Question about buying 35mm Summilux FLE Version I

35 mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, 

I have a question for you. I have the opportunity to buy a Summilux 35mm FLE Version I. The optical condition seems to be very good. However, the lens is already 10 years old (2014).
Is there anything I need to pay special attention to with this lens.

It is from a reputable dealer with a guarantee. The risk therefore seems manageable to me.

Many greetings and thank you for your help.

Please excuse my English, I am using deepl

As with any lens, if you can personally inspect it before purchase all the better. Make sure there is some sort of warranty or return privileges. I don't own this lens so I can't provide lens specific info, but I am sure if you search this forum you will find info to guide you in your evaluation. I've owned lots of older lenses over the years and generally found minor imperfections to be irrelevant in picture taking, mostly important to collectors and fashionistas.

• Like 2

10 years old is young in Leica terms. They are made to last for ever, and all can still be serviced, mostly by third parties, but lenses like this could be serviced in Wezlar too if need be. My oldest lenses are from 1930 and still performing as good as the day they left Leica production.

Of course that does not mean there is no risk involved when buying a used lens. As @spydrxx mentioned a return policy is wise. And when inspecting the lens, look for signs of abuse on the outside. Minor scratches and signs of use do not worry me. But dents and signs of malfunction like very stiff focusing or aperture ring are concerning.
Open the aperture fully and look through it against the light to inspect it for issues.

Minor scratches on front or rear element usually do not have an effect on the images, but they do affect the resale price. I would not accept a lens with major (deep) scratches or issues with the coating. Again they are signs of abuse.
Original box, pouch and papers in good condition will increase resale value, and they are proof of a careful user most of the time....

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I have bought this lens used twice. Sold the first one only because I thought I could do without as 35mm is not my most used FL. One year later a used like new 35 FLE came out at a bargain price at my local Leica dealer and I had to buy it again. I would buy a used 35FLE with more confidence than the new close focus one that had the diaphragm blades falling apart...

Both my 35 FLE were bought from a local dealer with 3months warranty. But they were like new.

Edited by Pierre68
typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 35 mm said:

I have the opportunity to buy a Summilux 35mm FLE Version I. The optical condition seems to be very good. However, the lens is already 10 years old (2014).
Is there anything I need to pay special attention to with this lens.

Mine is from 2012. As with all FLE lenses, i would check that focusing is accurate and focus ring smooth enough. Here on M11 @ f/1.4, FF & crop:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Mine is from 2013 and is well worn cosmetically but the glass is in good shape. I’ve put it through its paces and it was time for a tuneup, I had Don Goldberg service the lens last year and functionally it’s good as new while still retaining my cosmetic wear from heavy use.

as with any lens, don’t worry so much about the age, as long as it’s in good shape you should be fine, and if it’s a little rough try to get the best deal you can and then have Don service it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

USED LENS PURCHASE CHECKLIST:

1. Fungus, haze, spots between elements
2. Scratches on the elements
3. Diaphragm blade oil (absent!)
4. Smoothness of focus
5. DECENTERING! - shoot wide open at infinity and check all 4 corners
6. RF coupling
7. Overal sharpness and chromatic aberration (CA) wide open - if it has been dismantled, it should have been put together properly to standards. My former black 35 FLE (depicted here) was showing way too much CA because of a repair performed on it. My brand new silver one has extremely little CA SOOB.
8. Signs of screwdriver on back bayonet screws
9. Visible dents - a sign of hit/fall

• Like 4

19 hours ago, 35 mm said:

I have the opportunity to buy a Summilux 35mm FLE Version I. The optical condition seems to be very good. However, the lens is already 10 years old (2014).

According to the wiki here the V.1 was made until 2010! I have a V.1 from 2001 and its my most used lens. No problems with it at all. As above just do the 'standrad' checks, use it a check the results. If there are any problems get them sorted out by the dealer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgk said:

According to the wiki here the V.1 was made until 2010

You confused the FLE with ASPH.
The pre-FLE (ASPH V1) was made from 1994 to 2010. It is the one you have.
The FLE V1 (ASPH V2) was made in 2010
The FLE V2 (with close focus) was made in 2022

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 9:20 PM, 35 mm said:

Hello everyone,
Thank you very much for your comments and advice. I have bought the lens and am looking forward to the first photowalks.
Best regards 

Don't forget to paste photos here.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Alberti said:

What are experiences with CA (purple edges) with the 35FLE/vI lens?

I have returned some four Voigtländer lenses because of that  . .

Let me tell you, the first (used, depicted here) version of 35 FLE v1 I had was A-W-F-U-L, I thought someone must have taken it apart and put it back together wrongly. It had CA all over the backlit highlights, very very badly so. I sold it eventually (traded for another lens) and a Leica Boutique sales rep offered me a brand new silver FLE v1 for the same price I paid for the used one before (2900 euros) which is, I must say,  flawless and virtually void of any serious fringing. So prehaps there are sample variations, or the fringing could be a result of some bad repair craftsmanship, but on a FLE coming from the Wetzlar factory (as Peter Karbe intended) there is artfully tamed and very moderate not so significant purple fringing.
Inspect every sample very carefully.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Alberti said:

What are experiences with CA (purple edges) with the 35FLE/vI lens? [...]

As far as my lenses are concerned, the Summilux 35/1.4 FLE v1 (pic below @ f/1.4 on M11) has more color fringing than the Summilux 35/1.4 v2 but less so than the Summicron 35/2 asph v1. Not a real problem for me but it is a matter of taste, besides sample variation i'm not aware of.