Mono v Mono (new Pentax Monochrome DSLR v M11M)

sometimesmaybe

Sorry I don't own any M Monochrom anymore. Last one was the original 7 years ago, stupidely exchanged with M-P typ 240 due to sensor corrosion. 

So only my former experience with Monochrom and the K3M. The latter is way better technically speaking

• Like 1

The inherent attractiveness of an M is its simplicity. Comparisons would be futile. I did tons of comparisons with the M10 vs. Z7 vs. LUMIX S1 vs. α7R III with the same M lens. The latter three have much better sensors not only for lowlight but also for tonal range and come with IBIS. I always ended up using the M10-P with M lenses. Now we are getting the simplicity of an M with amazing sensors. 

Edited by Chaemono

Although I do like Pentax move to proceed with monochrome, I won’t buy into the system.

Having a monochrom M, with great lenses, cost of switching doesn’t make sense to buy into another system.

Now, if Leica decides to bring out a SL2(s)m, the choice between that and the future SL3 would be very hard.

I do hope the forum will allow @nicci78 to post some images of the Pentax cause for sure most monochrom users are at least curious.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hopefully Pentax have success with K3M and decide to apply monochrome treatment to full frame K1 model, I would be interested, plus those K limited primes are nice compact lenses. Still have my first Pentax K/M lenses from 1980s film days which I occasionally play with on M246.  

By the way I understand now why Leica did not release a CL Monochrom. 
APS-C sensor without bayer filter beats full frame colour cameras converted in B&W and can rival full frame Monochrome cameras. It is crazy good. 

It is suspicious that Leica friendly YouTubers did not or barely acknowledge K3M existence… any pressure from Wetzlar ? Seems like they won’t make any comparison between any Leica Monochrom & K3M anytime soon. 

My first impression is that the main differences will be higher resolution for M11 and better glass available : APO-Summicron-M or Summilux-M. 

Which are huge advantages ! 

For very high ISO no colour full frame camera can compete in low noise and high detail with the Pentax. Just try 200K or 500K ISO with any Bayer one’s. 

Ultra high ISO is very useful for small aperture and high shutter speed in low light situations without flash. 

Edited by nicci78

Hard to believe I made pics/prints for decades with ASA400, or slower, film. Gear hasn’t been a roadblock for IQ for some time now, even before PP software added remarkable capabilities … at least for my shooting and printing requirements.  

Jeff

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 10:49 PM, Jeff S said:

Hard to believe I made pics/prints for decades with ASA400, or slower, film. Gear hasn’t been a roadblock for IQ for some time now, even before PP software added remarkable capabilities … at least for my shooting and printing requirements.  

Jeff

Yes everything was possible back then. 
Now it is just easier 

For example : Leica M9 at ISO 640 were meh… forget it at 800  

M Monochrom original at 10,000 were aesthetically pleasing with grain like noise. 
Removing the bayer filter makes 18MP CCD useable in dim environment 

Same here, K3M makes APS-C rivalling/surpassing very best full frame with twice the megapixels count. 

Albeit at the expense of colour. For some it is a deal breaker for others it is the deal maker 

I am old enough to remember a time when people chose B&W film for B&W and colour ones for… colours. Why not in digital age ? 

Edited by nicci78

I asked Vicuna-13B, the open-source chatbot, to write a love poem about this camera.

Oh, Pentax K-3 Mark III Monochrome,
Your elegance and grace can't be ignored,
With every shot you capture,
My heart is forever captured.

Your black and white images,
Are like a work of art,
With every detail and texture,
So perfectly preserved and smart.

You're the camera that I adore,
The one that I hold so dear,
With every shot I take,
My love for you is made clear.

Oh, Pentax K-3 Mark III Monochrome,
My heart belongs to you alone,
With every click of the shutter,
My love for you shines through.

Ok honeymoon phase is over. I am now experiencing the issues of using a Pentax DSLR. So just some thoughts :

Learning curve is steep. I love Leica user friendliness. Pentax is very customisable, but I have to learn how to use so many settings. 
However there are some brilliant ideas never seen anywhere else.

About IQ it is very dependant on my ability to use the AF system properly. K3 III M really shine with latest PLM motor. However with older DC or screwdriven lenses, it can lack accuracy. 
It can detect eyes quite effectively, but it is very lens dependant. 

Optical viewfinder is absolutely a joy outdoor. It is huge, bright, but overlay information can be too dim in low light. I am spoiled by mirrorless. 

Very very high ISO can show some white dots scattered randomly on deep blacks. 

To be continued 

Some example from K3M with HD DA 43mm F1.9 limited

Straight out of camera. No optical colour filter. Nothing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention that ISO range of presented photos are from 200 to 20,000.
I let you sort out which is which. 
In real life, I did not need more than 80,000 ISO so far. 
Sharpness is maintain, grain stays very fine at high ISO  

Using a long slow lens such as HD 55-300mm F4.5-6.5 PLM indoor with high shutter speed is perfectly usable ! 😙

Actually I may not need fast lens anymore. My F/1.8 limited lenses can be used at f/4 indoor for more depth of field and with high shutter speed to avoid movement blur  

My Leica Q2 is quite noisy at 3,200 ISO, ugly noise pattern creeps in at 6,400 ISO, unacceptable noise at 12,800. 
Indoor I have to maintain 1/250th or 1/125th minimum to avoid movement blur. Which means ISO 6400 minimum and f/1.7 at all time. Which is very limiting in a creative stand point. 

Edited by nicci78