Love my Harry Benz Strap! What are you using?

M Journey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

41 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I never said bad craftsmanship. Maybe the tannery needs better QC. Not my problem as the customer. Call it what you want…turning my hands, or a white shirt, black is not a desirable attribute for a new strap, regardless the cause. Never happened to me before, after using dozens of straps since 1974. I’ve used the Leica 14312 nylon strap on all my M bodies since the 80’s. No problems or reasons to switch.

Jeff

No reason to get offended here. 
It is unfortunate that this happened to you. And very unlucky. 
Again, leather is a natural product. It can always happen. 
For other products I make I use all kind of leather. Some of it comes even straight from major fashion houses like Hermés, Loewe, Prada or Chanel. 
Believe me when I say, sh!t can always happen. 

When a hide gets cut into straps it doesn’t matter how good a tannery’s QC is. All bets are off. Fresh cut edges are exposed and of course are not sealed by the tannery. 
Which is why I am going through the labour intensive process of burnishing and sealing the edges of each and everyone of my straps. I venture to say that I am the only strap maker who in fact does this.
And I am not just doing it to avoid color mishaps but also to keep dirt and grime from entering the leather. Which ultimately will ruin it with time.

Harry

Edited by haribo
Typo
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, haribo said:

No reason to get offended here. 
It is unfortunate that this happened to you. And very unlucky. 
Again, leather is a natural product. It can always happen. 
For other products I make I use all kind of leather. Some of it comes even straight from major fashion houses like Hermés, Loewe, Prada or Chanel. 
Believe me when I say, sh!t can always happen. 

When a hide gets cut into straps it doesn’t matter how good a tannery’s QC is. All bets are off. Fresh cut edges are exposed and of course are not sealed by the tannery. 
Which is why I am going through the labour intensive process of burnishing and sealing the edges of each and everyone of my straps. I venture to say that I am the only strap maker who in fact does this.
And I am not just doing it to avoid color mishaps but also to keep dirt and grime from entering the leather. Which ultimately will ruin it with time.

Harry

I’m not offended about anything, and don’t mean to offend you. Shit happens, as you say.  (The residue wasn’t the reason I sold the strap, but if the strap had otherwise met my needs, then I would have communicated with you about rectifying the situation. I fully disclosed the issue to the forum member who bought it from me.)  But who put the strap in the lovely box before it was shipped to me? It would have been simple to rub the strap to determine if there was any residue. It was obvious to me in seconds.

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I’m not offended about anything, and don’t mean to offend you. Shit happens, as you say.  (The residue wasn’t the reason I sold the strap, but if the strap had otherwise met my needs, then I would have communicated with you about rectifying the situation. I fully disclosed the issue to the forum member who bought it from me.)  But who put the strap in the lovely box before it was shipped to me? It would have been simple to rub the strap to determine if there was any residue. It was obvious to me in seconds.

Jeff

I’m the one who put it in the box. And I’m the one who wipes each strap several times while I’m working on it. That includes a few applications of leather treatment at the end. And last but not least, wiping off most of the mink oil paste from the last round of treatment. Always leaving on a little so that during the few days of shipping the leather can keep absorbing as much as possible. 
Btw, the cloth I use makes it easy to see if something rubs off. The strap wouldn’t go into the box if something did.

Frankly, I do not know what went wrong. All I know is that I try to do everything in my power to put the best possible product into that lovely box each and every time. (Thanks for the compliment, by the way.)

Harry

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
20 hours ago, haribo said:

This is a first. That’s why I thought I’d let you all know. 
There’s currently a rare promotion going on at my website. 10% off all straps with code SALE10. 

When I check out there is an option to pick up at downtown Toronto. Where is it? I want to see if it’s close enough for me to pickup

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 25 Minuten schrieb Somchai:

RocknRoll. Best of the best. I have this black is black. 

Just a question: I like straps with the length of about 120cm. I fear that this strap gets longer and longer with the weight of the camera. Is that the case? 

Today I had the pleasure to visit Harry's workshop (his studio) at Toronto and picked up the strap for my M10-R.

Oh man, what a pleasant experience. I witnessed his workspace, leathers, tools. We talked about his dedications and passions to the leatherwork, and other hobbies. We even exchanged views on watches...etc. I also ordered another card wallet from him.

I am thinking to get another strap for my M11 now.

This Harry Benz shop is definitely a hidden gem in Canada! If you are around I strongly suggest to go in person to pick up your orders.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I have ordered a neck and a wrist strap from a seller on ebay : janzls - J by Janus

made in Portugal, nice quality, not expensive and nicely crafted.

NEW Leather Camera Wrist Strap | Leica Fuji X Olympus OM-D Sony A7 Lomography | eBay

The neck strap has the same design but with a buckle to adapt the length.  I like to adapt the length across the body, around the neck, above a big jacket or on a tee-shirt...

NEW Leather Camera Wrist Strap | Leica  Fuji X Olympus OM-D Sony A7 Lomography - Photo 4/4

Edited by chris7273

I have tried all sorts of leather straps since I stated with the M system almost 20 years ago.   Of course, I have used the nylon Leica straps, then leather from Luigi, Luxcase, and  also Arte di Mano which I loved for leather as it matched its half cases.  I have not tried the Harry Benz water buffalo leather straps but the issue I have with any kind of leather is the initial coldness to the neck when first put on.  I then stumbled across the Artist & Artisan silk straps which are not only very beautiful in my eyes, are very, very flexible/soft, can wrap around my arm for hand carry as a wrist strap, be wrapped around the lens easily and quickly put back in the bag and never feel cold against the neck.  I now use it solely for my Ms.  It comes in blue, black and red and I have all the colors.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's technically not strap but I picked it up from Harry as well.

Customized card wallet, Saffiano cow leather outside, pacific blue chevre inside, with my initial imprinted.

Really nice feeling! feel better than Prada in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Leica 14312 for M and Q series cameras. Unfortunately no longer made though available pretty easily on eBay. Light, strong, comfortable and minimal when packed. They were the supplied strap on M and R film cameras (I think one came with my M8 too). 

Love my Harry Benz straps but recently bought two custom straps from Kevin Fickling. He was trained by Hermes artisans and makes straps and bags for fun because it’s his passion. Check out his work on Instagram and reach out to him if you want some beautiful straps and bags. This is a sueded alligator strap that he made for me. Quality is first rate, super soft and flexible and incredibly comfortable. 

@decrypto

Edited by dkmoore