Would you consider an M Monochrom (type 246) in 2023?

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would you consider an M Monochrom (type 246) in 2023? A friend is upgrading and is offering a very good price ($3000). Will put it on classified if I don't take it, but at a higher price.

Edited by kivis

• kivis changed the title to Would you consider an M Monochrom (type 246) in 2023?

A factor to consider: High ISO performance is quite good. The 246 seems to best the M10, in that regard.

This review helped convince me to buy an M Type 246 Monochrom, in 2018 or 2019, even though I already had an M10:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2015/04/leica-m-monochrom-typ-246-review/

This comparison helped to convince me to keep using the M Type 246 Monochrom, first in 2021, and then again last year, in 2022, rather than upgrade to an M10 Monochrom:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/05/bw-iso-showdown-2020-leica-m10-monochrom-vs-m-monochrom-typ-246-vs-m10-p-vs-sl2/

I had dropped my still-quite-new M10, which meant it would be away, for repair, for quite some time. Buying a pre-owned 246 allowed me to continue shooting with the M system. Continuing to use the M system meant that I was less likely to impulsively sell my only M lens, and be done with the M system, which could have resulted in my being done with photography. I had added the M system, as a post-retirement therapy to learn to love shooting, again, after having the toxic experience of photography crime scenes, and especially crime victims, during the final seven years of my career in public service. So, the 246 not only allowed me to try something different, the timing of its acquisition may have saved me from quitting photography.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, kivis said:

Would you consider an M Monochrom (type 246) in 2023? A friend is upgrading and is offering a very good price ($3000). Will put it on classified if I don't take it, but at a higher price.

Three thousand bucks or pounds or euro seem to be going rate for the M246.  If you fancy dedicated mono camera it is a good buy.  Later models come with higher resolution and better high iso performance however M246 performance is more than good enough unless you wish to photograph black cats in the coal mine or such like. 
I had a look at M11M couple of months ago aiming to replace my M246.  My conclusion is there is nothing in M11M that I couldn’t do with my current camera, in fact I feel M11M electronic shutter is poor implementation of the concept, especially with slow scan time.  Until Leica starts making and selling state of art electronic shutter cameras (like Nikon Z9/ Z8 models) I’ll pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Three thousand bucks or pounds or euro seem to be going rate for the M246.  If you fancy dedicated mono camera it is a good buy.  Later models come with higher resolution and better high iso performance however M246 performance is more than good enough unless you wish to photograph black cats in the coal mine or such like. 
I had a look at M11M couple of months ago aiming to replace my M246.  My conclusion is there is nothing in M11M that I couldn’t do with my current camera, in fact I feel M11M electronic shutter is poor implementation of the concept, especially with slow scan time.  Until Leica starts making and selling state of art electronic shutter cameras (like Nikon Z9/ Z8 models) I’ll pass.

The M11M has a mechanical shutter. 

Personally I think 3k is a little high for a 246.  I'd prob be looking to spend closer to 2500 for one. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, kivis said:

I bought a M246 last spring, and i must say that it is the best camera i ever had. It has been with me in Ethiopia, Rwanda, Thailand, the Philippines and in many European countries to, and for me it is just a perfect camera.

I especially like the high iso performance.

I had a M10 to which i like very much, but had many problems with. To times send to Wetzlar, and its still not working as it should be.

I payed around 3100 dollar for my M246.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mediumformula said:

Personally I think 3k is a little high for a 246.  I'd prob be looking to spend closer to 2500 for one. 

There is a new kid on the block too a Pentax K3 Monochrome that looks pretty good for their price.

I got a M246M last year and am enjoying it a lot, so much that I'm also eyeing a M240P and I have no desire for an M10M or M11M, for me the improvements of those are not worth the price difference. The M9M can also be a very good buy if you don't want/need live view, but the prices are (imo) driven up a bit too much given the M9/CCD sensor "cult status"

Edited by pegelli
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jaapv said:

I would prefer the M9M over the M246.

I understand.

The first Monochrom has something in the final rendering that can not be found on the M246.

I'm lucky to use the two Monochroms and I'm not been able to choose which one to keep, as the two are good Monochrom M, each in it's own way.

If I'm forced to  use only one, it would be the first Monochrom which is more "analog" with more M soul than the later more featured M246.

Anyway, I think that each one of us can do well with either of Leica M Monochrom.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, mediumformula said:

You are correct but it only works in manual mode, fastest speed 1/4000sec, just like any other digital M camera except original M8.  If you wish to go faster in auto mode that is where you find electronic shutter. It is all explained in camera fact sheet.

Sure, 2500 sounds better than 3000. I want be selling mine.

I consider the M246 a superb gateway into Monochrom photography. Plenty of resolution for nice big prints (certainly into the 16x20 range), good battery life, and a comparative bargain as well, at least in comparison to subsequent models. 

Only thing is, if the M246 grabs you, you'll be on a potentially slippery slope as subsequent models come deeper into the used market.

Or, simply smile and produce outstanding results with the M246... It's a great camera body. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mmradman said:

You are correct but it only works in manual mode, fastest speed 1/4000sec, just like any other digital M camera except original M8.  If you wish to go faster in auto mode that is where you find electronic shutter. It is all explained in camera fact sheet.

Sure, 2500 sounds better than 3000. I want be selling mine.

The mechanical shutter in my M11 works in auto shutter mode, just as it did in my M10M.  I'm not sure what you're talking about.  If you don't like the electronic shutter on the M11M then just disable it, which is what I did.

Why consider an expensive Mono camera when excellent conversions from  DNG files from my M-P.  

Everyone's taste differers anyway so why not just do what you like? Not what the rabble tell you?

I read the MM cameras give slightly more tonal range, slightly sharper images and higher ISO by a stop or two, very minimally except by peeping. All things I can live without.

Happy with my M8's and M-P and conversions.

Wouldn't think of an MM, and frankly defy anyone to tell the difference..except by guessing 🤔 

That has been discussed as nauseam in many threads since the M9M came out. I suggest that it is not the subject of this thread   The best answer is probably that Monochrom owners are happy with their choice of camera for whatever  reason and non-owners wouldn’t be for their own reasons. 
Let's stick to the subject of the thread: the procurement of an older type of Monochrom  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The question is "would YOU ...?",

so individual answers needed,

in the end the decision is from the OP, anyway.

I just add that the M246 battery is the same as other M type 240 family, big capacity.

Monochrom  only M has built-in "B&W mindset" and in my experience that is already something.

Video in B&W from M246 is new for me, I'll try this feature one day, with colored filter, this must be quite a fun experience.

• Like 3