Back to the roots an M !

M Street Photographer

• 2 weeks later...

What I have done in dilm since my M6 (and before even) is: expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights.

In sigital, I still work like that.

I docus; and then I do the exposure setting:

1. I point the camera at the ground or an even space where I think the relevant area is.
  2. I half way push my exp button, 
  3. then compse again and Push all the way.

when I do not have auto exp. Then I of course set it in the second step.

this way the pictures are mostly good and evenly exposed, not overexposed like my have (I do not like the standard washed out pictures that are so abundant).

4. in case you select a JPG then the algorithm often darkens the picture too.

the M is such a joy.

Edited by Alberti
  • Thanks 1

If I’m not using basic Sunny-16,  I’m using a Sekonic L-308 light meter and adjusting as necessary in post. I prefer to use the camera’s exposure and adjust it in post, rather than use exposure compensation. I keep forgetting to remove the exp. comp.

Funny about exposure, and my M8.2 and my M10.  Lately I've simply been allowing the camera to suggest the right exposure, and afterwards I sometimes use image review to verify all is well.  Most of the time, the camera's suggestion is fine, even with the M8.2 camera.  I do have external light meters, but if the camera's suggestion "sounds" reasonable to me, I give it a try - prepared to re-take the photo if necessary.

Regarding quality differences, for posting in this forum, I enjoy my M8.2 photos just as much as the photos from my M10.   (I'm still confused about which lenses and frame lines to use with the M8.2 camera, but the images mostly come out as expected anyway despite my confusion.

• 1 month later...

Now the last step has been taken. After the conversion to a Leica M bayonet, I can finally use the dream lens on the dream camera.
The only question that remains: With Leica or the title of the heart? 😁

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!