Wotancraft Pilot 2L Travel Camera Bag for Leica Q3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious if anyone has the leather version of the 2l (or 3.5l). I'd love to know if that one has any more give than the nylon version. I have the Q3 with IDSworks grip and thumb support, stock hood. I'm trying to decide between the 2l and 3.5l as my Q3 only bag, and looking at the 7l for Q3 + film camera like Nikon F or Canon AE-1.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:53 PM, alexella said:

Curious if anyone has the leather version of the 2l (or 3.5l). I'd love to know if that one has any more give than the nylon version. I have the Q3 with IDSworks grip and thumb support, stock hood. I'm trying to decide between the 2l and 3.5l as my Q3 only bag, and looking at the 7l for Q3 + film camera like Nikon F or Canon AE-1.

I have the Leather 3,5l, it has enough space for a Q3 with a grip. The 2,5l would be a snug fit for a Q but not anything else.

In my Pilot, I hold my Q2 (no grip), an iPad mini, iPhone 13 mini, along with a glass case, wallet, extra battery, etc. There is plenty of room without becoming too bulky or heavy.

Am 17.2.2024 um 22:53 schrieb alexella:

I have the Q3 with IDSworks grip and thumb support, stock hood. I'm trying to decide between the 2l and 3.5l as my Q3 only bag

I have the same setup as you have. It will all fit in the 2L bag and you can store a 10k maH PD battery and cable as well. Then it will be really snug to get the camera in and out of the bag but it still works. I usually put the powerbank in my backpocket when I‘m out and shooting and store everything back in the bag when I head home. 3.5L bag will offer more space for glasses or filters and so on. Hope that helps. 

Just an update... this morning I received my Wotancraft Pilot 2L bag, and I am thrilled with it. I have the Q3 with a Lim half-case, the Leica thumb support, extra battery, extra memory cards, and a cleaning cloth.

My setup fits beautifully and easily. I can leave the extra lining at the back of the case in, but it's a snug fit (still easy to take the camera in and out). With the extra lining out, everything fits really well and easily (and I think there is enough protection without the extra lining at the backside of the case). Also, the magnetic latch is both fast and secure (you have to know how to open it), and very convenient. Really nice case... I recommend it!

Edited by E.H.
added more info
  • Like 4

vor 12 Minuten schrieb PeXi:

The Tradewind Shoulder Bag 2.6 seems to be a very good alternative
(T1400-1919); is also very cost-effective.
Does anyone have experience with this?

An alternative would be the Tradewind Shoulder Bag 3.6
(T1405-1919) still interesting

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor einer Stunde schrieb PeXi:

Tradewind Shoulder Bag 2.6

doesn't tickle me in the looks department and the zipper is probably not very effective in heavy downpours. I prefer the latch and magnetic buckle of the Wotancraft. Camera is in and out in seconds compared to having to open a zipper every time. But yes, it's really cheap and probably ok if you're not going out in all weather

Been eyeing these bags myself. Would you expect the 2L to not be able to fit a Q3 with hood and cap plus a small flash, like a lightpix labs one (2.3” thick)? Perhaps the 3.5L is better fit that combo. 

On 2/27/2024 at 12:55 AM, E.H. said:

Just an update... this morning I received my Wotancraft Pilot 2L bag, and I am thrilled with it. I have the Q3 with a Lim half-case, the Leica thumb support, extra battery, extra memory cards, and a cleaning cloth.

My setup fits beautifully and easily. I can leave the extra lining at the back of the case in, but it's a snug fit (still easy to take the camera in and out). With the extra lining out, everything fits really well and easily (and I think there is enough protection without the extra lining at the backside of the case). Also, the magnetic latch is both fast and secure (you have to know how to open it), and very convenient. Really nice case... I recommend it!

Does your setup for the Q3 include the original or round hood? Any hand strap attached? 

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have an idea what the return postage is like to Taiwan from the USA? I'm wondering if it's worth it to get both in my hands and then make a decision from there. The testimonials here are helpful, but there's no substitute for trying both yourself.

Although perhaps the better way of looking at it is, buy both, try out, sell the other one. People here would likely be receptive!

Edited by Pindy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pindy said:

Does anyone have an idea what the return postage is like to Taiwan from the USA? I'm wondering if it's worth it to get both in my hands and then make a decision from there. The testimonials here are helpful, but there's no substitute for trying both yourself.

Although perhaps the better way of looking at it is, buy both, try out, sell the other one. People here would likely be receptive!

No idea about the return postage costs, perhaps getting both and compare is a good idea. But, the choice between the 2,5l and 3,5l should not be that difficult. If you only need to carry the Q and essentials, like an additional battery, wallet and phone, the 2,5l should be fine. If you'll need to carry anything else, the 3,5 will allow you to be more flexible without adding to much bulk.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The 2.5 Pilot easily houses a M10 with Telyt 135 attached, or a smaller lens like 75 with room for a spare lens. The front pocket can hold a filter and a spare battery. I have also added some extra padding from another bag to the back and one of the side pannels.

Edited by stephan54

I recently bought the Bellroy camera sling. It is a bit bigger than above, but is very sleek, can carry a bit more daily stuff, and really does not look like.a camera bag. Good protection for the camera too.

I have the Pilot 2L, 3.5L and 7L. The 2L is great for the Q or M with a lens and a few odds and ends, The 3.5 it great for an M with lens attached and a couple more lenses and some odds and ends. When used with the Q there is a lot of room for extra stuff. I use the 7L when I take both a Q and the M with a lens attached and a couple more lenses with room for extra batteries for both and some other odds and ends.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I received both the 2L and 3.5L. I was surprised to like the 2L so much, even though it doesn't really fit anything much else besides the camera. It seems like the right thing when you just want to run out with your camera, for some casual picture-taking.

I am having a harder time with the 3.5L. It's too deep vertically for a Q/M setup, despite having a lot more room laterally. I actually find getting the camera out of the 3.5L more of a faff partly because of the depth and partly because of the webbed flaps on the enclosure.. Worse yet, the size of it gives off—for me—more of a "handbag" vibe than the little 2L, which kind of says "I'm a utility bag of some kind, maybe a camera." That said, looking at their add-on accessories, I see what that extra space can be used for, and it's pretty smart.

That said, I love the straps with the quick-change pull tab thing and the build of these bags is outstanding. I'm a big fan of the Fidlock.

Comparing the 3.5L to my Hadley Digital, I find the Hadley is much easier to get the camera in and out of, as the access is better. There is just enough room for a little Lightpix flash. They look a lot different, of course, but the win for utility might actually go to the Hadley for me.

I plan on a mirrorless DSLR-type camera in future, so I could see the 3.5L possibly fitting that bill. For a Leica Q, I have to play with it a bit more to see if I can make it work for me.

Edited by Pindy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've come around to the 3.5L bag. It's just the right size for a Q and a film SLR with a prime, like my OM-1n with 28mm f/2. Wearing it cross-body is comfortable, works well on the street and I feel no threats to masculinity. Great bags and really nicely made. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2