Leica M10 firmware Update (being done to mount the new Visoflex to an older M10).

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello , any news regarding the M10 firmware update?  It’s been months I bought the new EVF, actually  as soon as it came in the market , because Leica had announced that the compatibility  ( with the new EVF) firmware would be ready on March ,  and the months are passing …

Spoke to the MD of Leica UK at the AGM of The Leica Society a few weeks ago. He believes it is due in May but did not seem too sure. Leica has a long history of delayed and buggy FW updates, like the one for the M240, which effectively disabled the GPS. That took nearly two years to correct, notwithstanding my frequent reminders to Jesko. Someone else has suggested the GPS will no longer work on the Visoflex 2. I sincerely hope they are wrong. 

Wilson

16 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Spoke to the MD of Leica UK at the AGM of The Leica Society a few weeks ago. He believes it is due in May but did not seem too sure. Leica has a long history of delayed and buggy FW updates, like the one for the M240, which effectively disabled the GPS. That took nearly two years to correct, notwithstanding my frequent reminders to Jesko. Someone else has suggested the GPS will no longer work on the Visoflex 2. I sincerely hope they are wrong. 

Wilson

Leica Visoflex Type 020 (the old one) has integrated GPS. Visoflex 2 (the new one) does not have integrated GPS. Therefore, there will is no GPS with Visoflex 2.

1 hour ago, overexposed said:

here we are, its may 😁

It is a holiday in much of Europe (labour day), so the people who should be finishing up our M10R  firmware, are dancing round a Maypole in their lederhosen and slapping each other.

Wilson

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

It is a holiday in much of Europe (labour day), so the people who should be finishing up our M10R  firmware, are dancing round a Maypole in their lederhosen and slapping each other.

Wilson

The Schuhplattler dance is Bavarian, Wetzlar is in Hessen. Still, you are not far off, just add huge pitchers of beer.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 6:13 AM, tonybill said:

Not sure if this will come as news to anyone but I checked with Leica UK and just had the following response:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

I have just been informed by my colleagues in Germany that the firmware update to permit use of the Visoflex 2 on the M10-R will be released in April, however we don’t know yet a precise date."

Thank you for the reply. In this case though it’s an upgrade they promised and a lot af M10-M10p and M10r users bought the new EVF . For no actual reason up to now , and as I understand it probably will work in lower resolution. One more thing that Leica never communicated . I am pretty sure at the time of the announcement they didn’t even know . 

Maybe Leica are trying to address some of the M10 issues - resolution, refresh rate etc - and are trying to produce firmware that achieves an end result closer to the M11 🙂

Or maybe they just promised more than they can deliver ☹️

On 5/2/2022 at 5:55 PM, evris said:

Thank you for the reply. In this case though it’s an upgrade they promised and a lot af M10-M10p and M10r users bought the new EVF . For no actual reason up to now , and as I understand it probably will work in lower resolution. One more thing that Leica never communicated . I am pretty sure at the time of the announcement they didn’t even know . 

Yes I was one of the ones that bought the Visoflex 2 for my M10R back in March, based on the web site saying the firmware would be available in March. Then it was April, now May it seems. I don't like the way the 020 looks, and it protrudes too far. I don't need the GPS. I'm not worried about the extra resolution. The V2 just looks much nicer, is lower profile, and doesn't obscure the dial. I just need the firmware!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tonybill said:

Yes I was one of the ones that bought the Visoflex 2 for my M10R back in March, based on the web site saying the firmware would be available in March. Then it was April, now May it seems. I don't like the way the 020 looks, and it protrudes too far. I don't need the GPS. I'm not worried about the extra resolution. The V2 just looks much nicer, is lower profile, and doesn't obscure the dial. I just need the firmware!

agreeing with you 100% but i will wait for the FW and try the VF2 in a store first before buying it, also comparing it to the 020

16 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Maybe Leica are trying to address some of the M10 issues - resolution, refresh rate etc - and are trying to produce firmware that achieves an end result closer to the M11 🙂

Or maybe they just promised more than they can deliver ☹️

There is an old quote, supposedly from Voltaire but probably older, which might be relevant here: "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good". 

Wilson

We are on.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown

I think the screen size on the Visoflex 2 on my M10R seems reduced so that a the pixel density remains the same as the M11 but the image size is smaller. I am far from blown away. I actually prefer the screen appearance on my Visoflex 020, which seems larger than the screen size on the Visoflex 2. I think my Visoflex 2 will be going on eBay. I also find it less comfortable to use as unlike the 020, my nose fouls the lower part of the viewfinder. The 020 is excellent ergonomically, the 2 seems to have put a trendy shape ahead of the user experience. All rather underwhelming. 

Wilson

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

I think the screen size on the Visoflex 2 on my M10R seems reduced so that a the pixel density remains the same as the M11 but the image size is smaller. I am far from blown away. I actually prefer the screen appearance on my Visoflex 020, which seems larger than the screen size on the Visoflex 2. I think my Visoflex 2 will be going on eBay. I also find it less comfortable to use as unlike the 020, my nose fouls the lower part of the viewfinder. The 020 is excellent ergonomically, the 2 seems to have put a trendy shape ahead of the user experience. All rather underwhelming. 

Wilson

I sorta agree.  I've tried both, and since the VF020 works for me on an M10, I'll stick with it.  The VF2 (the new square one) I like.  Since I shoot mostly with wide angles <= 35 mm, it stays glued onto my M11.  So my conclusion is that VF020 fits best on the M10-P/D/R, and VF2 on the M11.  

• Like 1