M10 Correction lens

MrBan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 

My local Leica store doesn't have correction lenses of the required diopter to try. In the meantime I was wondering whether the field of view one can see through the viewfinder, for example the 28mm frame lines, becomes narrower when the correction lens is fitted because the eye is a little further back compared to without the correction lens? I already struggle to see the 28mm frame lines without spectacles, so I am curious whether they will be even harder to see with a correction lens fitted. 

Thanks in advance. 

Please read the forum   The best way is to go to your optometrist and  use his try-out lenses. The alternative is to use the throw-away spectacles from your local supermarket. The framelines are only minimally affected by a diopter as the eye relief does not change significantly. 

10 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Please read the forum   The best way is to go to your optometrist and  use his try-out lenses. The alternative is to use the throw-away spectacles from your local supermarket. 

Thanks for your response. I do read the forum. Although your reply has nothing at all to do with my actual question, my preferred way to select the correct lens is to try them on the camera. So that is what I will do. Maybe someone else can pipe in with their opinion on the FOV delta with/without the correction lens fitted. 

Edited by MrBan

The FOV delta is determined by the eye relief and not specifically by the diopter strength. If you want to try them all you will have to find a compliant dealer who is willing to order them, most have only a few strengths if any at all, or travel to Wetzlar. For us mere mortals the method I described works flawlessly. An alternative is to send your prescription to WalterLeica who will make one for you. 

23 hours ago, jaapv said:

The FOV delta is determined by the eye relief and not specifically by the diopter strength. If you want to try them all you will have to find a compliant dealer who is willing to order them, most have only a few strengths if any at all, or travel to Wetzlar. For us mere mortals the method I described works flawlessly. An alternative is to send your prescription to WalterLeica who will make one for you. 

Thanks. I think I will wait until I can try one. If the FOV difference is no worse than using spectacles, then I will buy one of the correct strength.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to show that Leica uses the “hold lens between eye and viewfinder “method:  the official diopter choosing tool for dealers. Not in use anymore, sadly. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

We’re all different, including face shape, viewing habits and comfort levels (even for pressing eye against VF), etc.  So I agree that the best way to answer these questions is to experiment. I wear glasses (with thin, flexible frames) AND use a +.5 diopter for optimal viewing and  focusing.  And I have no problem with using my 28 mm lens with the RF.  

I found what works best for me by visiting my local optician and placing their free trial diopters over the VF, keeping my glasses on (as they correct for distance and astigmatism).  All questions answered quickly.

Jeff

Hi! I tried correction lensed in Prague in Foto-Skoda. Finally I buyed +0.5 correction lens. My hit rate is signifally better now.

I wear glasses and I dont see whole frame line when using 28 mm optic. I usually use back screen with 28 mm for focusing and composing