Do You Have A Trouble Free M11 or M11M?

fotografr

4 hours ago, Yarosuav said:

That's over 3 pictures every minute - for three hours... That's one picture every 20 seconds or so - for three hours... That's a lot. Whatever works for you I guess, but my suggestion is to actually enjoy the walk, as opposed to being glued to your viewfinder for three hours... 

I shoot in continues hi mode and spend several dozen frames working on one scene, changing the angle and distance slightly

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 5:11 AM, Smogg said:

After selecting the keepers, which takes about half an hour in Lightroom, I have 2-3 shots left out of these 600-700, then I spend 1-2 minutes processing each of them. Total 40 minutes for the entire post-processing including selection

I’m impressed by the speed of your work.  Reviewing circa 700 photos in 30 minutes, that’s less than 3 seconds on each photo.  I couldn’t do that and be certain to have chosen the best 2 or 3, but then I probably take 30 photos in the same time and spend a lot longer on the review.

Sometimes my photo count will be in single figures, then I don’t bother with Lightroom and just open each image in Camera Raw before a final review and adjustment in Photoshop.  We all have different ways of working 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smogg said:

I shoot in continues hi mode and spend several dozen frames working on one scene, changing the angle and distance slightly

How long do you wait before reviewing? Immediately afterwards or a short while later? I shoot far far fewer pictures - I have the camera on continuous low but almost always only take a single shot at a time. I usually import the pictures and leave it a month or so before reviewing. I’ve found that means I am less likely to keep shots simply because it was tricky to get it. It has the added advantage of meaning I delete most of my shots. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ianforber said:

How long do you wait before reviewing? Immediately afterwards or a short while later? I shoot far far fewer pictures - I have the camera on continuous low but almost always only take a single shot at a time. I usually import the pictures and leave it a month or so before reviewing. I’ve found that means I am less likely to keep shots simply because it was tricky to get it. It has the added advantage of meaning I delete most of my shots. 

I also prefer to let the photographs sit for about a month in order to make the selection more impartially.

If I take one photo every 2 weeks that I like, I'm happy with the result.

Edited by Smogg
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 7:44 AM, fotografr said:

You accuse me of making bold assumptions, then go on to make your own that I'm in the minority as someone who never had problems with my digital Nikon's and Canons. If the sampling here is insufficient to draw conclusions, why is it any different on the forums for Nikon, Canon and Fuji? You can't have it both ways my friend.

I am not making any assumption about other brands I am merely saying forum are worthless to derive the depth of an issue. I mean 50 people all go and complain and to the casual observers it a big issue when in fact it isnt.  I don't know if the sis a big issue and neither do you but many seem to WANT it to be one!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, kiwidad said:

I am not making any assumption about other brands I am merely saying forum are worthless to derive the depth of an issue. I mean 50 people all go and complain and to the casual observers it a big issue when in fact it isnt.  I don't know if the sis a big issue and neither do you but many seem to WANT it to be one!

For two years I've been reading threads on which people have been complaining about problems with the M11. The same is true about the Q3. Why do you suppose I started this thread with the title I used?  It was to give a voice to people who had no complaints. Even so, a large number of people chose instead to use this thread to continue to discuss problematic cameras. It's hard to fault them because it's quite frustrating to put a large sum (for many, not all) into a product that doesn't work properly. 

I've gone in both directions. At some points in this discussion I've felt perhaps only a small fraction of M11s were faulty and have been on the verge of ordering one. At other times it's seemed like there were only a few who were fortunate enough to have trouble free cameras. You seem critical of using a discussion like this to try to settle the question of how common these issues are. If you have a better idea, I'm sure we'd like to know what that is. It's easy to try to undermine other people's ideas, but meaningless if you don't have a better one to put forth.

My intent has never been to bash Leica for putting out a camera that didn't work. I was simply trying to answer for myself and anyone else who might be interested what the extent of the freezes and corrupt files is. In my opinion, that's entirely proper in this kind of forum.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kiwidad said:

how come is not a big issue? I know personally at least 10 m11 users and of them only 2 say they have no issues. To me that makes it a big, actually  a huge one. That, plus the number of posts of people having to give the camera back, in youtube and forums, does make it a big issue. How spread the issue is? We cant say indeed based on social media, but I know the same or bigger number of other brand users and none have similar issues. 

Leica quality has gone done as its reliability. Having to pay 8k euros for a camera, that you need to make tricks and hope not to freeze is a joke. My m11 rarely freezes, but it does, as the camera of 99% of the people i know using an m11.  My m10 had to be sent 2 times for service, (yes under guarantee), my sl2s has not even after 3 years issues with sticky buttons and now the m11 freezing. Seems like this will be my last leica, unless they indeed manage to fix this via firmware. I used nikon and canon as well, (and for longer) and never had such issues. I dont trust leica as a professional tool, its more of a toy now a fancy and lovely toy.

Edited by Malabito
  • Like 2

It is becoming difficult to read anything on this forum without enduring redundant complaints about the M11. M11 bashing i don't know but i wonder if this thread should not change its title as it has little to do with the faultless camera many of us are glad to use.

• Like 1

I love how people say Nikon and Canon never have this issue. I have had Nikon Z9, then Z8 and had 2 or 3 freezes that needed the battery removed. My M11 had 4 total (but none since 2.0). Yet the Leica is a quality mess? I'm glad I bought the M11 before reading this forum, otherwise I would have been too scared to buy one.

• Like 2

First of all, no camera is flawless and Wetzlar is not a quality mess of course. Since we don't know the percentage of M11's with (serious) issues, it's all guessing. Nonetheless, I don't think we should ignore the (unusual) number of reported issues, it kept me from buying the M11 (where there's smoke there's fire). The fact that your M11 works flawlessly does not necessarily mean that some M11's have indeed issues.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bcaslis said:

I love how people say Nikon and Canon never have this issue. I have had Nikon Z9, then Z8 and had 2 or 3 freezes that needed the battery removed. My M11 had 4 total (but none since 2.0). Yet the Leica is a quality mess? I'm glad I bought the M11 before reading this forum, otherwise I would have been too scared to buy one.

I've had some issues with my Canon R5's and R3 as well as my Fuji GFX 100S. However I'm yet to encounter any issues with my M11 nor have any of my friends. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, lct said:

It is becoming difficult to read anything on this forum without enduring redundant complaints about the M11. M11 bashing i don't know but i wonder if this thread should not change its title as it has little to do with the faultless camera many of us are glad to use.

Ok, I've not got a dog in this game, no M11 of any stripe and no plans to step up from the M10 series either............But aside from the freezing and missing shots I think more than anything else Leica's near total silence on these real problems experienced by more than just a smattering of M11 buyers/owners is what resonates with me........That and the more than apparent QC problems on cameras, lenses and other new Leica bits exiting out of Wetzlar, plus the truly awful after-sales servicing situation that again Leica doesn't acknowledge or address.

23 hours ago, lct said:

It's not the title that needs to be changed. Just the response to it. This was always intended to be a thread where people who were having a good experience with their M11 could say so and discuss it's virtues.

23 hours ago, geoffc60 said:

Of all the many M11 users I know none have or are experiencing problems. Reading these forums there are several that really get annoyed at this.

Again, that's why this thread was started.

12 hours ago, bcaslis said:

That's a straw man argument. You create a scenario that doesn't exist, then try to ridicule it's merits. I've not read anything here that suggests Nikon and Canon digital cameras are all trouble free. All any of us can do is relate our own first hand experience,  as I did earlier in this thread. I switched from film to digital in 1999 and used Nikons and Nikon's until I retired in 2015. I always had duplicate camera bodies and always upgraded to new versions as soon as they were available. Personally, I never had a single failure of any kind with any of them. Beyond my experience, I make no claims whatsoever about whether other people may or may not have had problems with their Nikons and Canons. 

23 hours ago, lct said:

It is becoming difficult to read anything on this forum without enduring redundant complaints about the M11.

What do you think is the reason for this? I'm asking seriously. Are there a lot of people who don't have the M11 and are jealous, so they try to make it look bad? If there's no problem, why all the noise? I really don't get it.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, fotografr said:

What do you think is the reason for this? I'm asking seriously. Are there a lot of people who don't have the M11 and are jealous, so they try to make it look bad? If there's no problem, why all the noise? I really don't get it.

Well Brent there are several threads on this forum about freezes and other alleged glitches of the M11. As you said yourself, this thread was not intentended to become a part of them. I suggested to change the title of this thread but you don't like this idea, i can understand it but don't expect me to discuss here about that. If you feel it useful to open a new thread about reasons of the current M11 bashing, it will be a pleasure for me to reply although i'd rather wait peacefully for the next firmware update that will come at the Leica pace as usual.

Edited by lct