Upgrading from the M10-R to the M11? On the fence…

petereprice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently an owner of the M10-R and all Leica glass.  Love the little package.  But yesterday I had the opportunity to check out the M11 at the store and was surprised at how much I liked it!  Really loved the weight savings on the new body.  Felt a bit faster than my M10-R despite reviews I read of it feeling slower.  Image quality looked amazing. 
So now naturally the pull is real and I’m thinking about trading in my M10-R for the M11.  
I’m inclined to buy new because of all the horror stories of the first few batches with QC issues and freezing issues that seem to have been worked out with later iterations and updated firmware.  
The two big features that really pull me towards the camera is it’s new and improved weight and the tri-resolution option.  I just got the Q3 so I feel like having the M11 would couple well with it.  Especially having the 50 Lux to match up with the Q3’s 28 Lux.  
But then again I also think the M10-R is kinda in that sweet spot and also still embodies the traditional M design.

So I’m on the fence! 🤣😬. Thoughts?  
Do I take the plunge?  Should I wait till the rumored M11-P comes out?  
Unfortunately I can’t afford to keep both at the moment.  
Anyone here upgrade from the M10-R to the M11 and regret it?

• Like 1

I have both 35FLE AND 50FLE lenses that I thought were my ultimate M240 lens choices, which I enjoyed for some time.

When circumstances allowed an APO50 purchase, I was speechless for many years as to how different and more heartfelt the APO images were(are), and this was replicated again on my M10-R.

Might I suggest upgrading your 50FLE to an APO50, before changing from your M10-R, you won’t be disappointed.

IMHO, USB-C and battery life are game changers. Depending on much more you’d have to spend, of course. The freezing issue stinks (it happens to me periodically when I use my uncoded elmarit 28mm) but it’s easily dealt with by popping the battery out for a second. The convenience of USB-C makes it worth it. 

Edited by magnolia
  • Like 1

I replaced my M10-P with an M11. Overall, I think the sensor is way better as I often shoot in challenging light situations and the M10-P produced weird black dots in the darker areas if you pushed the exposure. That really helped to get rid of this phenomenon. Overall, the M11 feels way more modern but modern/new features always bring downsides which you mentioned already, freezes, the shutter behavior to achieve the metering also in rangefinder mode etc. 

Probably, If I was you with the M10-R I'd wait for the M11-P if the look without the Leica logo is something for you! 

I also heard a couple of people in my extended network that they decided to go for the M10R instead of the M11 as they felt it looked too digital and the M10R rather provides the "Leica look" if it exists 😉 in the end I believe really personal preference and if you like the look, I think you cannot go wrong.

What I didn't like is that when I sold my M10P to fund the M11, I lost too much money so that I had to add too much on top. And i don't know whether the money to compensate the gap really was worth the added features 😉 - At the end of the day, the M11 is a great modern camera and will keep you up to date for the next years until the M12 will be released! Then it is probably more advantageous to fund the upgrade again than switching from M10 to M12...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also upgraded from the M10R to the M11, however not for saving weight (I went from silver to silver), but for all the other improved features. If it is only for weight reasons alone and you don’t get a really sweet upgrade deal, I don’t think it’s worth it. However, for me the upgraded sensor, USB-C, battery life and the better exposure metering were worth the upgrade. On top, I DID have a sweet upgrade path. USB-C alone is a huge deal for me, I have cables basically everywhere (including in all my cars). 

• Like 1

At this point we're halfway though the cycle to the next model. I'd use and enjoy what you have and know and wait for the M12, where theoretically the teething issues of the M11 will be worked out. But then again, it being Leica, expect it to have its own new set of issues, albeit being the only camera of its kind and why we love them. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback and perspective! Especially those who have traded up from the M10-R and went for the M11. Given the fact that there may be a M11-P on the near horizon (based on comments and rumors online) I think it's worth waiting. So I'm gonna stick by my M10-R for now. And we'll see what Leica comes out with and if the M11-P doesn't turn out to be what I'm looking for it's not like I can't get the M11 at that time!  🙂. And for those that asked why I would wait for the M11-P, I typically tape over the Leica logo, on my cameras because they are distracting and attract attention when trying to shoot even friends in candid style. It'd be nice to not have to put gaffer tape on my camera. 🙂. Also it seems the P versions always have enhanced features and I can only assume learnings from the freezing incidents from the M11, so it seems it's worth waiting another couple of months. I'm not in a rush! I may even rent an M11 for a weekend, just to compare against my M10-R while I wait.

If budget is a consideration, my advice would be to get an m11, if you can get it at a discount from an AD. When the m11p comes out, it will be full price for a while and will cost more than the m11. I purchased an aftermarket black dot for mine to make more conspicuous than the red dot, but that's personal preference. Now at retail, I would just wait for the m11p as it's likely to come before the end of the year. Only upgrade push I may have would be IBIS, which I highly doubt would be on a p model as it would prob hurt m11 and monochrome sales. However, maybe on the m12 🤷‍♂️.

Makes sense to wait. Either you like what you see in the M11-P, or you get a M11 discounted, either new or from someone wishing to upgrade to the P. Either way, you can only win. 

I would upgrade now only if you find someone willing to pay good money for the M10R.

Btw. as you mentioned several times freezes… my M11 is pretty bullet proof in the meantime (something I can’t say about my Q3-yet). 

Forums can be deceiving especially about Leica bugs. If you read old comments, they are full of problems but those get ironed out regularly via firmware updates. 

• Like 1

Am 23.8.2023 um 14:53 schrieb WvE:

Upgrading will of course not improve your photography, but if you decide to upgrade, I would in any event wait for the P.  

WHY?

The M11 will still be here when the M11-P will be announced.

Edited by M11 for me

I didn’t upgrade from the R but a regular M10. I just use Leica digital and film cameras for fun. 

The light weight and gripper feel (black model), sensor, metering, the increased battery life, the removal of the bottom plate, usb c and the wireless improvements have been real upgrades that have aided my enjoyment and refined my workflow. it feels like a far larger improvement than I felt from m240 to M10.

I haven’t experienced any freezing in the short amount of time that I have owned it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did exactly this. I was offered - before it ever hit the public - a 6 month old M11 in mint condition. 

I liked the M10R a lot but the 11 is definitely better now the issues are pretty much ironed out. 

I’d originally wanted to wait for the M11P but the saving on the 11 was too good to miss. 

I don’t regret it at all. It’s an excellent camera and the upgrades over the 10R are worth it to me anyway. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 2:00 PM, petereprice said:

Really loved the weight savings on the new body

That’s the wink from the M11 to me also. But I’m so happy with the colors of the M10-R that I don’t dare to step over. Plus, I’m already too fucked-up by the too extensive menu of the M10-R, what will the M11 bring me with it’s 3 levels of resolution? 

Edited by otto.f

51 minutes ago, otto.f said:

That’s the wink from the M11 to me also. But I’m so happy with the colors of the M10-R that I don’t dare to step over. Plus, I’m already too fucked-up by the too extensive menu of the M10-R, what will the M11 bring me with it’s 3 levels of resolution? 

Usb c charging 🤪🤪🤪

i use the m10r in conjunction with m11, they are pretty much equal for my usage, basically, just a back up to the other bodies, we r in good hands 

I recently upgraded from a M10M to an M11M and at the same time still have an M10R, on of the main confusing points when using both at the same day is the differences in menues and buttons. I meanwhile like the logic of the M11M better and always have to think twice on the M1OR 🙂 and I also wonder whether I want to upgrade and will probably do when I find a decent 2nd hand M11...