Trade Summicron v2 for summicron ASPH?

JasperDP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi! I am recently interested in the 35 summicron asph v1. I have a summicron v2 now. It’s a joy to use it on film and digital. Love the vignettes, color and bokeh (loves its color). I found the 35 asph is way sharper and lighter.

Is it a good choice to trade my v2 for asph? Does it still has good color at all? Do I lose all the vintage feel but in return only clinical sharp? Please help me out!

You really have to try the ASPH out for yourself, compare the images it produces against your v2, and see which rendering you prefer; there is no other solution as we don't know what your preferences and priorities are.

You love everything about how the v2 'draws'. Obviously the ASPH does not draw in the same way. IMO the most important aspect of any lens is how it renders the scene. I like small, light and sharp lenses, too, but if the lens doesn't draw as pleasingly to my eye as another lens then there is absolutely no point in having it.

Good luck.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

You will miss probably some vintage feel and the 35/2 asph v1 will appear more "clinical" in your view if you're not used to use asph lenses but you will gain more contrast and acutance, also less flare compared to your v2. Otherwise the 35/2 asph v1 is not lighter (250 vs 170g), it is in fact significantly bulkier. Here compared to 35/2 v4. Two different beasts, i would keep both if budget allows.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2