that seems like one is not carrying anything.  The Wotancraft Pilot 2L just about checks all the boxes to aid in that goal.

Bob 

Bob,

I think the fact that you have the half case and I have the Leica grip and a somewhat larger lens hood accounts for our slightly different conclusions about the pilot 2L bag. The half case takes up less space than the Q3 handgrip with its side and front protrusions.

Ironically like you I was also looking for a very compact bag that would just fit my Q3 and was ok with not being able to accommodate accessories. That said, I drew the line on being able to “comfortably” insert and remove my Q3 from the bag.

What I think we should leave readers of this thread with is the fact that the margin between “Q3 will fit” and “Q3 won’t fit” in this bag is quite narrow and will largely depend on number & size of accessories on the camera itself. Naked or with half case tight fit but should be ok. Q3 with Leica Grip, Thumb grip and larger lens hood is too tight and will likely lead to buyers remorse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NicholasT said:

Bob,

I think the fact that you have the half case and I have the Leica grip and a somewhat larger lens hood accounts for our slightly different conclusions about the pilot 2L bag. The half case takes up less space than the Q3 handgrip with its side and front protrusions.

Ironically like you I was also looking for a very compact bag that would just fit my Q3 and was ok with not being able to accommodate accessories. That said, I drew the line on being able to “comfortably” insert and remove my Q3 from the bag.

What I think we should leave readers of this thread with is the fact that the margin between “Q3 will fit” and “Q3 won’t fit” in this bag is quite narrow and will largely depend on number & size of accessories on the camera itself. Naked or with half case tight fit but should be ok. Q3 with Leica Grip, Thumb grip and larger lens hood is too tight and will likely lead to buyers remorse.

Hey Nicholas,

So you tried the bag with the optional handgrip and the original lens hood and cap, correct? And that felt too tight in your experience?

It does look like a nice bag, but if it's a struggle to remove the camera therefrom, that's quite a big red flag...

And the 3,5l version? Too big?

2 hours ago, NicoX said:

Hey Nicholas,

So you tried the bag with the optional handgrip and the original lens hood and cap, correct? And that felt too tight in your experience?

It does look like a nice bag, but if it's a struggle to remove the camera therefrom, that's quite a big red flag...

And the 3,5l version? Too big?

Hi Nico,

Yes I tried it with the optional handgrip. In terms of lens hood I have the Overgaard one that I kept from my Q2 (nice but expensive). That lens hood is slightly larger than the original lens good. I also tried it with the original lens hood and found it to be a tight fit. As previously mentioned in every case I had to remove the internal divider which comes with the pilot 2L bag. With the divider in place the camera simply won’t fit in the bag. 

The bag has a slim additional pocket which with smaller camera should easily accommodate filters, battery etc. With Q3 in place I found it impossible to put anything into that pocket.

I did consider exchanging the 2L for the 3.5L but it would have defeated what attracted me to the Pilot 2L in the first place. I was specifically looking for a bag that would accommodate just the camera and would have been perfectly fine with limitations on accessories. That said, I was not prepared to struggle to remove the camera from the bag when shooting opportunities arose. If the bag were slightly larger or a little less tapered it would be perfect fit for the Q3. It clearly was designed for somewhat smaller mirrorless cameras.

Edited by NicholasT

I agree that it’s snug, and if you have lots of extras on the camera it will be very snug.  But for just the camera, half case, strap and original lens hood it’s fine. I removed the divider since I don’t need it. The front pocket holds my spare battery and sd cards in a small pouch. The back zip pocket holds wipes and a lens cloth. If you want to carry more then the 3.5L will be great. Horses for courses. 

• Like 2