Attaching the lens when camera (m10) is on

SOHODE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I noticed dust on the sensor today in the middle of shooting and I had to fix the issue immediately but I made two mistakes. First I put the shutter speed on B and hold the shutter release button to open the shutter and with a blower removed the dust. I hold the camera in front of a desk lamp so it got bright light for a few seconds...  I had forgotten the camera had an option in the menu to open the shutter for cleaning. and the second mistake... before turning off the camera I attached the lens... It was one of those days... I'm wondering if any of these could make problem for the camera? Thank you

Edited by SOHODE

I don't think there should be any damage to the camera. The difference between using B and cleaning mode is probably that in B the sensor is capturing light (integrating) while in cleaning mode it is not. Even if the light from the lamp was bright it was not concentrated in one spot (which could happen with a lens mounted). If images taken after your cleaning look OK you should be fine. Mounting or unmounting a lens with the camera on is not recommended but will not break anything either.

• Like 1

When the camera is on the sensor has a certain static charge that can attract dust sort of like a magnet. Keeping it off negates that. A bright light on a bare, powered on, sensor is no worse than shooting into the sun with a lens attached.

Thank you!  I was also thinking if cleaning in B mode for 10 seconds in front of a 450 Lumen (15 inch away from light)  could overcharge the sensor and damage it, then the Live View mode potentially could easily damage the sensor which in the sensor get exposed to more concentrated light with a lens on and sometimes for a longer time. 

Edited by SOHODE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

When the camera is on the sensor has a certain static charge that can attract dust sort of like a magnet. Keeping it off negates that. A bright light on a bare, powered on, sensor is no worse than shooting into the sun with a lens attached.

9 hours ago, mujk said:

I don't think there should be any damage to the camera. The difference between using B and cleaning mode is probably that in B the sensor is capturing light (integrating) while in cleaning mode it is not. Even if the light from the lamp was bright it was not concentrated in one spot (which could happen with a lens mounted). If images taken after your cleaning look OK you should be fine. Mounting or unmounting a lens with the camera on is not recommended but will not break anything either.

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

No, it won’t harm the camera but using B is a risky idea. You will break your shutter if your finger slips. Use the proper menu setting. 

It took 10-15 seconds. The lamp was 450 lumen and the camera was 15 inches away. The light shouldn't be concentrated enough to damage the sensor since it wasn't through the lens.  I took some pictures today and I don't see a significant change in the images. There are only a few new dust specks on the sensor.... That's probably because of the static charge in the B mode that you mentioned. I have to clean it again... I'm wondering if comparing the situation with the live view mode that I mentioned earlier makes sense? How the sensor sustain the prolonged charges in the live view mode especially when there's a light source in the image? 

It is very hard if next to impossible to damage a sensor by shining light on it. After all it is made of glass, metal and Silicon. I only heard of one or two cases in the past by prolonged exposure to the sun through a focused lens. Far less sensitive than a shutter curtain. 

2 hours ago, SOHODE said:

It took 10-15 seconds. The lamp was 450 lumen and the camera was 15 inches away. The light shouldn't be concentrated enough to damage the sensor since it wasn't through the lens.  I took some pictures today and I don't see a significant change in the images. There are only a few new dust specks on the sensor.... That's probably because of the static charge in the B mode that you mentioned. I have to clean it again... I'm wondering if comparing the situation with the live view mode that I mentioned earlier makes sense? How the sensor sustain the prolonged charges in the live view mode especially when there's a light source in the image? 

Yes it makes sense. If you point the camera towards the sun with the shutter open, e.g. in live mode, and the lens focussed at infinity there will be quite some energy concentrated in small spot, like a burning glass. I would not do that for any longer period of time. The energy per sensor area unit from an unfocused desk lamp is small compared to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SOHODE said:

The B mode risks your finger slipping off. That will most likely destroy the shutter. A few dust spots are not worth a 1000$ seven month repair. Read the manual and use the sensor cleaning menu item. Static charge and dust is neither here nor there. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2024 at 3:21 PM, jaapv said:

The B mode risks your finger slipping off. That will most likely destroy the shutter. A few dust spots are not worth a 1000$ seven month repair. Read the manual and use the sensor cleaning menu item. Static charge and dust is neither here nor there. 

This actually happened and when the shutter was closing, slightly touched the tip of the rocket air blower but the air blower wasn't completely on the shutter's way to stop it from moving... I tested all the shutter speeds and it seems to be working fine. should I be worried about that? After spending a couple hours and using the sensor cleaning menu and cleaning with air blower for several times I wasn't able to remove the tiny dust spots. It only changed their position. I'm wondering if excessive blowing with rocket air blower is safe for the sensor? it is a real nightmare and I also don't want to send the camera to Leica for a few dust particles. 

Edited by SOHODE

Blowers don't remove dust - they just move it around. It MAY blow it out of the body (maybe more likely if the lens mount it pointed down), but could blow it into the shutter channels or...?

I've used blowers on sensors, but only lightly and until I could clean properly.

20 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

Blowers don't remove dust - they just move it around. It MAY blow it out of the body (maybe more likely if the lens mount it pointed down), but could blow it into the shutter channels or...?

I've used blowers on sensors, but only lightly and until I could clean properly.

I shot 50 shots earlier and everything works fine, shutter and sensor work as they should. If there was any issues it would show in shooting right? 

52 minutes ago, SOHODE said:

This actually happened and when the shutter was closing, slightly touched the tip of the rocket air blower but the air blower wasn't completely on the shutter's way to stop it from moving... I tested all the shutter speeds and it seems to be working fine. should I be worried about that? After spending a couple hours and using the sensor cleaning menu and cleaning with air blower for several times I wasn't able to remove the tiny dust spots. It only changed their position. I'm wondering if excessive blowing with rocket air blower is safe for the sensor? it is a real nightmare and I also don't want to send the camera to Leica for a few dust particles. 

You were extremely lucky Your shutter should be a salad of shutter blades.

Just read the FAQ instructions. If it is just a few spots use the Arctic Butterfly; if it is more give it a wet clean following the instructions and with the camera in sensor cleaning mode. If you don't trust yourself head to your local camera shop and have them clean it for you. There is absolutely no need to send the camera in to Leica. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaapv said:

You were extremely lucky Your shutter should be a salad of shutter blades.

Just read the FAQ instructions. If it is just a few spots use the Arctic Butterfly; if it is more give it a wet clean following the instructions and with the camera in sensor cleaning mode. If you don't trust yourself head to your local camera shop and have them clean it for you. There is absolutely no need to send the camera in to Leica. 

I’m probably going to take it to a camera shop since I already tried too much.  I was lucky. so since the shutter is working there shouldn’t be any damage right? Also do you think there’s any way to damage the sensor or something else with blowing air? 

Only if you use a canned air spray. That can destroy your sensor. A bulb blower is safe as long as you don’t poke it into the shutter.