Back to the roots an M !

M Street Photographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica friends, As a former M9 user, I'm back after years with an M 10R. Over the years, the path led through Sony, Fuji (APSC + medium format), Oly and Ricoh. Very often I adapt lenses between 1932 and 1965. Now I got my M 10R, various lenses from CZ, VC, Wetzlar, Canon 50 0.95, Nikkor Kogaku Nippon Japan are available.

I feel I am now back home. and my heart is full of good emotions.

The latest is the VC 50 1.0 with which I took the photos.

I hope you enjoy the fact that I am showing the first test shots here, even if they are not demanding. I reduced the images, but I find the coloring and plasticity to be good and recognizable.

In the future I will post my recordings in the subject threads.

I hope you don't mind reading my statement.

My main shots are street, portrait, street art and occasionally urban and landscape shots.

I have a first question: What is your experience with exposure correction?

I usually love - 0.3 to - 0.7. Is it also an acceptable way for you to capture RAW and Jpeg?

I look forward to a friendly cooperation and your benevolent criticism.

As so often, always good light

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M Street Photographer
  • Like 14

Welcome back, and glad to see some images which is wonderful

For exposure i dont usually compensate under normal situations but then depending on the intention how i shoot at that time, mostly i shoot portraits

sometimes i need to go under -3 or -7 when necessary and other times might have to bump up to +7 when backlights 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, M Street Photographer said:

What is your experience with exposure correction?

Personally I eye ball it. Depends whether I’m fighting a bright background and my subject isn’t lit up. 

Now I got my M 10R

Isn’t it awesome? best M. 

VC 50 1.0

Man that is huge. I would’ve picked the 50f1.2, but hope you enjoy that one. 

Over the years, the path led through Sony, Fuji (APSC + medium format), Oly and Ricoh

This is the thing people saying Leica is so expensive. If I add up all the gear they’ve bought through the years they’ve already paid for a couple of Leica’s. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, M Street Photographer said:

Dear Leica friends, As a former M9 user, I'm back after years with an M 10R. Over the years, the path led through Sony, Fuji (APSC + medium format), Oly and Ricoh. Very often I adapt lenses between 1932 and 1965. Now I got my M 10R, various lenses from CZ, VC, Wetzlar, Canon 50 0.95, Nikkor Kogaku Nippon Japan are available.

I feel I am now back home. and my heart is full of good emotions.

The latest is the VC 50 1.0 with which I took the photos.

I hope you enjoy the fact that I am showing the first test shots here, even if they are not demanding. I reduced the images, but I find the coloring and plasticity to be good and recognizable.

In the future I will post my recordings in the subject threads.

I hope you don't mind reading my statement.

My main shots are street, portrait, street art and occasionally urban and landscape shots.

I usually love - 0.3 to - 0.7. Is it also an acceptable way for you to capture RAW and Jpeg?

I look forward to a friendly cooperation and your benevolent criticism.

As so often, always good light

Similar journey settling on an M11 and a mix of new and secondhand M lenses.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:17 AM, M Street Photographer said:

@Cthulhu, the 50 1.0 is big , but not to big, I have some other 50 mm, so no problem.

And yes, the M10R is very good, i am so happy about my decision. Only i need the 1.25 viewfinder, its more easy to  focus at 50 and 90 mm. 

If anyone has one for sale please email. Visoflex is for me no a option.

I have both the 1.25 and 1.4 with the latter more preferable when using a noctilux lens and u dont shoot any wider than 50mm since the frameline will be lost

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:00 PM, idusidusi said:

Similar journey settling on an M11 and a mix of new and secondhand M lenses.

Decided to cut the cord and sold off the SL2 (and the Sigma 14-24 along with it). The 50 and 90 Cron SL are up for sale as well. Never fully bonded with the system, and that's after 10 years of utmost inspiration shooting M exclusively (M9, M246, M10). Parts of me is toying with the idea of returning to the M fold indeed, as the other part of my thinking would take me all the way back to the very first camera I purchased with my own money in the early 90ties, and that was a Nikon (here I am looking into the Z7 ii or its successor if/when)....

@markforce, These are thoughts that also arose in me. Feeling back to the M for many months. And yes, the first thought was an M9, but buying a digital camera that is 13 years old, will it still work for many years to come? How long will Leica still have spare parts? These questions then brought me to another M.
Now that I have it, I realized what I had been repressing and missing for years.
From that point of view, I can only recommend that you give in to your feelings - you will not regret it.

A short update from me: After years of being away from rangefinders, I'm slowly getting practice in focusing again.
I had tested the Magnifier 1.25 and learned that you also need a thread adapter for the M10.
Since I adapt a lot of old CZ and old Leica lenses, Nikkor Kogaku, etc., focusing is only possible via live view. I have too much trouble with the LV display in hand. Now I tested the Visoflex 2 (round version), which brings great relief.
In the end I decided on the Visoflex because it supports me better with f1 lenses at close range and of course also with 90 mm lenses.

I will do without the 1.25 viewfinder magnifier and have given it back.
I am confident that I will soon find my old strength of focusing again, with the rangefinder.

• 1 month later...

Today I would like to give an update:
I've been looking for a long time and read a lot of threads here to find a 35 mm lens.
A Summilux was no longer in the budget this year. The Leica SUMMICRON-M was shortlisted. Here I tested different versions, up to the Bokeh Monster, which did not convince me much about the successors.

After comparing it with the Summarit, I made my decision and bought one of the last Summarit 35 2.4 models. The first test shots have far exceeded my expectations and ideas.

• Like 3

• Like 1

I had a summarit 35./2.4 and kept it for a few years before eventually upgrading to the (latest modern) 35 (non-APO) cron 

I'm happier with the cron (well I would say that wouldn't I?!!!!), better performance in the corners, less distortion, to my eye a touch more contrast and (in my sample size of one of each) nicer tactile feedback - eg focusing and aperture clicks, also without the hoods the cron is slighter shorter too..

But I really think the 'rit is a great performer, the hood is nicer than the latest cron one and the pictures had their own pleasing look to them.

Enjoy your lens

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 3:16 PM, M Street Photographer said:

Now I got my M 10R,

I'm not sure if you know it's there, but for people wondering how we do with an M10-R, they will probably go here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/314837-m-10-r-image-thread/

They may not find your photos if they are posted in random threads around the forum.  

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but I'm constantly going to the standard M10 photo thread, and the M11 photo thread, wondering if I'll find differences in the images.  I couldn't find much difference, although I know the M11 can capture "more" than the M10.  Anyway, you may want to copy your photos into the M10-R photos thread, where others may be more likely to see them.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:16 PM, M Street Photographer said:

I've got a very boring answer to your question.  I'm always watching the histogram, to prevent major mistakes, and my thoughts on exposure correction were that it was mostly for correcting images you know will be wrong - such as a person on a snowy landscape, or in a very dark room.  The meter in the camera will be trying for a neutral gray, so the snow will likely become too dark, and the dark room will likely become too light.

Three years or so ago, @jaapvwrote a long thread about this, which I hate to say I've misplaced.  It was about trying to understand HOW the metering in the Leica M cameras worked, and how to compensate for things.  I'll eventually find it - I should have printed it out.  I think the M11 metering has changed everything, but I think I will be sticking with my M10 for many more years.

• Thanks 1