Trading SL2-S for SL3

Dr. G

7 hours ago, nicci78 said:

It is just the information from Petapixel video review. 

Evidently they got it wrong. You don't need to keep pressing the button for five seconds, you can let go after a second or so.

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Exactly ! That’s the issue their rolling shutter is really bad. Making all 60MP unsuitable for videos and for electronic shutter only (Sigma fp L is notoriously bad for that) 

fp-l reviews were funny. On the one hand, you had a reviewers who claimed it was unusable, and demonstrated this by violently shaking the camera, which looks terrible in any video. On the other hand, serious sites like CineD were able to produce high-quality work that was leagues above what the vlogging sites could ever dream of producing.

It's been the case since the beginnings of cinema that a fast pan shot look terrible. We are talking about something that's been known since the nineteenth century! Cinematography manuals have charts of maximum pan speeds by focal length. Is the SL3 slower than that? The fp-l wasn't so I'd be surprised if that was the case.

• Like 1

It is just the information from Petapixel video review. 
Just take a look. 
I think it may be the same issue as with Q3 and M11. Very first time startup is long. Then subsequent ones are faster. Then once in a while it will require a full long startup. 

I do not have time to watch the whole YouTube review. Please share the time stamp where they say that. Regardless of what they say, the current owners have debunked that misinformation.

Exactly ! That’s the issue their rolling shutter is really bad. Making all 60MP unsuitable for videos and for electronic shutter only (Sigma fp L is notoriously bad for that) 

You wrote that it is unsuitable for photos, which is not true, and that is what I objected to.

Sony semi is making customised stacked sensor for anyone willing to pay for it :

- Olympus/OM System 20MP m4/3 

- Nikon Z9/Z8 45MP FF

- Fujifilm X-H2S 26MP APS-C 

All stacked 

You forgot:

- Sony A1

- Sony a9II

Which of those cameras have sensors that are available for other companies to purchase? I know that Sony A1/A9 and Nikon's stacked sensors are unavailable for other companies to purchase (unlike the common 60MP sensor). All FF stacked sensors I know of have been custom-made for the appropriate camera manufacturer (Sony and Nikon).

6 hours ago, mipo said:

In this video its mentioned that some software updates will still come to SL2S camera / joystick magnification for focus check. I am also in no rush upgarding to SL3. If I will upgrade it might be the Sl3S or even will skip one generation. Sl2S serves me plenty. 

Joystick magnification is already out (1.1.0).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://photorumors.com/2024/01/03/panasonic-s1-ii-s1-iix-cameras-rumored-specifications/

Latest rumors about S1 II & IIx

Obviously for a video centric company like Panasonic it won’t make sense to use slow 60MP sensor. Rumors point to 34MP FF stacked sensor !! With PDAF.

It will be 6K only (but that should be ok) 

This is certainly the spec of future SL3-S 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2024 at 4:23 PM, PeterBoyadjian said:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/7yey0sy80c13npwko31uh/h?rlkey=mt9e3adgbikmijo4mybc7x4tq&dl=0

Here is a dropbox link, 6400 and 12800 comparison. SL2S is on the left side. 

Raw exported from Lightroom, no adjustments. 

SL3 handles how light very well. Slightly worse than the SL2S, much better than the SL2

12800, SL2S still the best. Thanks for the sharing!

Edited by Gavin G

Any time I think about buying new gear - the question to ask self - what is the problem you are trying to solve?  What is the deficiency in your current setup?  90% of the time, it's GAS.

I have a SL2-S and am not planning to upgrade because it does everything I need it to do.  The only thing I want in the SL3 is the tilting screen but I am not willing to pay $7000 just for that upgrade.

• Like 4

Currently, I use a SL2-s together with a S007. The colours and contrast handling are close enough to mix the pictures. I prefer the look of the SL2-s over the results from the S1R and the SL2.

I visited Wetzlar yesterday and played with the SL3.

First question I tried to answer was „can I use the 90-280 and crop the pictures to get similar results as the Sigma 150-600 on the SL2-s“. Maybe, but the SL2-s is still a bit ahead

Second question was „is the SL-3 with a Summilux 50mm ahead of the S007 with the 70mm Summicron. Definitely no.

Third question was „how does the SL3 handle S-lenses“. Only AF-s and manual mode is available. Focus speed is slow, picture quality is excellent

Some other observations:

• PDAF is fast, but it seems to be not available with „spot“ autofocus. The Summilux focuses with „spot“ much slower on the SL3 than on the SL2-s. I made a similar observation with the SL2, but it appears worse on the SL3
  • At ISO 100 the pictures are absolutely clean, at ISO 1600 there is some noise that is not disturbing on normal pictures. But with long tele shots with low contrast, it becomes more visible in the post processing and eats up details. This might be the reason that the Sigma 150-600 plus SL2-s is still a bit ahead although the 90-280 is the better lens.
  • The shutter sounds different, but seems very well damped.
  • The black out after the shot appears to be long, even compared to the mirrow up and down of the S007. But this feeling maybe wrong.
  • Moving the buttons to right side is good.
  • The tilted screen is good

There are lot of good  things about this camera, but as long as I‘m able to carry the SL2-s and The S007 it seems to be the better option for me. Let’s see what the firmware updates bring.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Olaf_ZG said:

No, I decided to add a second body instead: the SL2.

I decided to sell my SL2s and SL2S and get the SL3. While those cameras are great, Leica’s R&D investment in the SL3 is real and I want to take advantage of it and future updates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

I decided to sell my SL2s and SL2S and get the SL3. While those cameras are great, Leica’s R&D investment in the SL3 is real and I want to take advantage of it and future updates.

Respectfully, when does the upgrading cycle end?  Every new release is a "real" investment in R&D but at what point do you decide that the gear you have is adequate/satisfactory?

Am 9.3.2024 um 09:23 schrieb PeterBoyadjian:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/7yey0sy80c13npwko31uh/h?rlkey=mt9e3adgbikmijo4mybc7x4tq&dl=0

Here is a dropbox link, 6400 and 12800 comparison. SL2S is on the left side. 

Raw exported from Lightroom, no adjustments. 

SL3 handles how light very well. Slightly worse than the SL2S, much better than the SL2

Thanks so much for these. SL3 has more granular noise than SL2-S which usually helps with AI denoising. The focus point in the ISO 6400 and 12800 pictures is not on the exact same spot between the SL2-S and the SL3 but it’s very useful to see these nonetheless. 

8 minutes ago, Kreeshp said:

Respectfully, when does the upgrading cycle end?  Every new release is a "real" investment in R&D but at what point do you decide that the gear you have is adequate/satisfactory?

Everyone has to decide for himself, doesn’t he? In my case, I was going to pass on the SL3, but the combination of improvements and smaller size led me to cash in my SL2s.