35mm Summilux vs Summicron ASPH comparison

PeterKKB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I’m really torn between the two aspherical lenses (either 35mm Summicron ASPH or Summilux ASPH). I went through most threads on this topic in this forum and for me it’s clear that apart from the speed issue these two lenses have a very different look: the Summicron more modern while the Summilux a bit more romantic maybe and with the ability for better separation. Has there been made a direct comparison (same photos shot with the two lenses) either here or somewhere on the Internet because this would be a great resource to be able to compare, thanks.  

Edited by PeterKKB
Better explanation of what I’m looking for

Summilux is also very modern, but the optical limitations (within the laws of physics for 1.4) wide open make it more "romantic". There is a very fair amount of CA on the lux as well. The apparent differences are obviously seen wide open... there is a thread for the Summilux 35 FLE here (and his new troubled sibling 35 FLE CF) and a thread for both versions of 35 Summicron ASPH, plus a thread for the 35 APO. Just use the search function and check them out yourself.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, PeterKKB said:

I went through most threads on this topic in this forum and for me it’s clear that apart from the speed issue these two lenses have a very different look: the Summicron more modern while the Summilux a bit more romantic maybe and with the ability for better separation.

I own both 35/2 asph v1 and 35/1.4 FLE v1 lenses. These are (to me) very close lenses with a modern rendition and nothing romantic from this view point. If you're torn between those two lenses just ask yourself if you need f/1.4. If you do you may wish to go for the Summilux, if you don't for the Summicron. Now if you're after some romantic rendition, you may wish to look for earlier lenses like Summicron 35/2 v1 to v4 or Sumilux 35/1.4 v1 or v2 or you may me tempted by the new Summilux 35/1.4 Classic # 11301.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Artin said:

I had both as well in V1 and V2 asph. And the FLE.  While the FLE has always been my favourite 35mm in terms of sharpness versatility and that modern Leica look without the eye pearling contrast. The Summicron asph was always my least favourite somewhat  harsh  and clinical.  

I came across this a lot. I personally like the clinical look and stronger  Summicron contrast but just afraid it might be proven too much in real life. Also I’m not a huge fan of vast out of focus although at the end Summilux does seem to separate better and you can’t argue that it can be charming wide open. All in all difficult to chose. 

6 hours ago, Huss said:

I did not find my Summicron 35 Asph v1 harsh or clinical.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Neither do I.

If you want a generally excellent small lens that’s more than good enough most of the time when ‘character’ and f1.4 aren’t the main consideration, a 35mm summicron asph is a good choice.

Where it’s most often whinged-about  ‘weaknesses’ are made to look worse is usually down to the person using it and making a wrong decision in the first place who then blames the lens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When deciding between Summicron-M 35 mm Asph and Summilux-M 35 mm Asph then the criteria simply are speed, size and weight, and cost. The rendition is no useful criterion because the two lenses render very similar.

If a slightly romantic ... umm, or let's say, softer rendition is what you're after then maybe you should consider the Summilux-M 35 mm (no Asph).

At the other end of the spectrum—i. e. no softness at all, near-perfect sharpness combined with smooth bokeh, and extremely low inclination to flare—would be the Apo-Summicron-M 35 mm Asph ... but at considerable cost.

• Like 1

I have both.  The Summicron ASPH (most recent version) and the Summilux ASPH FLE (version just before the recent integrated lens hood).

For me the choice is rendering at the boundaries.  If I am really in a mode for wide open effects I run the Lux.  The Cron is my "f8 and don't be late" lens.  I would choose the cron 80% of the time over the lux for general out and around photography often set to f8 hyperfocal distance and shot like a really expensive point and shoot.  That said, I have traveled with the Lux as my sole lens as well.  It all depends.  Don't underestimate the size difference, I find the Lux to be noticeably heavier on the camera.  I do use the lens hoods on both, mostly as bump guards; the front end of the hood tells the story;).

I don't have direct comparison shots between the two.  I pick one or the other as described above.  Browsing through my catalog this morning, except when the Lux is wide open, I really can't tell which one was used.  It could be that my normal style tends to override the lens subtlies or it could be that there isn't a significant difference.  I'll throw a few images in the next couple posts for fun so you can see what I mean.

Madrid

Edited by KFo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

San Cugat Plaza, Barcelona

Edited by KFo
  • Like 3

Tourists Puerto Rico

• Like 3

Casa Vincens, Barcelona

• Like 2

Barista, Puerto Rico

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Nice images but it is rather pointless to put them here as the OP clearly stated in post #3 he has seen individual image threads and wants direct comparison images.

And my point is that direct comparisons are pointless.

Edited by KFo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1