Leica 24-70 SL Review

pixeljohn22

In my earlier post, I said “Obviously, the build quality is much better.”  I should have said, “From the reviews I have read, the build quality seems to be better.”  I THINK if Leica had designed and built this lens from the ground up, it MIGHT have been far more expensive, maybe as EXPENSIVE or more that the 24-90.  Would the image quality have been better than the Sigma designed optical formula?  Maybe.

I have been very lucky to have been able to afford Leitz/Leica cameras and lenses over the past 50 years, but there are many out there who can only wish they could and many of those people are far better photographers than I have ever been.  Though still expensive, I applaud Leica for offering this lens at a lower price so that others who have aspired to own Leica may be able to.  

As for, “Made in Japan”, I have owned several Leica lenses in the past that were made in Japan - The 80-200 Vario Elmar R, the 35-70 Vario Elmar R, the 11-23 Vario Elmar TL, the 55-135 Vario Apo Elmar TL - and all have been very good to excellent performers.

I try very hard to be objective and neutral in my posts but I do not always succeed.  I enjoy using Leica cameras and Leica lenses and I am lucky to be a part of the Leica community.  Of course, I have mellowed with age and to quote the first line of a song written and performed by my late semi Brother in Law, Col. Bruce Hampton, “I am basically frightened of moral turpitude.”

Edited by rsh
  • Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb TeleElmar135mm:

too much money - you don't like light lenses - you d'ont like the "made in Japan" engraving - you need 90mm - you like the lens hood more???????????

I give up :)

I don’t like a lens which is sharp only in center at close distance - even with aperture 6,3

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, i-Leica said:

I had the 24-70 Sigma, then got the 24-70 Leica...... all gone and now I have 24-90 Leica :)  what does it tells you?

It tells me that I made the right choice in March when buying the 24-90 together with the SL2-S, which is my first proper stills camera. I've bought a couple of lenses in the past, but only broadcast and cine lenses. My experience with lenses is that motivation that comes with gear is a magnitude more important than specs. In that regard, the 24-90 is a winner (specs are also quite good).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

FIxed that for you

Thank you so very much and apologies for the blurry iPhone photo! 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rsh
Add a photo.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:32 PM, jaapv said:

Nor do the Pizzas look very appetizing - any Neapolitan would have a bad night after eating those.

This is exactly what I thought while browsing the pictures.

At that point, the "sign up for XYZ newsletter" popup appeared, and I left...