Q2 Reporter Dislodged Strap Lug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One user in Japan reported this incident , is it really that bad or just a matter of poor quality control / design/ assembly?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would guess that the two screws that go into the strap lug to secure it were not tightened down 100% and vibration or movement while the camera was in use caused the strap lug to come loose from the camera.

It's unfortunate when lapses like this happen and result in a defect such as this - but humans are not perfect beings, nor is anything assembled by human hands perfect.  No doubt it will be covered under warranty, but sending it in and waiting for it to return is inconvenient.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Yes, the lug is a disaster, but also look at the Kevlar! Looks like it was glued in place by a child. Kind of brings the credibility of the video into question - or perhaps the authenticity of the camera. I don't a have Reporter, so those that do will know better, surely its installed better than that.

We have had this problem before in a small series of cameras. The cause is forgetting to apply Locktite. Look at the plus side: it is proof that the camera is really built by hand…🥺 The Kevlar looks bad, but maybe it was pulled loose when the lug detached itself.

• 2 months later...

I had a lug fail on my original Q. It came crashing down and received a serious dent in the top plate. I wasn't too concerned when it happened, as I was absolutely sure that it wasn't my fault and that Leica would repair it for free, but alas! Leica wouldn't be Leica!

it took them 8 weeks to repair it, it cost me 400€ and Leica refused to give me warranty on the repair, because my camera showed signs of impact. I was furious, but of course I paid.

As a professional having to wait for a camera repair for 8 weeks is not acceptable. Two days after this happened I had a sensor failure on my Fuji GFX. I send it to Fuji through the same dealer. I got it back three working days later at no charge. this is exceptional service. 

Today I discovered that my Q2's right lug gets loose. As you see in the picture my camera gets used, but not abused. I carry it around my neck,  which I suppose shouldn't be a problem. 

Probably I am unlucky, but still pissed off. Let's see how Leica handles it this time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, seesweat said:

Yes, the lug is a disaster, but also look at the Kevlar!...

I've seen a couple of used Q2 Reporters - they start looking like that.  Kevlar is fibrous, and I guess the edges just start fraying.  

• Thanks 1

I had same issue yesterday. When I grabbed the strap the lug dismantled from the body. Fortunately I was holding the strap so the camera did not fall nor hit anything. This is surprising after only a few month use. 
Camera is back to dealer/Leica … not sure how long this will last and wether it will be under guarantee. I’ll let you know. 
I asked for a replacement but unsure I’ll get it. 

7 hours ago, liggy said:

I'm totally prepared for the kevlar to get fuzzy and fade but having the lugs fall off from regular use is unacceptable.  Crazy that this is happening.  

As for the Kevlar, yes it looks a bit fuzzy in time but doesn’t get bad and this is the game… I like the camera look still, even more if it shows aging a bit. It’s a working tool ! 

6 hours ago, thierry40 said:

As for the Kevlar, yes it looks a bit fuzzy in time but doesn’t get bad and this is the game… I like the camera look still, even more if it shows aging a bit. It’s a working tool ! 

I must not be using mine enough.  It isn't getting faded or particularly fuzzy.  :D

I just don't want to become the victim of a failed lug and have Leica tell me to stuff it when it comes time to fix it. 

On 7/1/2022 at 9:23 PM, liggy said:

I must not be using mine enough.  It isn't getting faded or particularly fuzzy.  :D

I just don't want to become the victim of a failed lug and have Leica tell me to stuff it when it comes time to fix it. 

Well. I am not sure if fuzzy is the proper word .. it has the look of a fabric, it’s pretty cool actually. It has not fade at all. 
as for the lug failure I don’t have news yet 

Am 30.6.2022 um 18:18 schrieb thierry40:

I had same issue yesterday. When I grabbed the strap the lug dismantled from the body. Fortunately I was holding the strap so the camera did not fall nor hit anything. This is surprising after only a few month use. 
Camera is back to dealer/Leica … not sure how long this will last and wether it will be under guarantee. I’ll let you know. 
I asked for a replacement but unsure I’ll get it. 

Happened to me the very same day. Also a reporter. I was pulling out the battery, then noticed the lug was off. Fortunately I didn’t carry it when it came off. Bought the camera 4 months ago and used it lightly safe for a week ago when I used it a lot daily for like 6 days. Completely unacceptable in my book.

• Like 2