On the fence about buying the 50 SL Summilux…..

trickness

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, malbooth said:

Do I really need to cart around almost 2 kg of camera and lens overseas for several weeks or should I just take my Q2 and be happy with that?

Precisely!  

I eventually gave up on the whole SL product for this reason.  Shame, because the SL 50mm Summilux is probably the best lens I have owned for general portrait work.  Now I just have the M10R with 50mm and 35mm (both APO lenses) plus the Q2M and Q2 Reporter.  I should say the Reporter hasn't seen much use since I bought the 35mm APO, so that's the one that might go.  Will probably wait to see what the Q3 brings . . .

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 9:21 PM, Photoworks said:

Often I go on vacation with one camera a zoom and a fast 1.4 lens for detail and low light.

I would not take the SL 50, or the summicron-SL 50. they stay home. I take a Summilux-M 50 and a 24-90mm. It is all still heavy but I am interested in taking photos and I don't feel like I am compromising .

If I go on longer trip I would wind to bring one more small camera that as back up and to take photos at night on the way to the Resturant . I can be the q2 or an M camera. the SL camera stays home.

Depends on the trip.  We’re going into Fiordland on a boat at the end of the year - great scenery, birds and whales - so I will take my SL, 24-90, R180/2.8, 2x converter, TL11-23 and 50 Noct.  

To address @malbooth’s post, I’m not so sure I understand the confusion.  The M system is good for some purposes, and the SL good for others.  

We read a lot here about what the SL is not good for, and it’s not very helpful.  It really depends on your needs.  For me, the SL is great for dodgy weather conditions, situations where I need a zoom or reach, and AF.  I don’t mind carrying it so much, and with the 24-90, it’s a great general purpose camera.  I often want a fast prime, and I loved the 50 Summilux SL, but I already had a 50 Noct, which works very well on the SL.  So the Summilux went.

Conversely, the M system has different strengths - compact, deceptively simple, all manual and fantastic to use.  It all depends on your priorities.

Not sure that image quality is one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1