M11 or M10-D

ecpwll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, M11 for me said:

I can fully support that. The M11 is a big jump foreward in terms of sensor and functionality (first of all the metering system which is great). Once I had the M11 the M10 had no chance to come back. 

That’s because you’d have to change your forum name.  Too bad you won’t get to enjoy the M12 and beyond.

Jeff

• Haha 5

Buy the M11, add a Leica M60.  M60's can be found on occasions at very good prices and it is the most stripped down version of any digital M, no self timer, no cable release, totally stripped and built like a tank.    

What a great choice, have fun.  What lens will you be using?  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, darylgo said:

Buy the M11, add a Leica M60.  M60's can be found on occasions at very good prices and it is the most stripped down version of any digital M, no self timer, no cable release, totally stripped and built like a tank.    

as much as i loved the m60, m10d boast much slimmer form factor, for consideration of course

20 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

And without strap lugs, a case/strap adds more bulk.

Jeff

exactly, i have to put up with a case to feature the strap which was not tailored to my liking, and one cant use wrist strap... wish there was a normal lug strap the least but may be for a cleaner looks... compromised necessary

47 minutes ago, jakontil said:

exactly, i have to put up with a case to feature the strap which was not tailored to my liking, and one cant use wrist strap... wish there was a normal lug strap the least but may be for a cleaner looks... compromised necessary

No strap lugs is a “what were they thinking” design flaw, the provided case is huge however there are workarounds. Strap attached at the baseplate tripod socket and many M240 cases have snap wings that hold a strap.  

4 hours ago, darylgo said:

The thing is, the M Edition 60, is only an Edition 60, if it is complete as released with lens, box..... Otherwise it's simply a stripped-down M Typ240 without rear screen.  Since too many people think the body is worth more because it was so expensive in kit form, if someone wanted an older M to go with their new M11 (I can't imagine why) the Typ240 would be the exact same experience but far more economical unless you found an Edition 60 on the cheap.  The issue with that is because production was so low, that doesn't happen often. 

Edited by DenverSteve

Only you can answer this question. The experience of using M60/M-D/M10-D is like no other. It’s not a ‘digital’ film and it’s definitely not a ‘normal’ digital with back screen covered. If it’s for you, then based on my experience you won’t be able to get back to either film or normal digital. Not many people appreciate these cameras which is why some are predicting that the M10-D will be the last of its kind. For me, there’s nothing like the workflow they offer (I prefer the M10-D and will never go back to either film M or normal digital M): Focus on the essentials in the field, transfer DNG files; Edit in Lightroom; Print/save/delete final image. Sometimes you miss the perfect shot, sometimes you completely surprise yourself. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 4:52 PM, M11 for me said:

I can fully support that. The M11 is a big jump foreward in terms of sensor and functionality (first of all the metering system which is great). Once I had the M11 the M10 had no chance to come back. 

Having come from an A7Riv into the Leica system, I can quite imagine the M11 sensor also leaves the 10 series feeling lacking. 

However, the ergonomics and shooting experience of the 10-D is just incredible and for me works as a trade-off for now versus the vastly superior sensors of the cameras mentioned above.  

I believe it also depends on your style of photography, for me (street and people in generally good light) I don’t feel that the less capable sensor hinders me at all.  But I’m sure for applications such as landscape or low light I’d be wanting something “better” 

I’m really hoping we get an 11-D as I’d love to be a little more future proofed , but at the moment very happy.  

I don’t feel any future lack of support for 10-D/Fotos integration to be a big deal because once you’ve set up the camera for your use you never need to use it again if you are using a 10-D as many of us would wish to (an analogue experience in digital body). 

The price of the 10-D option mentioned is too expensive though, as others have commented. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've had two M10-Ds, one a late beta and the second which I still use regularly.  It's solid, improved and simplified over the M10-P.  Shooting with it feels really inconspicuous, since there is no temptation to chimp or obsess over settings.  No level gauge.  I like the faux film advance, which works well as a handgrip extender.  I wouldn't buy one today, as the M11 is far more capable in low light or at high resolution.  But I'm not giving it up, while I usually sell M bodies when better sensors come along (but NEVER a Leica lens!).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I've had two M10-Ds, one a late beta and the second which I still use regularly.  It's solid, improved and simplified over the M10-P.  Shooting with it feels really inconspicuous, since there is no temptation to chimp or obsess over settings.  No level gauge.  I like the faux film advance, which works well as a handgrip extender.  I wouldn't buy one today, as the M11 is far more capable in low light or at high resolution.  But I'm not giving it up, while I usually sell M bodies when better sensors come along (but NEVER a Leica lens!).

the only body that i regret selling till today, though it was used to fund my MP but still.. the best experience in M digital, just perfection for my style of shooting

Am 29.12.2022 um 23:54 schrieb ecpwll:

Hey all,

First post here!  So I am in the market for a new camera, and I am looking to finally buy a Leica.  I was going to pull the trigger on an M11, but then I found an M10-D for sale which I was also very interested in at one point a while ago but couldn't find one to buy.  The M10-D for sale is in mint condition, selling at the same price as a new M11.

Obviously it is a fairly silly question as it is such a personal decision, but just in case it helps me decide– which one would you get and why?

Hey ecpwll,

As always, it depends...

For taking photos, I would take the M11.

For collecting cameras, I would take the M10-D.

As I have already two M10Rs and don't feel the need to have an M11 for taking photos, I would take the M10-D, if forced to buy either the M11 or the M10-D. 

• 1 month later...
Am 1.1.2023 um 02:58 schrieb LeicaM60:

Only you can answer this question. The experience of using M60/M-D/M10-D is like no other. It’s not a ‘digital’ film and it’s definitely not a ‘normal’ digital with back screen covered. If it’s for you, then based on my experience you won’t be able to get back to either film or normal digital. Not many people appreciate these cameras which is why some are predicting that the M10-D will be the last of its kind. For me, there’s nothing like the workflow they offer (I prefer the M10-D and will never go back to either film M or normal digital M): Focus on the essentials in the field, transfer DNG files; Edit in Lightroom; Print/save/delete final image. Sometimes you miss the perfect shot, sometimes you completely surprise yourself. 

It´s all said! completely happy with M10-D (new bought 21). In addition a SL (new bought 22) and a historic M6, nothing more.

And then only (vintage) M lenses...

Edited by st4u

I thing the M-D will give you the best experience - unless you really need to print very (very) large … The M10-D is a pleasure to use.

But is you are looking at a first M - just pick a M9 and a better glass ! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Interesting. I had an M10D for a couple of months back in '21 - I loved the look and feel of the camera. Its beautiful. However it is limiting in that you can't quickly check focus or switch to live view if you want to use a trip (I don't do that much!). In the end I went back to B&W film and have an M7 and an M10P. I probably would have got another M10-D instead of the P, but I was being offered them at about £1500 more and not in the UK. It made no sense as its simply a less capable camera than a 10-P - so no way would I pay more for it.....