35mm Summilux vs Summicron ASPH comparison

PeterKKB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, so for fun I took one pic of this static scene with my M10R, using my CV 35 1.4 v2, Lux FLE v1 and Distagon ZM 1.4.  All at 1.4.  No profile.  DNG left untouched, just converted to jpeg in LR, same methodology for all three images.

I just sat on my couch and shot the scene consecutively - framing would have been better to match shot to shot if I used a tripod.  But there you have it, nothing scientific, just trying to see where this 'magic' is at 1.4.

Guess which lens took which, and also just say which one you like the most.  Also no color/wb correction in post.  This is how the M10R processed it. 160 ISO @ 1/30 sec at 1.4 for all of them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Huss said:

Ok, so for fun I took one pic of this static scene with my M10R, using my CV 35 1.4 v2, Lux FLE v1 and Distagon ZM 1.4.  All at 1.4.  No profile.  DNG left untouched, just converted to jpeg in LR, same methodology for all three images.

I just sat on my couch and shot the scene consecutively - framing would have been better to match shot to shot if I used a tripod.  But there you have it, nothing scientific, just trying to see where this 'magic' is at 1.4.

Guess which lens took which, and also just say which one you like the most.  Also no color/wb correction in post.  This is how the M10R processed it. 160 ISO @ 1/30 sec at 1.4 for all of them.

If I had to guess I'd say 1. FLE, 2. CV 1.4, 3. Zeiss.

• Like 1

1. Zeiss (highest resolution in the plane of focus, smooth, modern oof rendering)

2. CV (lowest resolution, a bit of glow, classic oof rendering)

3. FLE (typical modern Summilux drawing - best impression of three-dimensionality)

Edited by anickpick
  • Like 2

I did the same.

I took 3 representative images with my three 35mm lenses - 35 lux FLE, 35 summicron and 35 Old Delft all wide open. I was careful to pick the proper subject so the difference can clearly be seen, just like the poster above. The images were shot from the couch in my cellar. Lights off. At night.

Can you tell which is which? No cheating with the EXIF!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Huss said:

1. fle

2. cv

3. zm

7 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I did the same.

I took 3 representative images with my three 35mm lenses - 35 lux FLE, 35 summicron and 35 Old Delft all wide open. I was careful to pick the proper subject so the difference can clearly be seen, just like the poster above. The images were shot from the couch in my cellar. Lights off. At night.

If you close your eyes, the details in each image are simply amazing. 💡

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I cannot speak for everyone, but a few years ago when I was looking at entering the Leica world for the first time, Leica had loaned me an M10 with a 35mm Summilux 1.4 FLE. 

I shot with it for a month. I loved how it rendered everything. 

I purchased a Leica M10 but ended up buying a Summicron (deal with the M10). I had read a lot about how contrasty it is, which is what I prefer over sharpness. I have a few Summicrons now and in love with them, but one thing I remember about the 35 Lux is how clinically sharp it felt at 1.4. 

You can't go wrong with either. Having both, I do prefer the cron for my own reasons. But the Lux is brilliant and sharp, Tthat's all I remember about that lens and the only experience I can compare it too. Oh and it felt slightly bigger/loner than the Cron, and I prefer a smaller lens.

Anyway photo of my brother shot at 1.4 with the Lux. It is nice. I agree you are probably splitting hairs between them if shot at f/4 etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, anickpick said:

1. Zeiss (highest resolution in the plane of focus, smooth, modern oof rendering)

2. CV (lowest resolution, a bit of glow, classic oof rendering)

3. FLE (typical modern Summilux drawing - best impression of three-dimensionality)

Incorrect!  The opposite.

11 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I did the same.

Nice work!  I see how you appreciate 'that magic' at 1.4

The give-away, shooting at 1.4, is the CV has harsh outlines in the OOF circles in the background.  And the Zeiss image is cooler than the FLE image.

Also pixel peeping at 1.4 - which you couldn't do with these pics as posted - the CV is much softer in the center.  The Zeiss and FLE are about the same, but the Zeiss is contrastier.  These are things that can be adjusted in post.

Now some people on Fredmiranda - Fred in particular! - do the most incredible, intensive comparison tests, at all apertures, at different distances, from the corners across the entire field. When you do this, I have been told the ZM is the tops as it also shows a very flat focus field, while apparently the FLE is wavy etc.  Also tests for flare  and a bunch of other stuff.

Downsides with the ZM?  Obviously the size, I find the focus feel to feel very sticky, as if it is lubricated with molasses, and the aperture clicks area kinda harsh feeling and at 1/3 stops.  Downsides with the FLE?  I guess price.  Downsides with the CV?  Well, not as sharp as the other two, has smeary OOF shapes towards the sides wide open.  But the size and price is killer and still can make super pics in actual use.

• Like 4

On 12/15/2022 at 6:17 PM, maxfairclough said:

I cannot speak for everyone, but a few years ago when I was looking at entering the Leica world for the first time, Leica had loaned me an M10 with a 35mm Summilux 1.4 FLE. 

I shot with it for a month. I loved how it rendered everything. 

I purchased a Leica M10 but ended up buying a Summicron (deal with the M10). I had read a lot about how contrasty it is, which is what I prefer over sharpness. I have a few Summicrons now and in love with them, but one thing I remember about the 35 Lux is how clinically sharp it felt at 1.4. 

You can't go wrong with either. Having both, I do prefer the cron for my own reasons. But the Lux is brilliant and sharp, Tthat's all I remember about that lens and the only experience I can compare it too. Oh and it felt slightly bigger/loner than the Cron, and I prefer a smaller lens.

Anyway photo of my brother shot at 1.4 with the Lux. It is nice. I agree you are probably splitting hairs between them if shot at f/4 etc.

Thanks for the perspective. If I may ask: why do you prefer the Summicron? 

I decided and gotten the Summilux, somehow from reviews, comments, sample shots etc I felt it's what would work better for me. Thanks a lot for all the comments and thoughts you've shared, they were really helpful. I still have on the back of my mind the Summicron and plan to borrow and shoot with it to get a sense for it - has a lot going for it - but can't justify 2 35mm Leica lenses. 

3 hours ago, PeterKKB said:

I decided and gotten the Summilux, somehow from reviews, comments, sample shots etc I felt it's what would work better for me. Thanks a lot for all the comments and thoughts you've shared, they were really helpful. I still have on the back of my mind the Summicron and plan to borrow and shoot with it to get a sense for it - has a lot going for it - but can't justify 2 35mm Leica lenses. 

Congrats on your lens. Did you buy the Summilux FLE v1? I've had mine for a few years and really like the mix of modern sharpness, moderate contrast and a little bit of classic rendering when wide open. I find it's a good blend and not too bland. I had a series of Summicrons from the V4 to the Asph 1 and Asph 2 but the V4 was my favorite and I only moved on because of the occasional veiling/ghosting flare. The Cron Asph 2 took care of that (not the Asph 1) but had the urge to go with the Summilux and despite the size it's such a nice single all around lens.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, archive_all said:

Congrats on your lens. Did you buy the Summilux FLE v1? I've had mine for a few years and really like the mix of modern sharpness, moderate contrast and a little bit of classic rendering when wide open. I find it's a good blend and not too bland. I had a series of Summicrons from the V4 to the Asph 1 and Asph 2 but the V4 was my favorite and I only moved on because of the occasional veiling/ghosting flare. The Cron Asph 2 took care of that (not the Asph 1) but had the urge to go with the Summilux and despite the size it's such a nice single all around lens.

Thanks, I'm really excited about it waiting for it to arrive! I've gotten the ASPH (non-FLE) version. I debated a lot vs buying a new FLE but focus shift is not a big problem for me so at the end went with the ASPH. The Summicron v4 was also on my list with the ASPH and I hope I get the chance to shoot them both. I've handled the Summilux ASPH before buying and I'm OK with the size (although clearly Summicron is smaller). 

• Like 1