Q2 Reporter Dislodged Strap Lug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 22 Minuten schrieb liggy:

Not liking this trend at all…. 

I got my Reporter in January.  I do baby my gear but it’s almost always on a strap.

I still don’t get how this can jiggle loose. You have two screws and a locking pin. The design looks solid to me (not an expert of course).

1 hour ago, quake2 said:

Happened to me the very same day. Also a reporter. I was pulling out the battery, then noticed the lug was off. Fortunately I didn’t carry it when it came off. Bought the camera 4 months ago and used it lightly safe for a week ago when I used it a lot daily for like 6 days. Completely unacceptable in my book.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

We have had this before - there is somebody at Leica who forgets to apply Locktite to the lug screws from time to time, as clearly seen on this photograph... Leica will pick it up, assign the employee to cleaning the toilets and appoint another technician to the job of squeezing the tube of Loctite, limiting the problem to one batch. Until this next employee gets forgetful and the whole circus goes into its next iteration...🙃

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

No Not a general recall this is just one -probably quite small-batch. I’m sure Leica will deal with this on an individual basis. 

That's good to hear. Will they contact owners by serial number. I have only had mine 2 weeks and the lugs seem to be well attached

9 hours ago, quake2 said:

I still don’t get how this can jiggle loose. You have two screws and a locking pin. The design looks solid to me (not an expert of course).

Agreed.  The pin should keep the lug from rotating and the screws would need to both back out, right?  I don’t get it either.  

3 hours ago, liggy said:

Agreed.  The pin should keep the lug from rotating and the screws would need to both back out, right?  I don’t get it either.  

It almost looks as the screws are too small. Metric vs. Imperial?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 12:36 PM, Chris808 said:

That's good to hear. Will they contact owners by serial number. I have only had mine 2 weeks and the lugs seem to be well attached

Mine has been out there for a good month now without a single news … the dealer got me a replacement though therefore I don’t complain much 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Me too. Q2 monochrom reporter. I think leica should compensate for this loss.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I didn't see any of this before buying my Q2M in December.  Looks like those screws could do with being a tad longer.  I'll try to remember to keep an eye on mine, especially as I only use a wrist strap - on that lug.  Or maybe we should all not use straps?  Bit of a low-tech fail though and disappointing that Leica seems to be rather off-hand about it.  

32 minutes ago, warth man said:

I didn't see any of this before buying my Q2M in December.  Looks like those screws could do with being a tad longer.  I'll try to remember to keep an eye on mine, especially as I only use a wrist strap - on that lug.  Or maybe we should all not use straps?  Bit of a low-tech fail though and disappointing that Leica seems to be rather off-hand about it.  

This is a small mistake that can be a big blow for a big brand.  Leica is unique in details.  I have been photographing with Leica for years.  I was very lucky that I did not lose the camera.

Looking over at this thread brought me to check my lugs.  So far so good. 

I'd imagine that vibration caused the naked screws under pressure to do their thing... (climb up).  But what is holding those naughty fasteners in place???  Evidently there's no room for them to move (as they came loose) to the inside of the chassis... otherwise we'd not be able to see 'em.

The length of the screws is perfect.  Unless you want to break thru a few thousandths of an inch of lug and use locknuts.  (the industrial look)

A bit of good news from that front:  my kevlar is doing fine.  If it were to start fraying, and that bothered me, I'd use two drops of thin Cyano-acrilite (sp) AKA crazy glue.l