M11 to M11p?

Smogg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the opportunity to exchange one of my two M11s with firmware 2.0.2 for a new M11p with the PREVIOUS firmware for an additional payment of €2500.
Do you think I should take advantage of this opportunity?

(I don’t need cryptographic protection of files, I don’t need sapphire glass either, I don’t see any fundamental difference in the appearance of the cameras either. I see only 256 GB of built-in memory and OLD firmware as advantages)

hi Smogg, not much Smoke is offered for those €2500, that's my feel here.  a new firmware is anyway promised for a while already.  why change ? how do you know for sure that the new m11p will not freeze ?

and why not wait for a new m11d ? or are you not in that camp ?

You may soon realise that you need fw 2.0.2 if you need to toggle dust protection on and off and/or if you use uncoded lenses or adapters. In any case, the next fw update will include 2.0.2 features anyway so it's up to you to decide if 256gb is worth 2,500 EUR. It is not for me by far but to each their own..

1 hour ago, Smogg said:

I have the opportunity to exchange one of my two M11s with firmware 2.0.2 for a new M11p with the PREVIOUS firmware for an additional payment of €2500.

(I don’t need cryptographic protection of files, I don’t need sapphire glass either, I don’t see any fundamental difference in the appearance of the cameras either. I see only 256 GB of built-in memory and OLD firmware as advantages)

I would not do so.

45 minutes ago, lct said:

You may soon realise that you need fw 2.0.2 if you need to toggle dust protection on and off and/or if you use uncoded lenses or adapters. In any case, the next fw update will include 2.0.2 features anyway so it's up to you to decide if 256gb is worth 2,500 EUR. It is not for me by far but to each their own..

In addition to increased memory, I am interested in working firmware, since I currently have 2 glitchy cameras on firmware 2.0.2, and Leica does not give any signals about when this will be fixed or whether it is even possible to fix it. 
Both lenses that I usually use have a code and I don't change them, that's why I bought 2 cameras

6 hours ago, Smogg said:

I guess if you don't mind paying 2500 for what amounts to a "firmware fix" for you, then you should go for it.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Smogg said:

With EUR 2500, you can buy more than 20 of 256GB SD card

• Haha 1

@Smogg I would say this is not a good deal; you're paying a lot of money for more storage. 

I honestly think that for that $$ you should work directly with Leica on the issues if you can (through your dealer, etc). They should be able to perform deep diagnostics on your defective cameras and see what, exactly, is wrong with them and why they cause you so much trouble.  

Having said that, I don't have a spare M11 to compare with my (so far) trouble-free M11P (5K shots now and no problems). But Leica should be able to tell you if there's a significant difference in electronics or something that might make a big difference between the models. 

Is there a reason you can't get official help? 

(FWIW, as discussed elsewhere, I also think you need a different field back-up regimen than you've said you use (swapping around formatted, used and re-used cards, IMO, is never, and has never been, a good idea), regardless of what camera you use :) )

17 minutes ago, Jamie Roberts said:

@Smogg I would say this is not a good deal; you're paying a lot of money for more storage. 

I honestly think that for that $$ you should work directly with Leica on the issues if you can (through your dealer, etc). They should be able to perform deep diagnostics on your defective cameras and see what, exactly, is wrong with them and why they cause you so much trouble.  

Having said that, I don't have a spare M11 to compare with my (so far) trouble-free M11P (5K shots now and no problems). But Leica should be able to tell you if there's a significant difference in electronics or something that might make a big difference between the models. 

Is there a reason you can't get official help? 

(FWIW, as discussed elsewhere, I also think you need a different field back-up regimen than you've said you use (swapping around formatted, used and re-used cards, IMO, is never, and has never been, a good idea), regardless of what camera you use :) )

I live in a country under international sanctions. For this reason, Leica is no longer present in my country for some time, although I bought both of my cameras before Leica left. Therefore, we no longer have an official dealer and I don’t have many options for solving the problem.

I wrote to support, asked to return the old firmware to me, I tried several different memory cards, now I’m shooting on the built-in memory, but the problems remain

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I considered doing this when the P was released. 

The only real reason for me is cosmetic and I didn’t consider the ridiculous extra cost justified just for that. 

Edited by Kiwimac
  • Like 1