LEICA Visoflex 2, What do you think?

Photoworks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently I use an M240 with the Olympus EVF, which is identical with the former Leica Visoflex except for the housing. Every time I use the EVF with my right eye I usually poke my nose tip into the ocular of the rangefinder, which is covered with nose grease afterwards and needs cleaning. This is very annoying. I wonder if this might happen with the M11 and its Visoflex as well. Any experience?

I also wonder what the size of the Visoflex is. Would you mind to measure the width and height? The depth is quite clear to me.

Thank you in advance.

A nice touch, I just realised that the Visoflex 2 is not falling over the speed dial and hiding your speed selection as it did on the M10 series. It's a small detail but it was quite annoying. It shows Leica really went through all details they could think of. 👍😀

I was so anxious to test the EVF on the M1 when it arrived, I didnt really pay attention to the details. The build quality is exceptional. and the fit and finish is extremely tight. I sold my 020 EVF with the Monochrome so I cant compare...but from memory this feels a bit smaller, and the quality level is significantly higher.

But, what just struck me is that the size is exactly the same as the OVF. It literally looks like this could pop right into that space...hmm.

• Like 1

I need some help and suggestion to avoid any inconsistency between rangefinder and visoflex diopter which could result in the final image not perfectly in focus..

Which is the correct procedure to adjust the visoflex diopter to be in line with the rangefinder? I mean, supposing I'm wearing my prescription glasses I need to adjust the diopter accordingly still with my glasses on. On the other end, when I'm not wearing my prescription glasses I can adjust the diopter independently from the rangefinder, is this correct?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’d like to add, the silver M11 with the new Visoflex attached is substantially heavy and a bit overwhelming in practice, as in mine. I think its’s a perfect combo with the M11 Black which with this evf attached is STILL lighter than a plain Silver M11.

7 hours ago, dantemi said:

I need some help and suggestion to avoid any inconsistency between rangefinder and visoflex diopter which could result in the final image not perfectly in focus..

Which is the correct procedure to adjust the visoflex diopter to be in line with the rangefinder? I mean, supposing I'm wearing my prescription glasses I need to adjust the diopter accordingly still with my glasses on. On the other end, when I'm not wearing my prescription glasses I can adjust the diopter independently from the rangefinder, is this correct?

The diopter is strictly for your eye correction...it doesnt adjust the EVF to the RF, they should be aligned, if not you would need to have the RF adjusted.

44 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

I tend to agree...ive been going back and forth on the setting, but ultimately I think off is better.

I had focus-peaking turned on with Visoflex 020. Probably because of the low resolution, the focus-peaking markings appeared only with a magnified view and helped focus precisely.
I turned focus-peaking off with the new Visoflex 2 as the focus peaking markings are visible in standard view, and I find them distracting. Due to higher resolution, I do not need focus-peaking in magnified view.

I've now got my Viso-2, and I like it.  It feels as good as the SL2's display but probably is not quite.  I'm probably going to leave the focus aids strictly manual.  I find them distracting, and the center of magnification keeps sliding off to a corner as I tend to drag it with my thumb on the arrow buttons.  But it shows the level lines.  The slide-in display on my M10s can't do that and I leave that on.

Leicacamerausa (the online store) has Visoflex 2's to order:  https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-visoflex-2.html.  Hurry.  The regular stores don't seem to get as many..  B&H and Popflash don't seem to have any yet, but Alex at Popflash was kiind enough to point out the link.

Do we know yet what the experience will be like on an M10...exactly? Will it be significantly better (in any way) vs the Typ 020? 

Before I realized it was going to be months to get the firmware update to make this work with the M10 I ordered one...unfortunately it shipped before I could cancel it. 

Should I hang on to it for the M10 in the short term, M11 in the long term or just return it? 

Edited by cbgrey

I have never had an external EFV on an M before. But I got this one for use with an 12mm and 21 mm lens. The precision of the RF since the M 10 has so improved I will rarely use this. Maybe if I had a noctlux. The focus peaking that was useful on the back screen is distracting on the EVF and I will turn it off.

tried it on my MP and it didn’t help at all…