28 Summilux vs. 28 Summicron Asph V2

Nick Lo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Marckyokay said:

Discussing everything, everywhere, all at once 😂 
He also acquired a silver Elmarit. 

@Steven I'm curious which one you got? The "White Edition" with these white/greyish markings, or the one with black and red lettering? 

Red scale, I prefer it. At first I only could find the while scale one and almost got it as it’s quite easy to pass in red scale yourself at home. 

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 2:11 PM, Steven said:

What’s a smeg ? 

This maybe off topic but, is anyone familiar with a British SciFi series’s named “Red Dwarf”. They used that same word but it doesn’t mean a kitchen appliance. If you want a laugh, it’s on YouTube. 

28 Cron Safari -|- BwXX

I will have a few rolls of BwXX and a roll of Ektachrome shot exclusively with the 28 Cron coming back from the lab in a week or so.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Follow-up with 28 Cron on BwXX and Ektachrome 100

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I hear the Summilux is big - but how big in relation to an 35 FLE Summilux or a 50 Lux?

I've been trying out the Voigtlander 28 f2.8 Color Skopar and it is a great tiny lens for day to day things, but contemplating getting a Summilux for dedicated photography. The Summicron is interesting, but seems sort of stuck in the middle for me (and based on the feedback here, most prefer the Lux's rendering).

10 hours ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

I hear the Summilux is big - but how big in relation to an 35 FLE Summilux or a 50 Lux?

I've been trying out the Voigtlander 28 f2.8 Color Skopar and it is a great tiny lens for day to day things, but contemplating getting a Summilux for dedicated photography. The Summicron is interesting, but seems sort of stuck in the middle for me (and based on the feedback here, most prefer the Lux's rendering).

If used on an M, it’s big enough that it stopped inspiring me to shoot, even though it’s the perfect focal length/aperture for me, but more importantly my favorite rendering of all time out of any lens. It’s so big that I haven’t used it in a year and might just sell it. 

i could never bond with the summicron. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

No, not that big.  Not as big as the 21 & 24 Summilux, 50 & 75 Noctilux, 75 Summilux, 90 Summilux or APO Summicron; but somewhat larger than the latest 35 Summilux.

While being a compact system (even the biggest M lenses are demure compared to other systems), for me the size constraint is how the lens feels in the hand - ease of use of the aperture and focus rings, and balance.  The 35 Summilux pre-ash and the 28 Summaron-M (much as I love the latter) are problematic in that sense.  They're well designed, but fiddly in my hands.

I've never worried about viewfinder blockage.  The frame lines are vague guides at best, so I tend to move the camera to see what's behind the lens obstruction in the same way I look outside the frame lines.

The primary driver for any lens, for me, is focal length and image quality.  Anything else is secondary.

Good luck with your choice.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

late to the party, just saw this thread. I've only had my M10 for a month. I'd love a used summilux just for it's rendering at 1.4 and would be willing to pay the  roughly $4400 they're going for used, but not willing to put up with its size/weight. I considered the cron, and ultimately went with the ultron. I think it pairs well with my M10, and unlike others, don't have any objections to the focus tab. Here are shots I took last week with the ultron. In bright light stopped down to f11, it turns the M10 into a point/shoot.

https://brick.smugmug.com/Photography/2024-3-20-Ft-Lauderdale-spring-break

• 3 weeks later...

Some months are gone, and I now use the Summicron more often than the Lux. (Indeed my most loved 28mm is the APO SL 28).

The Lux has this special shallow DOF effect and quite a nice drawing, but I find it a little bit on the heavy big side for an M lens and while it is ok sidewise, the M for me is the portable and light system. I also encountered that in my type of photography, if I shoot 28mm I often do not look for super shallow DOF, its more about the complete scene, so I don't need f1.4 often in such a lens.

I still think it's a very special and one of the most interesting M lenses. But it depends a lot on personal needs and taste.