On the fence about buying the 50 SL Summilux…..

trickness

19 hours ago, goldenbear said:

Congrats. I have the 50 Lux-M BC and just pulled the trigger on a well priced used 50 Summiluxi SL. Was going to sell the M, but I really feel it will serve a different purpose. Looking forward to the SL arrival. 

Please post when you get it and take some snaps!

Edited by trickness
  • Like 1

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Sohail:

Hi, its' all of it. No cropping at all. No pixels removed. Actually, I've just realised it was shot with the 75mm. Apologies to the forum

:D but still a great picture and showcase on how good the 75 is, assuming it was the 75 summicron-sl. 
I personally, meanwhile, prefer 75mm for such shots. It is for my eyes in many cases more balanced than 50 or 90mm. 

• Like 2

If you want bokeh from the Summilux, the 50mm Summicron-SL doesn't disappoint:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Annoyingly, the forum saturates the colours.

• Like 7

I love the Summilux-SL-50  for its sharpness and bokeh + AF. I got it by selling the Noctilux-M 50/0,95, which is heavy too.

• Like 7

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another example with the SL-50/1,4 showing that subtle 3D effect in this 'normal' perspective, which I like very much.

• Like 6

I just love that lens Summilux-SL 1,4-50mm

• Like 8

7 hours ago, f4nest said:

I just love that lens Summilux-SL 1,4-50mm

I presume both of your shots are taken with the SL Lux fully open. Comparing both of your shots, it shows clearly that for smaller subjects (such as your second shot), a nice bokeh is created. However the bokeh in your first shot is not quiet present. It is all due to the distance between your subject and photographer. For full body length subjects to pop out of the blur background, either a less than F1.2 or a longer focal length lens is required. Even my SL75 is not so great on creating a nice bokeh beyond half length body shots. I kept my M0.95 and APO R180 2.8 although both are manual focus. I am only sharing my personal opinion. Readers do not need to agree with me.

Yes sillbeeers 15, all 4 shots are taken with SL2, Summilux-SL-50 F1,4 fully open and I agree with all you say about the difference between subject and photographer and the blur effect. This effect and bokeh is certainly stronger with Noct-M 0,95 or R-180 2,8. Meanwhile I prefer that subtle effect, which does come out more with a higher resolution than the restricted one here in the LF. 

have a nice autumn day too, Franz

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

I presume both of your shots are taken with the SL Lux fully open. Comparing both of your shots, it shows clearly that for smaller subjects (such as your second shot), a nice bokeh is created. However the bokeh in your first shot is not quiet present. It is all due to the distance between your subject and photographer. For full body length subjects to pop out of the blur background, either a less than F1.2 or a longer focal length lens is required. Even my SL75 is not so great on creating a nice bokeh beyond half length body shots. I kept my M0.95 and APO R180 2.8 although both are manual focus. I am only sharing my personal opinion. Readers do not need to agree with me.

I think both the 35SL and the 75SL are quite capable of very nice bokeh, but you need to be fairly close to the subject if you want to blow out the backgrounds. I have plenty of shots especially with the 75 where the background is completely blown out, I just made sure to shoot wide open and get close to my subject.

8 hours ago, trickness said:

I think both the 35SL and the 75SL are quite capable of very nice bokeh, but you need to be fairly close to the subject if you want to blow out the backgrounds. I have plenty of shots especially with the 75 where the background is completely blown out, I just made sure to shoot wide open and get close to my subject.

Due to the nature of physics, the 75 makes creamer bokeh than the 35 compared to based on same subject. I found that the 75 can still make nice bokeh for half to 3 quarter body length subjects while full body length means the distance between photographer & subject increases to the point beyond nice bokeh for me on portrait shots. Therefore the Sigma 105mm f1.4 does have an attraction on me for full body length shots. However I have yet made up my mind over it as I've been seeing sample shots that were not as convincing on some. I still love my SL75.

2 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Due to the nature of physics, the 75 makes creamer bokeh than the 35 compared to based on same subject. I found that the 75 can still make nice bokeh for half to 3 quarter body length subjects while full body length means the distance between photographer & subject increases to the point beyond nice bokeh for me on portrait shots. Therefore the Sigma 105mm f1.4 does have an attraction on me for full body length shots. However I have yet made up my mind over it as I've been seeing sample shots that were not as convincing on some. I still love my SL75.

Yeah of course the 75 is going to have better bokeh. But the 35 SL is surprisingly good as well, as is the 35 Lux M 1.4.  I will post a couple of photographs tomorrow, examples wide with both for portraits.

And honestly, I for one think this obsession with bokeh is tired, and all too often covers lazy photography. If you look at all the great photographers through history, line up their work, they rarely if ever shot wide-open, and if so that was usually a very specific creative or technical reason for them doing it. 

Edited by trickness
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think I’d take some convincing that the 75 Summicron-SL has “better” bokeh than the 50 Summilux-SL.

I’ve had both, but have no images to support my opinion.  I think the word “better” provides some clues.  I think the 75 Summicron-SL is the best of the APO Summicrons, but the 50 Summilux is Leica’s reference 50.  The way the lens falls off from biting sharp to smooth bokeh is unmatched, in my view.

If I (re)invest in SL lenses, once an APO 180/2.8 Elmarit-SL arrives, I would add the 75 Summicron and the 50 Summilux, and perhaps the 28 Summicron, and the 16-35 zoom.

But I have no justification.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

I think I’d take some convincing that the 75 Summicron-SL has “better” bokeh than the 50 Summilux-SL.

I’ve had both, but have no images to support my opinion.  I think the word “better” provides some clues.  I think the 75 Summicron-SL is the best of the APO Summicrons, but the 50 Summilux is Leica’s reference 50.  The way the lens falls off from biting sharp to smooth bokeh is unmatched, in my view.

If I (re)invest in SL lenses, once an APO 180/2.8 Elmarit-SL arrives, I would add the 75 Summicron and the 50 Summilux, and perhaps the 28 Summicron, and the 16-35 zoom.

But I have no justification.

Did anyone say “better”? I think we’re all just saying that the 75 is really spectacular, not that it kills the 50 SL Lux, They are just different. The fall off of the 50 is pretty glorious from the images I’ve seen, but then again a 50 does not compress the image like a 75. It’s not really about “better”, it’s just different tools for different results…..right?

• Like 3