New film M but can't decide which one

9ine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wouldn't get another film camera as a backup. If my camera had to go for repairs that might take a long time, then I could easily find a used replacement M*, and I could sell it when the original returned, if I didn't like it. Backups are basically a way of turning my valuable cash into something I would be unlikely to use.

However....... I have a M4 and a MP, and three Barnacks: because I like them and like using them. I started out with a plan: MP for Portra, M4 for Delta 400; and one Barnack each with XP2 and a 5cm, Delta 400 and 3.5cm and Delta 3200 and 2.8cm lens. Simple. But then I kept forgetting what film I had in each camera. So now I never have more than two cameras loaded at any one time, but simply load my preferred camera of the moment with film and try to use it up in a reasonably short period of time.

My advice: forget logic, and certainly forget the notion of a backup (the ultimate irrational rationality), but just buy what you want to use if you can't think of a better use for your cash.

* Or any s/h film camera I have always lusted after but never had a chance to use: Contax T2, Nikon F1, Minox B, Rolleiflex.......

Edited by LocalHero1953

On 12/5/2023 at 5:01 PM, a.noctilux said:

As side note not relating to this thread.

Leica had done very good job offering new old-timer M-A (I could not resist in 2014).

This is so retrograde move that was something I could not believe, a new blending of M2/M3/M4/MP.

While I used happily at that time MP, I bough M-A when available and never go back.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236926-i-love-my-m-a/?do=findComment&comment=2707807

A second M-A came later when I sold (trade-in may be more accurate) MP.

Very expensive M but I have no regret at all.

Comparing to digital M, these film Ms are cheap when we think about their life spand.

I couldn’t agree more being cheap considering its lifespan, im always excited whenever there’s an opportunity arise to grab the M film bodies.. recently acquired MP classic, i was torn between this and an MA.. 

10 hours ago, jakontil said:

I couldn’t agree more being cheap considering its lifespan, im always excited whenever there’s an opportunity arise to grab the M film bodies.. recently acquired MP classic, i was torn between this and an MA.. 

I agree, too.  I had a chance to buy a user-grade MA for about $3,000.  The local seller was taking trades and I happened to have a lens on his list and I rarely use that lens.  It would have been about $1,000 net cash.  In the end I passed because the MA overlaps the bodies I have now and I have a couple non-photo things I need want to buy.  

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 7:41 AM, Al Brown said:

While this silver M4-P is not my second film body (just another one) and it is a special edition "70 years" and I also own more than one M10 body I still think it is a brutally awesome and versatile film camera and it gets more love than my other M film bodies at the moment. I have put up a little thread for the camera. Hope you decide in favour.

Now I want one 🥹

• 2 weeks later...

Little update: I tend to overthink things, and I've probably spent over 30 hours poring over pictures and going through every thread I could find on these cameras. I visited my Leica Boutique several times, examining the M-A, but I don't feel it lives up to my expectations when I hold it. On my last visit, they had a new M6 on display. I never understood why people would opt for a new M6 when the original one is half the price. BUT DAMN, that thing looks beautiful. The original M6 was my first Leica, and I love it. I will never sell it since it set me on the Leica path, with many digital bodies following its purchase. It's silver chrome, and I always wished it had been a black M6, but I didn't feel the need to buy a second used one or trade it for one.

Holding the re-release in my hands, it suddenly clicked. The M-A is the perfect camera, but only in a romantic way and in my head. I'm a sucker for the M6, and I love everything about it—the color, the branding, the red dot, the rewind knob. It's the first Leica I used, and I still remember how I walked in and bought my silver version in used but mint condition on a winter night after work on a whim because they had just put it up for sale. Owning a new untouched M6 that is mine from day one makes no difference in terms of the pictures I will take with it, but for some reason, I like the thought of it.

So next week, I will take advantage of the 500 Euro discount Leica has on them here in Germany and buy my second but new M6. I think I'm set for a couple of years with two M6s and an M10-R. I will also have two M6s that my two children can inherit. Additionally, I will send in the old one to get the new MP viewfinder and have it CLA'd.

Edited by 9ine
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, 9ine said:

The M-A is the perfect camera, but only in a romantic way and in my head. I'm a sucker for the M6,

Nothing wrong in choosing M6, nice M as you already know..

Just I would add that you lost opportunity trying non-metered M.

Nothing "romantic" in M-A, non-metered M (like M4/-2/-P , etc.) just kind of liberty not relying on red LED to be free for better seeing the subject.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 10:41 AM, 9ine said:

I will also have two M6s that my two children can inherit. 

I hope your wife realizes the consequences of you ever buying three M6s !

Edited by Mr.Prime

On 12/18/2023 at 10:06 AM, a.noctilux said:

Just I would add that you lost opportunity trying non-metered M.

Nothing "romantic" in M-A, non-metered M (like M4/-2/-P , etc.) just kind of liberty not relying on red LED to be free for better seeing the subject.

There's a clever hack that enables this feature on the MP and the M6 too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anbaric said:

There's a clever hack that enables this feature on the MP and the M6 too

Of course well known* Hack ** from me and well before M4/4-2/4-P/etc. using again after M6/MP.

A Hack is a Hack and if that suits the users ***, it's another story.

* knowing not yet, the one-stage shutter firing, complete framelines with some lenses

and some small details that I forgot

** while searching desperately for red LED when battery was depleted without notice

*** counting M6 and MP users, much more hackers than non-metered M... that's fine

Edited by a.noctilux