75 Summilux

Paul J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Summilux 75mm V1 has a very smooth transition to OOF, and its true bokeh is gentle, low contrast, unlike some ASPH lenses. If that is what you want, then look for it in photographs and make your own decision. I am an old timer. I like the original 75mm Summilux. You may not. It is this difference that makes our craft so very interesting to me.

By V1 do you mean the Canadian version? I guess V2 is the later German model?

There is no optical difference between V1 and V2. This lens was produced between 1980-2007. 1980-1983 (V1) had a separate bayonet hood. 1983-2007 (V2) had a built in slide out hood. According to the Wiki only 14,752 75mm Summiluxes were ever made. Most of these lenses were made in Canada and I believe that it was in the final year of production that manufacturing was moved to Germany. There is no difference between those made in Canada or Germany although the latter command a premium in the secondary market (usually at least $1000 more). The price of this lens has increased a lot in the last year and now usually goes for between $3500-4500, depending on version, condition, coding, where it was made and if it includes the box and leather pouch, etc.

It has been said before, but this was supposedly Walter Mandler's favorite lens.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/75mm_f/1.4_Summilux-M

Erik

Edited by egrossman

By V1 do you mean the Canadian version? I guess V2 is the later German model?

I'm not sure what the correct term is, but mine was made in Canada and it uses a lens shade that slides over two lugs, or takes a screw-in shade. (Very hard to find the original shade).

Maybe someone can give me a clue.

Summilux-M 75 mm production numbers, according to Erwin Puts, Leica Pocket Guide, 2010.

Made in Canada:

1980 — 1,000 (external hood)

1981 — 1,000 (external hood)

1982 — 2,000 (built-in hood)

1983 — 2,000 (built-in hood)

Made in Germany (all with built-in hood):

1987 — 500

1988 — 500

1989 — 500

1990 — 800

1991 — 500

1992 — 300

1993 — 752

1995 — 1,000

1997 — 200

1998 — 1,100

1999 — 500

2000 — 600

2001 — 500

2002 — 500

2004 — 300

2005 — 200

So according to Puts, 6,000 pieces were made in Canada; 8,752 supposedly were made in Germany. However as far as I can tell, these data just say when serial number ranges got assigned to planned batches. They don't say how many lenses actually were produced, and when. It is possible that the actual number of lenses produced is smaller than the serial number ranges suggest. Note that in some years, no 75 mm Summilux lenses were made (or more precisely: no serial numbers were assigned).

Strangely, judging by the serial number, my sample apparently is from the 2004 batch—but it came in a modern black-and-silver box with a label saying, '6-bit coded.' So it was boxed and sold in 2006 or later, with a 6-bit code right from the factory. Was it made in 2004 and then sat in stock, waiting for two years to get coded, boxed, and moved? Or was it made not before 2006? I don't know ... but it seems unclear when exactly the last samples were made.

• Like 4

Well, according to its S/N (361xxxx), mine was made in 1993. However, the lens barrel engraving says "Made in Canada".

It could be that batches of parts were actually produced in Canada and the lenses subsequently assembled in Germany, but that's unlikely.

From what I recall from previous investigations, all the lenses were made in Canada until 1999 (S/N around 386xxxx), then production was moved to Germany until it was discontinued.

My understanding is that it is difficult to tell where the lenses were made towards the end of production in Canada.

ELCAN (LEeitz CANdada) located in Midland, was sold to Raytheon in 1999. Production of lenses was moved to Germany. But, ELCAN (the name was sold to Ratheon), continued to make the 75 Summilux and the 50 Summilux lenses until 2007. The Noctilux was discontinued in 2008 and I'm not sure when the 75 Summilux was finally discontinued. So, some lenses were made at ELCAN after the factory was sold. I guess the lenses(optics) were still made in Canada and assembled and stamped "Made in Germany" after 1999.

I have the Canadian 75 Summilux with a serial number from 1999. It was made in the famous ELCAN factory. (I think that the Canadian 75 Summilux is the the best) :) I like to imagine that Walt (Mandler) himself walked through the ELCAN factory one day, checking on production, and he picked up my lens and while bouncing it in his hand exclaimed: "You know, this lens was always my favorite. They'll never make a smoother lens than my double gauss."

Only problem, he retired in 1985 and my lens was made 15 years after that. But, he could have been just visiting. :)

Oh, I love this lens.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like to imagine that Walt (Mandler) himself walked through the ELCAN factory one day, checking on production, and he picked up my lens and while bouncing it in his hand exclaimed: "You know, this lens was always my favorite. They'll never make a smoother lens than my double gauss."

Only problem, he retired in 1985 and my lens was made 15 years after that. But, he could have been just visiting. :)

Oh, I love this lens.

Mandlergeist:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Oh, I love this lens.

Mine has serial number 3223xxx which means according to this list that it was made in 1982 when Walter Mandler was still working.

I quite enjoy owning a small piece of Canadian history. :D

• Like 1

Okay, my 75mm Summilux has no serial number on the lens rim.

It is marked Made in Canada and uses the lug-style lens shade.

The serial number is on mine is on the F-stop ring: 3 151 189.

According to the list "3 087 001 -> 3 160 500: 1981,

making mine one of the last lug-mount shade models made.

00 stamped vertically by the "m" mark (meter, near infinity).

http://www.digoliardi.net/00.jpg

Not that it matters. It's a very fine lens.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

ELCAN (Ernst Leitz CANdada) located in Midland, was sold to Raytheon in 1999. Production of lenses was moved to Germany. But, ELCAN (the name was sold to Raytheon), continued to make the 75 Summilux and the 50 Summilux lenses until 2007. [...] So, some lenses were made at ELCAN after the factory was sold. I guess the lenses (optics) were still made in Canada and assembled and stamped "Made in Germany" after 1999.

Ernst Leitz Canada (Ltd.), or ELCAN for short, was sold to Hughes Aircraft in 1987 or 1990 (diverging information from different sources). Hughes Aircraft, in turn, sold it to Raytheon in the late '90s.

I don't know if ELCAN continued to make lens elements or lens parts for Leica Camera AG after 1987/1990 ... but I doubt it. I guess when ELCAN got sold, they still had lots of barrel parts in stock, engraved "Made in Canada", which were used years later to assemble finished lenses—in Solms, Germany. Anyway ... it's surprisingly diffcult to find reliable and accurate information as to when production actually got relocated to Germany and when it was finally discontinued altogether ...

• Like 2

Yes - 01AF has it right. I understand some of the information was obscured because of the US military having used Leitz Canada and there were "official secrets". Shades of the Cold War... :rolleyes: After all, the main reason Leitz Canada was established was the fear of a nuclear battleground in central Europe and Leitz was considered a strategic asset. We'll probably have to wait another 40 years for the full story to become clear.

I believe both of you could be incorrect. I have a lens with a serial number from 1996 and it was stamped, "Made in Canada." Tony Rose had a lens a few years ago that had a serial number that placed it in 1999 and it also was stamped, "Made in Canada." I seem to remember that back then, the rumor was that ELCAN continued to make glass for the Noctilux and the 75 Summilux into the next century, although I think everything after 1999 was stamped, "Made in Germany."

I always thought that the 1999 date of the completion of sale of ELCAN was the time period of when final assembly was moved to Germany. But, I certainly don't know for sure either.

Guest stanjan0

Question, the 75mm f/1.4 first manufactured in Canada, then moved to Germany and soon after stopped production. My question why is Leica now producing a newer, slower, f/2 version, it seems like Leica is not producing a faster version now, WHY. :confused:

Mine is SN 3837xxx and says Made in Canada. I could care where it's made as it is superb and is currently with Leica to have it changed to Made in Germany and 6 bit coded since I like to know what lens was used on each image since I almost never remember to manually change it. That's just me.

Just joking about Made in Germany.

• Like 1

Mine is SN 3837xxx and says Made in Canada. I could care where it's made as it is superb and is currently with Leica to have it changed to Made in Germany and 6 bit coded since I like to know what lens was used on each image since I almost never remember to manually change it. That's just me.

Just joking about Made in Germany.

Leica purists have done crazier things than this...

Regards, Jim

Just acquired s/n 3607xxx, which has "Made in Canada" on the barrel, but also seems to have been made in 1992 which would suggest that it was assembled in Germany - curious.

Anyway, I will probably get it 6 bit coded when I'm in Germany in July, and they can check it at the same time.

One 6 bit coded, APO-Summicron 75/2 ASPH in perfect condition about to go onto the Buy-Sell section of the forum!

Cheers

John

Just acquired s/n 3607xxx, which has "Made in Canada" on the barrel, but also seems to have been made in 1992 which would suggest that it was assembled in Germany - curious.

Anyway, I will probably get it 6 bit coded when I'm in Germany in July, and they can check it at the same time.

One 6 bit coded, APO-Summicron 75/2 ASPH in perfect condition about to go onto the Buy-Sell section of the forum!

Cheers

John

Sold in less than 24 hours!

Now, I just need to wait for the Summilux to arrive ...