On the fence about buying the 50 SL Summilux…..

trickness

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are some shots taken today using the 50 f1.4 R E60 and the 35 f1.4 R. Both at f1.4. The joy of using them on the SL is that I can focus them accurately at f1.4. I am fortunate to have the SL Summicron's, but I forgot how superb these R lenses are. I have enjoyed my day of manual focussing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Leica Summilux-SL-1:1,4/50 ASPH. together with Leica SL2 still is a big hit for my photographic work, so rewarding.

• Like 7

On 3/30/2022 at 4:15 PM, andyturk said:

SL50 Summilux at f/4.0 on a SL601. The weather sealing was definitely needed while shooting in the sand.

Wow there is so much background separation here it looks like she’s standing in front of a painting 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 6:16 PM, T25UFO said:

I’ve followed your Q2M street series in the image thread - some really excellent photos showcasing what this camera is good at.  I agree you wouldn’t get anything like the same results with a 50mm Summilux mounted on the SL2!  Horses for courses.

Many thanks for the kind words. I also do a lot of street portraiture, and I use a 50 Lux M ASPH sometimes (this pic with that lens). So I am still intrigued by how the SL Lux photos would look.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, trickness said:

Many thanks for the kind words. I also do a lot of street portraiture, and I use a 50 Lux M ASPH sometimes (this pic with that lens). So I am still intrigued by how the SL Lux photos would look.

A much younger version 😄 with the SL 50mm Summilux, would look like this:

• Like 4

On 4/6/2022 at 12:41 AM, trickness said:

The peak of the best plane of focus is higher, giving the impression of a narrower depth of field, and the roll-off is gentler.  In comparison with the 50 Summilux-M ASPH, I would say it is sharper across the frame, and the bokeh is marginally smoother, and nicer.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2022 at 2:10 AM, IkarusJohn said:

The peak of the best plane of focus is higher, giving the impression of a narrower depth of field, and the roll-off is gentler.  In comparison with the 50 Summilux-M ASPH, I would say it is sharper across the frame, and the bokeh is marginally smoother, and nicer.

I agree and show an example, SL2 with Summilux-SL-50mm/f1,4

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, matted said:

So after reading this thread, it sound like the consensus is to have a Summilux-SL 50, a Summilux-M 50, a Summilux-R 50, a Summicron-SL 50, and a Noctilux .95 50 in my bag? Got it...

Not gonna lie after seeing the pictures I also want a summilux-sl. I don't even prefer the 50mm focal length. Luckily, how much the price has gone up the last few years helps me keep my card in the wallet. 🥹

Ho Chi Minh City - SL & SL 50mm Summilux

• Like 4

SL & SL50mm Summilux - Ho Chi Minh City

• Like 5

I shot this with the 50 1.4 Summilux M ASPH. When you can get results like this with that tiny lens, it makes one wonder if it’s worth it to have all that extra weight and size for the image quality improvement the SL 50 Lux affords. I’m still on the fence! 😂

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, trickness said:

I shot this with the 50 1.4 Summilux M ASPH. When you can get results like this with that tiny lens, it makes one wonder if it’s worth it to have all that extra weight and size for the image quality improvement the SL 50 Lux affords. I’m still on the fence! 😂

Maybe with the new eye tracking/selection AF on the SL2 and SL2-S firmware, you can get the eyes in focus.

23 minutes ago, beewee said:

Maybe with the new eye tracking/selection AF on the SL2 and SL2-S firmware, you can get the eyes in focus.

What makes you think I wanted to get the eyes in focus? Point of focus is a creative decision, a picture should be viewed as a whole. It’s not a competition to see how sharp you can get the eyes

• Like 2

SL 50 Lux is an awesome lens but simply too big to carry around, I forced myself to do it many times and it always rewarded me with really good images, but I eventually sold it as I’m not a professional and this lens belongs in a studio and I’d always say ‘next time’ when choosing a lens cos of the weight 

• Like 1