GFX100S vs SL2/X1D

setuporg

9 hours ago, stout_trapdoor9 said:

I don't think I have any interest in the SL2/SL2-S anymore as they are just as heavy and for the same weight have a smaller sensor. 

True that, but it applies only to camera bodies. The thing that is holding me off from getting a GFX straight away is the size of lenses. A couple of them are small, like the 65mm, but the vast majority are bigger and heavier than SL lenses, especially if compared to the new Sigmas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stout_trapdoor9 said:

Is the B&W output with Capture One good enough to make me stop thinking about getting a Leica Q2M or Leica M10M?

It depends what you want to achieve. B&W sensors work with yellow, red and orange filters well, colour sensors not so much. But to some extend you can mimic such filtering in Capture One. Below a (somewhat extreme) shot with a setup that mimics a red filter on B&W sensors, and the same shot in B&W with typical contrast adjustments.

Sl2-S 24-90, 28mm, F8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 3/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, SJH said:

I agree - here though we have a Sigma with PDAF and 61mb launched roughly at the same time as the SL2-S which also has a Sony sensor. Where I was going was that why not just do a ‘Sigma’ and therefore launch future SL’s and Q’s with PDAF which would be the icing on the cake for many around what are brilliant camera’s. Sigma could do it with someone else’s sensor for the L mount lenses so why not Leica at roughly the same time :)

Sigma's AF on the new FP L is not much better than whats out there currently for contrast based systems.  it's still in preproduction but so far the hit rate on moving subjects is worse than the Lumix S1 and S1R

8 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

True that, but it applies only to camera bodies. The thing that is holding me off from getting a GFX straight away is the size of lenses. A couple of them are small, like the 65mm, but the vast majority are bigger and heavier than SL lenses, especially if compared to the new Sigmas.

Of course they’re bigger.. MF vs FF.. bigger glass! The gf 250mm is 1400g vs Leica 90-280 1800g.. most other lenses are around 1000g or lesser.. even the Leica 24-90 is 1140g.. heavier than most gf lenses. 

on the 100s body, most of these lenses feel well balanced to me.. 

Edited by aksclix
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, aksclix said:

Of course they’re bigger.. MF vs FF.. bigger glass! The gf 250mm is 1400g vs Leica 90-280 1800g.. most other lenses are around 1000g or lesser.. even the Leica 24-90 is 1140g.. heavier than most gf lenses. 

First off, the GF250 is 200mm equivalent and a prime and not a zoom like the Leica 90-280 and similarly the 24-90 is a zoom. Not sure what the point of the skewed comparisons but they aren't really comparable. Long and short, SL lenses are heavy by 35mm standards and GF lenses are going to be heavier on average than most 35mm standards. If anyone is buying either of these systems because of "low" weight all I can do is laugh. Yeah, there are ways to make each "lightweight" on a relative  basis but come on

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

First off, the GF250 is 200mm equivalent and a prime and not a zoom like the Leica 90-280 and similarly the 24-90 is a zoom. Not sure what the point of the skewed comparisons but they aren't really comparable. Long and short, SL lenses are heavy by 35mm standards and GF lenses are going to be heavier on average than most 35mm standards. If anyone is buying either of these systems because of "low" weight all I can do is laugh. Yeah, there are ways to make each "lightweight" on a relative  basis but come on

I am aware which ones are prime and which ones aren’t.. those were the comparisons in terms of weight at max focal lengths offered.. 

I have both SL2 and GFX 100s and a variety of lenses and I intend to keep them both. 
and you can laugh all you want but people have their preferences and they are allowed to choose what fits them best.. your laughter won’t make a difference to them 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aksclix said:

I am aware which ones are prime and which ones aren’t.. those were the comparisons in terms of weight at max focal lengths offered.. 

I have both SL2 and GFX 100s and a variety of lenses and I intend to keep them both. 
and you can laugh all you want but people have their preferences and they are allowed to choose what fits them best.. your laughter won’t make a difference to them 

My laughter doesn't arise from anyone owning either one or both for that matter as in your case BUT from looking to compare based on weight. I think both systems are wonderful have owned a GFX in the past and current own an SL2 with big 24-90 and 35 APO but understand the issues about both regarding weight. Hopefully that clears it up. I am NOT laughing at you just the weight issues which both systems are encumbered by.

2 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

My laughter doesn't arise from anyone owning either one or both for that matter as in your case BUT from looking to compare based on weight. I think both systems are wonderful have owned a GFX in the past and current own an SL2 with big 24-90 and 35 APO but understand the issues about both regarding weight. Hopefully that clears it up. I am NOT laughing at you just the weight issues which both systems are encumbered by.

Cool.. thanks for the clarification.. 

The comparisons make more sense than one can imagine because if the max focal length.. and the IQ of both gf250 with 1.4x TC and leica90-280 are pretty awesome.. I own both and I can’t part with either.. but I don’t know when I would want to carry both!! When I want the flexibility I would go with 90-280 and when I want ultimate IQ with the ability to crop heavily I'llgo with gf250..

so, in my mind the 90-280 and the gf250(with TC) was a valid comparison 

For some people weight is a decision making factor but it’s negligible when we compare SL2 system vs GFX 100s.. so, I was just hinting that gfx 100s can’t be ignored quoting weight as a reason over the SL2.. but if 200-300g could be too heavy for some then so be it.. it’s their choice and it has to be.. 

I’ll be keeping both systems too. The GFX100S is surprisingly light, but feels noticeably bulkier in hand, and also packs bigger in a bag. And, of course, the SL system plays nicely with a vast array of small, fast and optically stellar M lenses allowing it to “pack down”, or at least for you to bring a selection of smaller lenses for travel. For example, I find the M 24 Summilux invaluable for travel photography. 

If the SL system seems a little large to you, the GF system is (a little) bigger again. 

The SL2 remains a magnificent camera and while it can’t quite keep pace with the 44x33 100MP sensor, it is a more versatile system in many regards. The GFX100S is, however, an amazing package and other than lacking a long lens (also missing from the SL system) could conceivably replace a traditional SLR use case, which is extraordinary for a 44x33. 

We are spoiled for choice. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, aksclix said:

Cool.. thanks for the clarification.. 

The comparisons make more sense than one can imagine because if the max focal length.. and the IQ of both gf250 with 1.4x TC and leica90-280 are pretty awesome.. I own both and I can’t part with either.. but I don’t know when I would want to carry both!! When I want the flexibility I would go with 90-280 and when I want ultimate IQ with the ability to crop heavily I'llgo with gf250..

so, in my mind the 90-280 and the gf250(with TC) was a valid comparison 

For some people weight is a decision making factor but it’s negligible when we compare SL2 system vs GFX 100s.. so, I was just hinting that gfx 100s can’t be ignored quoting weight as a reason over the SL2.. but if 200-300g could be too heavy for some then so be it.. it’s their choice and it has to be.. 

Couldn't agree more. I am actually toying with getting the 90-280 for my backcountry shoots of wildlife but not sure I have the strength anymore. In my younger days I carried a "lightweight" Canon 400 F4 DO lens that literally was a monster. Having recently taking delivery of the SL35 APO I have to say, I am in love with the SL2 combo but I get the love for the Fuji as I was once the beneficiary of their amazing GF series. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

Couldn't agree more. I am actually toying with getting the 90-280 for my backcountry shoots of wildlife but not sure I have the strength anymore. In my younger days I carried a "lightweight" Canon 400 F4 DO lens that literally was a monster. Having recently taking delivery of the SL35 APO I have to say, I am in love with the SL2 combo but I get the love for the Fuji as I was once the beneficiary of their amazing GF series. 

Yea, I am not young either.. am 41!!
the 90-280 is pretty heavy and It’s my only complaint for that lens. 
i also bought a canon 400mm f4 DO when I first got the SL2 but sold it when I got the 90-280.. none of these choices being debated are inferior in any aspect. SL2 and GFX both are pro gear with jaw dropping IQ 

• Like 1

I first bought in to the M system because of its relative compactness (and because much of the time I shoot still landscapes).

However, I found the Sl gave me better results  -- the rangefinder + glasses is a bit of a lottery for me -- and, with the 24-90mm, the weight differences were not so great.   I haven't seen any pictures from the GFX system that make me think I'd be taking a step up significant enough to warrant the extra lens weight / bulk, although it might be just that I haven't printed big enough.

Just now, jrp said:

I first bought in to the M system because of its relative compactness (and because much of the time I shoot still landscapes).

However, I found the Sl gave me better results  -- the rangefinder + glasses is a bit of a lottery for me -- and, with the 24-90mm, the weight differences were not so great.   I haven't seen any pictures from the GFX system that make me think I'd be taking a step up significant enough to warrant the extra lens weight / bulk, although it might be just that I haven't printed big enough.

I traded in my GFX system to Adorama and was surprised to get such a great price plus they gave me a nice discount on a Q2 and SL2/24-90. COVID hit and I haven't been shooting as much as I like but that has all changed over the last few months and I now also have a 35 SL APO. I am literally blown away by the system. Truly love it. Having owned many systems in the past including my last M (M9) I have never enjoyed photography as much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, aksclix said:

Yea, I am not young either.. am 41!!
the 90-280 is pretty heavy and It’s my only complaint for that lens. 
i also bought a canon 400mm f4 DO when I first got the SL2 but sold it when I got the 90-280.. none of these choices being debated are inferior in any aspect. SL2 and GFX both are pro gear with jaw dropping IQ 

Turning 68 in a couple of weeks workout like a maniac BUT still find it hard to schlep these huge lenses. However where this a will there is a way. 

Just now, Priaptor said:

Turning 68 in a couple of weeks workout like a maniac BUT still find it hard to schlep these huge lenses. However where this a will there is a way. 

lol.. sorry! didn't mean to rub it in revealing my age :D I have a weak wrist from an accident 15 years ago.. and I am not sure I will be able to do this at 68 

2 hours ago, aksclix said:

Err... They could be balanced, but not everybody is willing to carry x kgs all day. The Leica zooms are a big no no for me for this reason. Most Fuji lenses are too heavy for hiking or carry around all day. On the other hand

Sigma 24mm: 225g

Sigma 35mm F2: 325g

Sigma 65mm: 400g

Panasonic 85mm: 355g

Laowa 15mm F2: 500g

There are other lenses in L mount, not just the Leica monsters.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, aksclix said:

lol.. sorry! didn't mean to rub it in revealing my age :D I have a weak wrist from an accident 15 years ago.. and I am not sure I will be able to do this at 68 

Yes and my workout regimen and prior competition led me to a hip a replacement two years ago. I put it off for 4 years. I really discovered the meaning of pain and endurance carrying around those long primes with a destroyed hip in the back areas of Montana. Hoping for easier times ahead. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Simone_DF said:

Err... They could be balanced, but not everybody is willing to carry x kgs all day. The Leica zooms are a big no no for me for this reason. Most Fuji lenses are too heavy for hiking or carry around all day. On the other hand

Sigma 24mm: 225g

Sigma 35mm F2: 325g

Sigma 65mm: 400g

Panasonic 85mm: 355g

Laowa 15mm F2: 500g

There are other lenses in L mount, not just the Leica monsters.

makes sense!! 

the laowa 15mm is a bloody awesome lens!! I have it in Sony E mount but because the SL2 lacks a tilt screen I have not got it for the L mount.. I love this lens a lot

1 hour ago, Priaptor said:

Canon 400 F4 DO lens that literally was a monster. 

20 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

I am literally blown away by the system. 

Misuse of the word literally drives me figuratively insane.

That aside, the SL 90-280 feels surprisingly balanced and easy to hold on my SL2.

Jeff

• Like 1