Leica M10 firmware Update (being done to mount the new Visoflex to an older M10).

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Long ago, the M10 was released, and got all the attention.  Then various updates were released, and they were getting the attention.  Now it's the new M11 that is getting the attention.  However, in the discussions about the new Visoflex for the M11, it was announced that it would also be useable on the M10 cameras.

My questions here are first of all, does this include the original M10 camera - will those of us using that camera get a firmware update so we too can use the new Visoflex?

And, since I've lost track, or never even followed firmware updates on the other versions of the M10, are there firmware updates for those cameras that can be installed on the original M10, to make it a little bit better?  

I know this is months away in the future, but for those of us still happily shooting the original M10, it would be something nice to look forward to.  

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Camaro5:

My Leica rep told me today when I was testing the M11 that the firmware update to use the new EVF on the M10 will be out in the spring.

I heard that with a firmware update in March the new EVF will also be usable on all M10's but only with a lower pixel count of 2.4 GPx which would be very disappointing for me.

Red dot camera forum's youtube video from yesterday is the only place I've heard mention of the downgrading of the resolution to 2.4Mp on the M10.  It would be disappointing.  Also, would that mean only a subsection of the EVF would display an image, or would some sort of scaling keep it at full size?  Of course, there's the potential benefit of the fact it's OLED so better dynamic range in the EVF, but in theory this is about 20 stops for OLED and 14 stops for LCD.  So will we even notice if the camera is 14 stops.

vor 42 Minuten schrieb convexferret:

Roughly the price I expected and I'll probably get one. I'd still like @strohscw to confirm where he got his information as it might damp my enthusiasm.

I have read this several times in the giant forum ("Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}"), but since it has more than 6000 entries I have not found that one anymore. Since I have seen with M10M and M10R as the only criticism of the old EVF 020 I was very pleased that there is finally a new be compatible with my M10's. All the more I was disappointed when I read that this should have only a reduced functionality on the M10.
But I have asked this question again to Leica, because I believe that this is only a firmware thing. Hope to have more and more profound statements on this tomorrow.

Found. See the heading "New Visoflex 2" on this page https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2022/01/leica-m11-review-the-ultimate-digital-m/

"given camera hardware limitations, the 3.7-megapixel Visoflex 2 will display a slightly smaller image at 2.4 megapixels when mounted on an M10, the same as the current Visoflex (Typ 020). "

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

And, since I've lost track, or never even followed firmware updates on the other versions of the M10, are there firmware updates for those cameras that can be installed on the original M10, to make it a little bit better?  

My M10 hasn't had a firmware update since I bought it from B&H.  I'm not sure if the other M10 models have had newer firmware updates, but I suspect they have.  My other question on this upcoming M10 firmware update, will it include anything to improve my M10 from the firmware that was out two years ago?  

Regarding the Visoflex, while I like the looks of the new one, there's no chance of my updating, as I've gotten used to having the GPS function working.  Also, if I understand the promotional video correctly, the new Visoflex works in three positions, up, down, and in-between.  My visoflex works in any orientation I set it to.  I wouldn't want to lose that.

1 hour ago, PCPix said:

It would be good if they can make the manual lens coding list editable (as per SL2) so you can shorten the extensive list down to ‘only’ your lenses.

Agree with this - if I have 7 lenses to select from, it would be faster and more convenient to only have those lenses to select from on the camera.

1 hour ago, strohscw said:

and maybe the camera freezes of the M10M and M10R will be solved.

If Leica is going to update the firmware, there are probably lots of updates they might want to include.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

will it include anything to improve my M10 from the firmware that was out two years ago?

Check what FW it has now (in the menu somewhere iirc) and see if it’s up to date, if not either wait for the march/spring visoflex update (which install every historical FW update that’s been anyway) or update it now

With FW OEMs often fix little bugs, even if they don’t confess to erm list them in the first place… sometimes a FW makes a problem, but re the M10 you’d have heard about that by now.

Does your camera offer you ISO100 in the auto ISO menu, as taking that away (to 200) was an early FW update

23 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Check what FW it has now (in the menu somewhere iirc) and see if it’s up to date,

Uh oh....   My firmware is  2.7.5.0, and after a year of no changes, I stopped checking.  Now I see the firmware is up to 2.20.48.38

(from here, February 2021:  https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/02/new-firmware-for-leica-m10-and-m240-gen-cameras/ )

I guess I ought to check this out before I blindly install it.  Is there someplace on the Leica website that give this information?  What does it change from my current firmware?

Yes, ISO 100 is still listed in the "Auto ISO menu".  I don't use auto-ISO so I'm not sure this matters for me.

Thank you - after a year or so, I stopped looking for updates.  

It also says: "The firmware adds 6-bit code support and correction profiles for new lenses. Given the timing, seems that support is primarily aimed at the introduction and subsequent shipping of the recently re-introduced 50mm f/1.2 Noctilux-M ASPH."      If I'm not using any new lenses, is there any point in doing this update?

Edited by MikeMyers

vor 3 Stunden schrieb convexferret:

Found. See the heading "New Visoflex 2" on this page https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2022/01/leica-m11-review-the-ultimate-digital-m/

"given camera hardware limitations, the 3.7-megapixel Visoflex 2 will display a slightly smaller image at 2.4 megapixels when mounted on an M10, the same as the current Visoflex (Typ 020). "

Just talked to a Leica expert and he told me that the M10´s supply only 2.4 MPx video signal for the EVF, so it looks like we have to live with that.

21 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

If I'm not using any new lenses, is there any point in doing this update?

Maybe there’s some bug fixes in there

missive to  the forum massive, didn’t Leica tweak something about colour casts in one of the updates? (Before my time with the camera)

To be honest Mike, it’s up to you, you may very well not notice any difference if you install the latest FW or equally just wait until the visoflex FW comes out.