Mono v Mono (new Pentax Monochrome DSLR v M11M)

sometimesmaybe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pentax / Ricoh has just released / announced a new monochrome DSLR / APSC camera.

The timing is a tad convenient (right before the launch of the M11M), but i wonder how it performs against all the M Monochroms.

Is anyone here interested or at the very least, a tad curious about the Pentax / Ricoh offering?

Pentax K-3 Mark III Monochrome

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/pentax-k-3-mark-iii-monochrome/

Edited by sometimesmaybe
  • Like 4

• sometimesmaybe changed the title to Mono v Mono (new Pentax Monochrome DSLR v M11M)

I am sure it will be a very good camera. But let‘s be honest, it is so ugly in comparison to a M Monochrome. And if I use a camera which in reality nobody needs I want to have this wonderful haptic feeling when I use a M camera.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I read about it yesterday in another forum and am looking forward to the reviews. It has what I want: SLR (optical view finder), autofocus, 16-35 equivalent zoom which my only current option is the WATE. I might sell my SL2. The cropped sensor doesn’t bother me. 

• Like 3

vor 3 Stunden schrieb sometimesmaybe:

Pentax / Ricoh has just released / announced a new monochrome DSLR / APSC camera.

The timing is a tad convenient (right before the launch of the M11M), but i wonder how it performs against all the M Monochroms.

Is anyone here interested or at the very least, a tad curious about the Pentax / Ricoh offering?

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/pentax-k-3-mark-iii-monochrome/

Ok, forget my statement! I have seen the price from the new Mono M11: 9450 Euro! I am in love with the Pentax(and I will keep my Mono I)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, FrozenInTime said:

The K3iii monochrome holds no interest ... but if the same APS-C sensor drops in to the GRIII/IIIx, then that gets my attention.

It sounds like an absolutely perfect fit, both from a philosophical standpoint and from a standpoint of the user base. Also the GR cameras are cheap enough that you can truly afford to have both. I hope they offer it in the GRIIIx, as that is my preferred, but I could see them just offering it in the GRIII standard to try the waters. Having an M11 and M11M with even one lens to share between them will set you back as much as a car, while a color and monochrome GR would probably still cost under 2000 dollars. Obviously they are not the same market, but it makes it a lot easier to buy a monochrome camera for occasional use or more specialized use, whereas to do the same with an M camera you have to have a very large amount of disposable income indeed.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dpitt said:

I would be interested if it was FF and mirrorless. The I would wait for a few years and buy it dirt cheap for use with my R lenses.

same here. i like mucking around with vintage 135 glass. i want the full fat FOV and rendering. that said... a pocket GR mono would be cool 

Am 13.4.2023 um 17:47 schrieb FrozenInTime:

The K3iii monochrome holds no interest ... but if the same APS-C sensor drops in to the GRIII/IIIx, then that gets my attention.

Saw a nice video from a Ricoh GR brand ambassador who tried the Pentax mono. Mono sensors are not good at highlight recovery. When you expose for the highlights, the images are very underexposed which is no problem because the shadow recovery in postprocessing is really good. But it makes the EVF or camera screen less useful. The opinion of this guy was, that a mono sensor goes best with an optical viewfinder and he can't think of a GR with mono sensor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 4:24 AM, Borna said:

Of course, an very interesting camera, but it lacks soul and it lacks beauty. Perhaps fun to buy used in couple of years time. 

Huh, somehow the M11M has Soul - Aren’t they just cameras ?

I think the M-series has tradition, nice handling and was/is ideal with film.

I think the SLR mono is worthy of consideration, not just pricing but from a useability perspective for framing and focus I think the SLR is a massively superior method over the rangefinder.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

Saw a nice video from a Ricoh GR brand ambassador who tried the Pentax mono. Mono sensors are not good at highlight recovery. When you expose for the highlights, the images are very underexposed which is no problem because the shadow recovery in postprocessing is really good. But it makes the EVF or camera screen less useful. The opinion of this guy was, that a mono sensor goes best with an optical viewfinder and he can't think of a GR with mono sensor. 

🙂 

The GR III already has highlight weighted metering 🙂

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 3

I hope Pentax will succeed. They are still one old standing, so I wish them survival: they had great cameras in the past, and still have some.

Besides, most people can’t afford a leica monochrom (or phase one) so many people will be able to join/enjoy this.

If Fuji follows with the GFX series, this will be a great step forward and probably quite some competition to both phase one and leica.

• Like 2