M11 or M10-D

ecpwll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey all,

First post here!  So I am in the market for a new camera, and I am looking to finally buy a Leica.  I was going to pull the trigger on an M11, but then I found an M10-D for sale which I was also very interested in at one point a while ago but couldn't find one to buy.  The M10-D for sale is in mint condition, selling at the same price as a new M11.

Obviously it is a fairly silly question as it is such a personal decision, but just in case it helps me decide– which one would you get and why?

I would find it difficult to pay that much for an M10D given its several years old and it's price should be closer to the M10P than not (on paper anyway). Due to scarcity, its used price has risen a fair bit (apparently under 2000 of them were made).

Whether to go for it really depends on what experience you want. I've had the M10D and it is novel, but eventually you can train yourself not to review pictures on your days out and just review them at home. One can turn off auto review for pics or get a case which covers the back. It's not the same, but for me it was close enough (do note that having a case which covers the LCD makes the camera fatter. I don't use one because of that). If you've shot film, the M10D gets close to a digital-film experience (unless you connect to WiFi outside and review pics outside), without time spent to process film.

At its current price, I just feel you really have to like the M10D to go for it (and for me, I could only decide whether to keep it or sell it after using it for a while, keeping in mind the other Ms I've used so I could assess whether I preferred it over the more standard Ms).

If I really enjoyed the no LCD experience I'd have happily kept the M10D as my only camera, even though it is older than the M11. It is more than capable and I absolutely loved the faux advance lever as a thumbrest. Before I sold it I was using it in tadem with my M10 Monochrom, and wanted to focus on b&w shooting, so I kept the M10M. I also appreciated having an LCD screen to review pics when I was travelling or taking pictures for friends and family. For day to day stuff, having no LCD was fine. I now have an M11 and have no real complaints about it - as a whole I'm very pleased with the all-roundedness of the M11. If you've not shot with an M before, the M11 should be a more gradual transition into rangefinder shooting (given you can use the LCD, short of buying the evf). 

Long story short, it's really down to personal preference. Hope my personal experience helps!

If I wanted a no-screen experience, I’d buy a film M and build another darkroom. But those days are over for me, and I now appreciate digital benefits.  But I’m also not an early adopter, and am already fully satisfied with an M10 Monochrom (and M9 Monochrom) and M10-R.  So, neither of your considerations.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50 minutes ago, chasdfg said:

I would find it difficult to pay that much for an M10D given its several years old and it's price should be closer to the M10P than not (on paper anyway). Due to scarcity, its used price has risen a fair bit (apparently under 2000 of them were made).

Long story short, it's really down to personal preference. Hope my personal experience helps!

The M10D sold new for $8995.  It shouldn't be the same price as a new M11.  I agree with the above that I would REALLY want a M10D to buy one for anywhere close to a M11. The tech and advancements in the M11 wouldn't allow me to pay even $6500 for a M10D.  I've got a buddy that brokers new Leica from a few vendors.  He can get you a new M11 for between $8100 and $8200.  If that helps you make a decision, let me know.  

M11.

If you want the 'no display experience' of the M10D at a fraction of he price, buy a M9 or M9-P and do not CHIMP. The display has too low resolution for anything other than basic checking anyway. Make sure the M9 has a replaced sensor if you go for it. (sensor needs to be from 2016 or later to avoid oxidation issues)

Never used one but I did like the concept of the M10-D.

I would not pay the same price for one as an M11, even if it was new, I do not think - unless I had a crystal ball that told me I could sell it for twice as much in 5 years. (Sadly I did not when I sold my f1 Noctilux for a song just before Leica announced the M8...)

Here in NZ the M10-R new is several hundred dollars more than the M11 new. Apparently to do with the exchange rate when the two cameras were priced.

I have the Leica M-D model without screen.
It is difficult. I'm very happy with my M-D but if I had to swap between an M11 and my M-D I'd probably take the M11. There are so many improvements.

Had the M10D been somewhat cheaper than an M11 the answer would have been different. If you are into a screenless camera then your M10D will be a camera you will keep longer than an M11 - I think.

But the price is too high for M10D.

If you need to use the camera professionally. Then you need to check that the picture is ok.

I only use my MD as my "go to town" camera. For jobs I have for clients I use other cameras. (Canon R3)

M11 could also be one of those I use professionally because of the screen - if I had one 🤤

Edited by Kim Dahl

A used M10D may be offered at the same price as a new M11, but that doesn't equate with value.  I had the D but eventually sold it when the novelty wore off.

I agree with @Jeff S if you really want a no screen camera, go with film - the new M6 looks lovely - otherwise the latest tech in a M10R or M11 is definitely preferable.

M11 is a much more functional camera for me.

I would hate to go back to M10 with blowing out highlights or heavy underexpose.

M10 cameras are limited for shooting fast lenses wide open without ND filter.

The M10-D is dependent on setting up camera true FOTOS app, seams a challenge in the future to get the app still working for old cameras.

• Like 1

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Photoworks:

M11 is a much more functional camera for me.

I would hate to go back to M10 with blowing out highlights or heavy underexpose.

M10 cameras are limited for shooting fast lenses wide open without ND filter.

The M10-D is dependent on setting up camera true FOTOS app, seams a challenge in the future to get the app still working for old cameras.

I can fully support that. The M11 is a big jump foreward in terms of sensor and functionality (first of all the metering system which is great). Once I had the M11 the M10 had no chance to come back. 

vor 10 Minuten schrieb M11 for me:

I can fully support that. The M11 is a big jump foreward in terms of sensor and functionality (first of all the metering system which is great). Once I had the M11 the M10 had no chance to come back. 

To come back to my comments and to be more complete 😉😉😉

I fully agree If the choice is M10 or M11, there is no hesitation. For me the major points are:

- Multi resolution sensor

- better battery

- USB

• Like 1

i would have kept the m10D knowing how much regrets i have to live with, bought when it was first release so price was oke, but right now, i wouldnt pay for what it's priced, way too much and besides for that same amount of money, i would either prefer m10r or m11

that despite my belief that m10d is the best digital M for my case, but still...