Visoflex 020 vs Visoflex 2 with M10

snapwell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, rramesh said:

Never walk into a Leica store if you have no intention of buying anything!

I only wish it is only one item per visit, if I escape empty handed it's not uncommon to call the next day and have them ship the item(s).  Enjoy your finder.     

Actually, I've deliberately not tried to suss that out. I only use it for ultrawide landscape (with Voigt 21 & 15) and macro (with Micro-Nikkor) so that aspect just isn't an issue in those situations. 

One thing I'll say is that this rig is definitely faster to use than a 4x5 :)

Dunno how this will look in this form but here's an uncropped Voigt 15 shot (which I didn't even treat for edge/corner effects) where accurate framing was important to me:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well, sold my 020, rarely used… but i just feel the need of evf, will wait for viso 2 back in stock since its backward compatibility, can be used sparingly between my m11 and 10

dont know if i ever need it.., since there’s always LCD for range coverage, and last time i bought it bcoz to accompany my M10 D just in case

11 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

What's the black out time like on the new finder? Finally bought a used 020 for my M10-R and M10M, and as expected, it will mostly sit in the drawer, waiting for that extra special need the OVF can't cover. The blackout time is just too much to use otherwise. 

Yes there is a black out. Doesn't bother me. Why?

The M10 is a rangefinder and it's not really meant to be used like like a Digital SLR shooting high-speed frame bursts. I compose one photo and press shutter to capture it. Most of the time the Visoflex is used to frame shots using wide angle lenses, or for critical focus on longer lenses. 

If I am using bracketing, I usually use the camera on a tripod, so there is no need to see each frame as it's being captured.

I like the Visoflex 2 for the following reasons: it's well made and solid, has a bright finder usable in bright or dark areas, it's accurate when using the zoom feature, and provides all essential camera information. For these reasons I prefer to keep it mounted on the camera.

Of course, I am rangefinder person and I prefer focusing via the rangefinder more than focus peaking. But, the EVF is much better than using the LCD panel, and it's good to know it's there.

As far as GPS is concerned, I usually edit it in post. Software these days make it really easy to do it.

Edited by rramesh

14 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

What's the black out time like on the new finder? Finally bought a used 020 for my M10-R and M10M, and as expected, it will mostly sit in the drawer, waiting for that extra special need the OVF can't cover. The blackout time is just too much to use otherwise. 

It used to be that one could fill the blackout time with autoreview on the M240. Which gave the effect of freezing the viewfinder briefly. Much more acceptable than a blackout. Has that option been removed? 

Am 27.6.2022 um 17:14 schrieb rramesh:

Never walk into a Leica store if you have no intention of buying anything!

Well today, I walked into one. They had a Visoflex 2 in stock. Last piece. Never wanted it, but bought it anyway. With prices likely to move up next month, it was tempting.

Now it's mounted on my M10-P and I am liking it. Fits and matches well with the black chrome of my camera, screen is nice and bright and works well. While I will never use focus peaking with all lenses, it will come in handy for some occasions. With the excellent fit, I probably will not remove it, unless I need a compact form.

Ha ha, I had almost the same situation. I liked the design of the Visoflex and tried it just for fun on my M10-D. Right now, I love this tool. For sure a RF is very special and works very good in many situations but in combination with the Visoflex, the M10 became much more „userfriendly“. On the streets, holidays or just when I walk around with the camera, I do not need the Visoflex. But in portrait sessions, it is such a joy to use. Focus peaking brings (at least for me) much better results with the Summicron 90. Next time I am looking forward using an old manual focus Contax lens (2.8/135) with a Novoflex adapter and the Visoflex. As a result, for portrait sessions I use it a lot. Especially the combo M10-D, Visoflex 2 and the App are very useful. But it is also a killer combination for the battery: I am a „slow“ shooter, but for a three hour portrait session, I need two batteries. 

Blackout time? Hasselblad 500C anyone?

(The above statement definitely shows my age.)

Full disclosure: 

This whole business with the EVF’s started because I’m trying to change my stripes in a few ways: Way less gear, more color and some new subjects.

Briefly, had a big solo show the summer before Covid. Good gallery, 60 B&W prints in the main area plus a dozen color birdshots in a side room. The B&W stuff was almost entirely rangefinder w/film stuff.

The result of this show was that I decided it was time for a change. I mean, it was ok, but I really felt like I was way done with that. Unfortunately, after shooting mostly with RF’s for 50 years I just can’t shake how natural they are to work with, and the kind of quick shooting I had come to do with them.

I also have a hi-res Nikon rig with an embarrassingly large collection of MF glass, which I used for some stuff. Lot to lug around, though.

The M11 was looking like maybe it would be the One Camera to Rule Them All. I could indulge my RF shooting, but could do the ultrawide/macro thing with an EVF, plus the lenses were a lot smaller & lighter.

However, my dealer had a waiting list and couldn’t say when those cameras would be available. So, a used M10-P became my (relatively!) & cheery First Digital Leica.

First junket to New Mexico last week convinced me that the way-lighter-gear-than-the-Nikon-w/backpack rig does have a future.

Bob Palmieri 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, snapwell said:

Of course, very clear!

FWIW, I’m still quite happy with the 020 on my M10-P

You should be! Unless if you have the M11 which intended to use with the evf and having both version is a waste… might probably sacrificing the 020

otherwise 020 fits better in eye relief perspective when used with the m10

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 1:36 PM, Flamboyant said:

Does the new visoflex display Green as Yellow or is it the other way around? :)

Jokes aside, very nice comparison photos, thank you @Flamboyant!