OMG! The prices!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Started looking for a good M6 several months ago. The ballpark then was around $1800. The average now is $3200. Yeah, I get the free market but geeezzzz. This has got to burst.

‘On the bright side I don’t have to look for a house although in a few months it may be less expensive then a good p.72 TTL.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

I always wondered what makes people start looking for a M6? I’d understand a M2, M3, M4, M5, MP, M-A, M7... but never understood why M6.

I would love to know what you have against the M6 series, You seem to take every opportunity to denigrate them. Thankfully most users find them excellent cameras.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Matlock said:

I would love to know what you have against the M6 series, You seem to take every opportunity to denigrate them. Thankfully most users find them excellent cameras.

Their rice is my advantage though as ppl seem to forget m2 and m-a or may b because they r meterless

i m one of probably few to treat m6 as the last resort… may b i dislike for it being zinc 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jakontil said:

Their rice is my advantage though as ppl seem to forget m2 and m-a or may b because they r meterless

i m one of probably few to treat m6 as the last resort… may b i dislike for it being zinc 

Their rice???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

I always wondered what makes people start looking for a M6? I’d understand a M2, M3, M4, M5, MP, M-A, M7... but never understood why M6.

Easy, m6 is probably the best selling M film body and a game changer for leica, part of the big history

• Like 4

Why look at the M6? I think the main advantage is that it is the least fetishized of Leica M cameras which probably means it will be used and not stroked (although light petting is allowed).

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

Why look at the M6? I think the main advantage is that it is the least fetishized of Leica M cameras which probably means it will be used and not stroked (although light petting is allowed).

LOL. I’m using the M6 just as an example. The price for the M3 SS or DS has risen just much on a percentage basis. And it’s not just Leica’s. It’s obscene.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jakontil said:

Easy, m6 is probably the best selling M film body and a game changer for leica, part of the big history

No doubt but I guess my point was the crazy and obscene rise in all decent film bodies and ancillary equipment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

Prices won't come down.  Bite the bullet, swipe the card, and start shooting photos.  

😂 Of course the prices will come down. Do you have any idea where this economy is going? It’s not going to be pretty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tomsmac said:

😂 Of course the prices will come down. Do you have any idea where this economy is going? It’s not going to be pretty.

im not so sure... either it would stay or it could only go up... they dont produce m6 for sure, whats available in the market is what they are, unless leica stop increasing their prices on MP and MA which i dont think they would, you would see the price for M6 and probably other M would only rise and above 

2 hours ago, Tomsmac said:

No doubt but I guess my point was the crazy and obscene rise in all decent film bodies and ancillary equipment.

the interest in shooting films have gone up too, the consumer price films are craziest than they ever be 

7 minutes ago, jakontil said:

im not so sure... either it would stay or it could only go up... they dont produce m6 for sure, whats available in the market is what they are, unless leica stop increasing their prices on MP and MA which i dont think they would, you would see the price for M6 and probably other M would only rise and above 

the interest in shooting films have gone up too, the consumer price films are craziest than they ever be 

I just purchased a new MP from Leica Boston last month after a year long wait on the list. Their price went up 9% in the last year where the M2-M7 has increased by over 60%. As a sidebar, both my M10 and Monochrom 246 have decreased dramatically during the past 6 months but I don’t really care about that as I’m not selling. And yet another sidebar… my MP film  camera blows the doors off of the M10. Not so much the Monochrom.

10 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Well, I have M2.3.4.5.&6 (& fim CL). I started with a new M4 in 1968, so I have a soft spot for it as my favorite. I got the M6 new in 1985 (Wetzlar, black chrome, zinc) and it's the film M I've used most since then. Never a problem with the finish - looks almost new - still has the plastic film on the bottom plate.(I've always used a case/half-case.) I did have the finder upgraded a few years ago to eliminate the slight "flare" issue with the RF patch, and it's a joy to use. In use it is at least the equal of the other Ms, and the meter readout in the VF is the type I like best.

When I'm not using it, I now use the M5 most often. I passed over it when it came out due to the criticism from others, but in many ways it's the most refined M for actual use.

I wouldn't criticize anyone for preferring either of these over the other M models.

Just now, Tomsmac said:

You honestly think that the M6 is a better build quality than the new MP? Wow. I’ve owned the M6 and today own the 2022 MP. A world of difference in build quality.

No, just different period for me.

The plastic lever wind-on of my M4/M5/M6 is more comfortable in use than my M-A/MP/M2/M3.

The rewind crank needs no adapter like 14438 I added to my MP.

23 minutes ago, Tomsmac said:

I just purchased a new MP from Leica Boston last month after a year long wait on the list. Their price went up 9% in the last year where the M2-M7 has increased by over 60%. As a sidebar, both my M10 and Monochrom 246 have decreased dramatically during the past 6 months but I don’t really care about that as I’m not selling. And yet another sidebar… my MP film  camera blows the doors off of the M10. Not so much the Monochrom.

Everything is increasing (especially analog M's) except the depreciating M240 and M10 at the moment. Even M9 and M8 are on the rise.. But that is perfectly normal. What is not normal are the analog M price hikes.