M11-D?

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/24/2024 at 2:37 AM, grahamc said:

Yes I’m hearing you, for the types of shooting I think a higher resolution sensor is best suited to I would personally value image preview or at least image review.   For everything else (particularly street / documentary) the 10-P doesn’t feel lacking at all. Quite the opposite in fact, I find it perfect for my needs 

Could be wrong here as although I have a M10-D I never did buy a Visoflex 020 which I think worked on the "D"..........If so then you should / would have had image preview through the Viso' and perhaps image review too.........Am I right or wrong?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Smudgerer said:

Could be wrong here as although I have a M10-D I never did buy a Visoflex 020 which I think worked on the "D"..........If so then you should / would have had image preview through the Viso' and perhaps image review too.........Am I right or wrong?

It’s a good point and you are correct there is that option available although I never really seriously considered it. I think the image review is only for the most recent image taken.  I don’t really need it for the things I think 10-D is best suited for and I always thought it would be a bit clunky.

If going to a higher MP version I probably would as I’d probably want to use those MP for different types of photography where framing & exposure is more critical. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 7:04 AM, pippy said:

Apparently that was insignificant in comparison to the very heated discussions regarding abandoning the removeable base-plate feature ("Since 1924") for the M11 release! Hopefully Leica have learned from the outfall of their breathtaking stupidity with this decision and we will be blessed with a return to 'How It Was Ordained in Perpetuity'...

Philip.

I most certainly would have argued for the retention of the base plate, strongly. And I was wrong. Very wrong.

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I most certainly would have argued for the retention of the base plate, strongly. And I was wrong. Very wrong.

😸

I do very much love the historical aspect (100 years! : 1924 - 2024) of the removeable baseplate feature - whether for 'Barnacks', Film M's or Digi-M's - but just 12 hours ago, in response to Borna's 'What if Leica Made a New M?' thread (posted in the film sub-forum) and the question therein asking "What kind of features would you like to see?", my response was this;

"Much as I like the removeable baseplate I don't think anyone would argue against a hinged back being, in practice, a far better system. If a removeable baseplate is a superior idea then why does no other camera manufacturer employ this method nowadays?"

In truth I was merely suggesting one change which would make a Leica-M film camera more practical in use. Personally, however, I would fight tooth-and-nail to retain the archaic design and Practicallity Be Damned!......😸......

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3

i started to visit recently the FredMiranda website (where i try to sell my m10d) and while doing so i found a discussion group discussing just the same topic(s) as we do here, for example that cursed thumb-rest missing on the not-so-hypothetical-anymore M11-D.  they are just so much more outspoken there at FM in this respect.

let me emphasize it here : i find it totally braindead if Leica truly left out that most ergonomic piece of metal on the new D.  in my eyes, such a thumb-rest should anyway become a hallmark, auf gut Deutsch ein Markenzeichen, of the entire M-line ! let the Qs and Ss etc be Bauhaus models, just leave the Ms out of such alta-moda Spiel.  i am aware that not everybody shares this opinion...

in any case, my naïve hope is that Leica will come out soon, for a hefty premium of course, with a triple-function-button-thing that could replace the current power-switch/release buttons, to be done either at a Leica store or in Wetzlar or as DIY-screw-in-thing (least likely scenario) at home.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, pippy said:

"Much as I like the removeable baseplate I don't think anyone would argue against a hinged back being, in practice, a far better system. If a removeable baseplate is a superior idea then why does no other camera manufacturer employ this method nowadays?"

In truth I was merely suggesting one change which would make a Leica-M film camera more practical in use. Personally, however, I would fight tooth-and-nail to retain the archaic design and Practicallity Be Damned!......😸......

Philip.

I'm very much on the side that, at least for the "D" camera, Leica needs to go all in on making the camera as tactile as possible and to be as far removed from an electronic device as possible. 

The M in general is what I use when I want a detox from digital technology. A mechanical rangefinder, an OVF, manual focus, clicky tactile dials instead of buttons and menus... and the D line takes it a step further. I love that I can't feel a glass LCD screen under my hands when I use it.

But removing the screen, in my opinion, is not enough. I can use a case if don't want to feel the screen. The camera needs extra points of difference which lean into it being a digital departure. As stupid as it sounds, the thumb rest was one such thing. It clicks in and out, it feels solid in use, and it's practical. The ISO dial on the back of the M11-D will be a step in the right direction. Again, it's a point of difference from the digital models. A base plate, also as silly as it seems, is another thing that gave the M series a point of difference. You didn't feel a battery release lever... you just felt a solid brass plate with a flip out wing nut and removing it to access the guts is another 'tactile' experience. 

For the D series Leica needs to double-down on the clicks, the levers, the mechanical sounds... it's the camera I pick up when I want to be as far away from digital tech as I can possibly get during the picture making process, while still retaining a digital workflow in post-processing.   I'm more than happy to bring my images into the computer and work with them there, after the image making is done. I just want the process of making pictures in the field to be some meditative time away from touching screens and navigating menus.

Edited by Stevejack
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, Stevejack said:

I'm very much on the side that, at least for the "D" camera, Leica needs to go all in on making the camera as tactile as possible and to be as far removed from an electronic device as possible......I'm more than happy to bring my images into the computer and work with them there, after the image making is done.

Where can I add?

I have an M-D Typ-262. Anything which added to that camera's simplicity was (IMO) Leica heading off in the wrong direction in terms of the '-D' range.

Philip.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sounds as though the train may already left the station but I had the M10-D and loved the thumb rest lever with the f1 Noctilux.  I didn't find it to be a gimmick at all & will personally be somewhat disappointed if indeed it's left off.  For those that actually owned that model I'd be curious to know how many found the lever useful.       

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
vor 5 Minuten schrieb aintchu9:

Sounds as though the train may already left the station but I had the M10-D and loved the thumb rest lever with the f1 Noctilux.  I didn't find it to be a gimmick at all & will personally be somewhat disappointed if indeed it's left off.  For those that actually owned that model I'd be curious to know how many found the lever useful.       

very very useful !  it made the whole exercise with the M10-D a much safer ride, i never dropped it for example !  it's just more ergonomic that way, much less fatiguing !

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who would appreciate a silver D? I think this would look even more classic than black. Unfortunately, Monochrom and D models have always come only in black, and I have no hopes that the M11-D will be any different. But maybe sometime in the future?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, evikne said:

Am I the only one who would appreciate a silver D? I think this would look even more classic than black. Unfortunately, Monochrom and D models have always come only in black, and I have no hopes that the M11-D will be any different. But maybe sometime in the future?

There were some silver M9 Monochrom cameras produced.  I bought one from Wetzlar, but sold it when the M10 Mono was released, and have since regretted that decision ☹️.  

@pippy is now the proud owner of this rather lovely silver Monochrom . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

There were some silver M9 Monochrom cameras produced.  I bought one from Wetzlar, but sold it when the M10 Mono was released, and have since regretted that decision ☹️.  

@pippy is now the proud owner of this rather lovely silver Monochrom . . .

Not wishing to inflict any pain upon you I will resist the temptation to post its 'portrait'...

But yes; I am very happy to own and use such a lovely camera; especially pretty as it had also been enhanced with the addition of the classic top-plate engraving as per your request.

Very Happy Bunny here!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, RF’sDelight said:

Since I was on the fence about buying an M11-P, the confirming rumors of an M11-D now have me waiting for the final announcement.

I hope they keep the thumb rest lever, and if it comes in silver chrome, that would be awesome! 🤩

Or you could wait to see if the latest rumour of a Black Paint M11 is coming.  Of course it might be sold out before it’s announced 😂

• Haha 3

vor 9 Stunden schrieb T25UFO:

Or you could wait to see if the latest rumour of a Black Paint M11 is coming.  Of course it might be sold out before it’s announced 😂

I definitely keep my M10-R BP as the last variant of the M10 family therefore a silver M11-D would be much more interesting to me. 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 3:33 AM, fenykepesz said:

very very useful !  it made the whole exercise with the M10-D a much safer ride, i never dropped it for example !  it's just more ergonomic that way, much less fatiguing !

I didn't much like the aesthetics, but I agree the lever was very useful. I'd note however that I find the lighter weight and "grippiness" of the black M11 to be about as useful as the thumb lever was - they make a big difference. 

Edited by gotium
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1