Looking for M10-D

suddons

11 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Again it is a minor inconvenience but you can still use uncoded lenses should you wish.

26 minutes ago, Matlock said:

You won't regret it. The on/off switch is a non issue, the fake wind lever is rather useful as you don't have a thumbs up planted in the accessory shoe should you wish to use flash or visoflex. I  have the M10-D and M10-R and the M10-D gets by far the most use.

1 minute ago, AndreasG said:

I use 9 lenses with my M10-D, 7 from Leica and 2 from Zeiss ZM in the range 18 to 90mm. Only two lenses bear the 6-bit coding (28, 50mm), the others are not coded and honestly, I don't miss it all.

Thanks for the input both,  coding didn't seem like a huge issue for me also. 

All being well I am collecting my M10-D next week : ) 

• Like 4

Hello suddons,

I bought 2020 almost the last new M10-D. Wished to have a second! Then I bought 2022 one of the last new SL 601. I didn’t choose a great SL2, no SL2-S, M10-R or M11. I got the M10-D and SL 601 knowing what I was doing. It was the best decision I have done ever. The SL fits perfectly to the M10-D, because of the incongruence of no screen and 4 Buttons and congruence of the Maestro II sensors and data size
I use 12 only M lenses, almost Walter Mandlers stars, all in perfect conditions. Many have no bit codings.

Donˋt worry about the pretended disadvantages of the M10-D! With the M10-D you buy a M6 with digital film and can save films. Both the wide elmarit 24 and the Konica Hexanon 21 35 work perfect on the sensor. I don‘t use viewfinders, I sold the almost never used Visoflex.

The on off switch is a great design elemnt of the old III Leicas. Only once I switched to WIFI undeliberately. My Camera is always on, with the lowest time for Auto switch off, I think two minutes. Anyway, I have a backup battery I never needed both on one day.

It‘s a huge difference to have a screen, switched off. Not having a screen is photographing like with a M6. No safety net, no double floor, no security, just life.

Try to find one from Foto Görlitz (Germany), Concept Store (France), Leica Shop (Austria).

Don,t pay more than 7.000,— EUR.

I don‘t believe that M11-D will come. I dislike the huge data, don‘t want to decide between three image sizes, no bottom plate.

enjoy

https://www.slack.co.uk/m10-d.html

https://www.kaisernchen.com/post/leica-m10-d-journal

https://www.35mmc.com/08/06/2021/leica-m10-d-essence-of-photography/?utm_content=cmp-true

Good luck

enjoy th camera, trust your feelings and wish!

regards Chris

Edited by st4u
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, st4u said:

With the M10-D you buy a M6 with digital

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your response - "M6 with digital film"  is precisely what I am after, I started with an M10 P - sold this to fund at M10M (which is pure magic in a black box) in the mean time I bought an Hasselblad x1d ii which was a mistake, dont like the colours or user experience. 

Then I thought about the M6, which is a lovely idea, but just not practical for me, I live in rural France, nearest photo lab is 250km away and I just don't have the commitment to film to develop myself, I know you can send away etc. But then the costs become difficult to justify for my personal circumstances. 

All being well, I collect the M10-D on Tuesday, I am very, very excited at prospect. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10 D now collected : ) it really is a lovely thing in person. 

But the best thing about it is, when I got home and got it out of the box,  apart from adding a strap and formating an SD card, there is nothing else you can do with it, Expect take photos. No screen, no menus, no buttons to format. Perfect. 

Thank you again for all the replys and information. 

• Like 5

vor 16 Minuten schrieb suddons:

But the best thing about it is, when I got home and got it out of the box,  apart from adding a strap and formating an SD card, there is nothing else you can do with it, Expect take photos. No screen, no menus, no buttons to format. Perfect. 

Congrats and welcome!

You will love it!

Suggestion of settings, I have never changed:

M ISO 12.500

Auto Maximum ISO: 6.400

Auto off: 2 min

max. exposure: 1/f

If I reach the photographic limits i like to underexposure. Then before I use lightroom with ISO above 1.600 or massive underexposured dng I use the bought exceptional DxO PureRAW3...

take care not buying now a SL 601 as backup...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, st4u said:

M ISO 12.500

Auto Maximum ISO: 6.400

Auto off: 2 min

max. exposure: 1/f

If I reach the photographic limits i like to underexposure. Then before I use lightroom with ISO above 1.600 or massive underexposured dng I use the bought exceptional DxO PureRAW3...

take care not buying now a SL 601 as backup...

Thank you for setup and PP tips. 

With M10 M and now the M10 D I am set, all that's left to improve is me ! 

Although . . . .  If there was ever an M10/11 Monochrome D, that would be extremely diffcult to ignore : ) 

• Haha 2

...Although . . . .  If there was ever an M10/11 Monochrome D, that would be extremely diffcult to ignore : ) 

keep cool, you can invest the money for old Mandler glas or ZEISS...

- because 60mp will show all errors if you crop in

- will be difficult with long exposure times 1/f

- will provide huge data

- will not have a brass body

there is more than a marketing reason for remake old lenses or the M6 body... the (LEICA) pioneers had built a great heritage without aspherical and apo content

Edited by st4u
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, suddons said:

Congratulations, there's a lot to love about the M10-D. Mine I had had since they first came out, ( via Panajou, Leica dealership in Bordeaux ), and I doubt if I will ever sell it. I have never liked the on/off/wifi rear switch arrangement always wishing that it was situated around the shutter release like all other M's, but really do like / appreciate the "faux" winding lever and have found it an extremely useful feature, and 24mp is to my mind the "sweet spot" for the digital M cameras.

I have had some troubles with it, it's been back to Leica Wetzlar four times for mainly electronic issues but I have stuck with it because it is such a pleasure to use, in my mind it's perhaps the best digital M so far.

Just returned from a three week trip to Ireland and the D was my only digital M. It's good having to wait until you get back to home base before you can go through the files, ( I've always found the Leica Foto's App a complete waste of time, and anyway for more than three years now I've dumped "crack/smart phone" use so I can only access the camera with the App on my iPad which I rarely bring along with me ). I have the same settings as Stu in post# 31 and they've not changed at all since the first set-up, so once you are set-up you are done. Don't bother with an EVF either, had the 020, used it once then sold it.

• Like 2

i will sell my M10-D ... once a new M11-D comes out, provided nothing else significant was changed or added except for the new sensor, a new on/off power switch built into the shutter release button, and than the usual stuff such as better battery, USB-C, internal memory etc etc...  IBIS and BSI are the other big addenda but these are dreams for now.

now, in terms of that 'fake wind lever', i don't want to miss it in a next M1*-D !!!  it's arguably the most ergonomic support system to lock an M camera for any position and direction safely embedded between the following three points of my right hand :

• thumb (on that extended arm of the fake lever)
  • 4 fingers (in the front)
  • ulnar border of the palm (right base plate edge)

this triangular constellation positions the camera body securely and comfortably in my hand as it relies on human anatomy, that's the main muscle group between thumb and the rest of the hand that differentiates us so much from most other beasts in this world.  here are strong muscles that allow holding traditional film and fake-film cameras fatigue-free for long time spans.  i am actually surprised that Leica never offered this fake lever as addendum for the other Ms at a hefty premium...?  don't i deserve a free M11/2-D for this idea ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/18/2023 at 3:30 AM, suddons said:

Wonderful to read about a happy photographer. So take photos, learn, enjoy and just have fun!