GFX100S vs SL2/X1D

setuporg

4 hours ago, setuporg said:

X1Dii and 907x do not get hot in my use.

I don't have issues either. It does get warm but not hot. And it's supposed to. People mention it as a flaw when it's deliberate. The body was designed as a heat sync to disperse heat from the sensor. And it works if the long exposures are anything to go by.

Gordon

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Succisa75 said:

Still one of the best designed cameras in the last 10 years. Unfortunately lack of IBIS now, gets very hot, less than stellar battery life, max 2000 on the mechanical shutter and slow AF still holds it back performance wise, but in regards to design it’s brilliant. 

Almost none of these are relevant to how I shoot the X1D. I think of it as more of a scalpel than swiss army knife. It doesn't pretend to be an all rounder. What it does well it does brilliantly. In some ways it's still class leading by some margin and if you like the things it does well not even the GFX100S betters it. For example, nothing is close when it comes to long exposure implementation. Or the menus.

IBIS is great but the leaf shutters and body design do allow hand holding at pretty ridiculous speeds. Probably a couple of stops better than the GFX with the IBIS turned off. I regularly handhold at 1/F and lower with no issues but I have excellent handholding technique. 30 years of practice and all that......

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2021 at 3:18 AM, meerec said:

Totally agree: I use 907X + XCD 45p, without the grip and often without the OVF for street shooting. It is sooooo small, light, and cute. 

I would imagine, though, that shooting in portrait orientation would be extremely awkward, especially without the grip. Or am I missing something? Of course this was not an issue with the old 6x6 film backs.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, setuporg said:

But I guess you can assume 44x33 is almost a square.:)

Ah, not close for me, compositionally. This would require even more of a crop than 4x5 (8x10), which lends its own important proportions, and even 4x5 is a much different beast than square for me.  But we each see and adapt to viewing/framing systems differently.

Jeff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I would imagine, though, that shooting in portrait orientation would be extremely awkward, especially without the grip. Or am I missing something? Of course this was not an issue with the old 6x6 film backs.

Jeff

This is one of the things that has made me pause on a 907. But I suspect I might just set the crop to 1:1 and shoot from the hip. It seems like a camera that would suit shooting square.

Gordon

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

This is one of the things that has made me pause on a 907. But I suspect I might just set the crop to 1:1 and shoot from the hip. It seems like a camera that would suit shooting square.

Gordon

Probably so, but square is not my framing preference or style.  I’d rather dictate than have the camera do so, or have to regularly crop in post.  But I can understand others feeling very comfortable with the approach.  That said, the camera probably would be fun to use, and might yield pics that I wouldn’t normally get due to viewing angle (using flip up screen) and size/discretion. Not a good price/value relationship for me though; too much of a niche. The X1D series viewing and ergonomics have more general appeal for me, with the same sensor.

Jeff 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Almost none of these are relevant to how I shoot the X1D. I think of it as more of a scalpel than swiss army knife. It doesn't pretend to be an all rounder. What it does well it does brilliantly. In some ways it's still class leading by some margin and if you like the things it does well not even the GFX100S betters it. For example, nothing is close when it comes to long exposure implementation. Or the menus.

IBIS is great but the leaf shutters and body design do allow hand holding at pretty ridiculous speeds. Probably a couple of stops better than the GFX with the IBIS turned off. I regularly handhold at 1/F and lower with no issues but I have excellent handholding technique. 30 years of practice and all that......

Gordon

I do agree on the Menu system. One of the best if not the best of all camera companies but disagree on the leaf shutter and how it equates to shutter shock. The 45P is the best in terms of dampening this in my opinion but other XCD lenses aren’t as good. The X1D would benefit more from IBIS with this vs the GFX system in my personal opinion. I’m decent with handholding at lower shutter speeds but even I experience this shutter shock issue with images that aren’t always tact sharp. 

for colors I prefer the X1D except when shooting red. It has a hard time handling the color. Odd since everything else it handles beautifully 

32 minutes ago, horosu said:

Just a question from a Leica guy considering the X1DII+ 45P:  manual focusing this lens is actually doable? I read a lot about the slow AF and as a Leica M shooter I prefer MF anyway....

I shoot 907X+45p and manual focussing is a wonderful experience. I use manual focus for anything critical with all my XCD lenses. My friend shoots X1D II+45p and manual focus experience is the same. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meerec said:

I shoot 907X+45p and manual focussing is a wonderful experience. I use manual focus for anything critical with all my XCD lenses. My friend shoots X1D II+45p and manual focus experience is the same. 

But if you’re coming from a Leica M you’ll be disappointed. Everyone is different, but I’m yet to use a fly by wire lens for manual focussing that I truly enjoy. 

4 hours ago, Alistairm said:

But if you’re coming from a Leica M you’ll be disappointed. Everyone is different, but I’m yet to use a fly by wire lens for manual focussing that I truly enjoy. 

I was thinking about it today when manually focussing the XCD 80, which is definitely typical by-wire focus. I didn’t mind it at all. But everyone is different. Focussing M or even CL with M lenses is very different, I totally agree. I do all of it and never get upset.

Edited by meerec

22 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

Not at all awkward in portrait orientation. 
If you shoot with the grip, it is very simple, just flip 90° to the left with the grip on top — a very comfortable shooting, with the LCD screen closed flat. If you shoot without the grip, the 907X is a regular cube so it doesn’t matter how you hold it, whether in landscape mode or in portrait mode. The only difference is the location of the shutter button — if you change to portrait orientation, the shutter button is under your index finger on top right at the front, rather than bottom right. 

17 hours ago, Jeff S said:

That said, the camera probably would be fun to use, and might yield pics that I wouldn’t normally get due to viewing angle (using flip up screen) and size/discretion. Not a good price/value relationship for me though; too much of a niche.

It’s a different camera body. Much like different Hasselblad V system was. It’s part of the attraction to me. I still shoot with the SL2, M, CL ... 907X is very special for me.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, meerec said:

Not at all awkward in portrait orientation. 
If you shoot with the grip, it is very simple, just flip 90° to the left with the grip on top — a very comfortable shooting, with the LCD screen closed flat. If you shoot without the grip, the 907X is a regular cube so it doesn’t matter how you hold it, whether in landscape mode or in portrait mode. The only difference is the location of the shutter button — if you change to portrait orientation, the shutter button is under your index finger on top right at the front, rather than bottom right. 

I watched a video review and the reviewer found it very awkward without grip. As usual, opinions vary on camera handling and ergonomics. How does viewing work in portrait orientation without the OVF?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I have always been interested in the 907x.. I worry I'll have neck issues from long periods of shooting.. I do not like the OVF attachment as I think it ruins the awesome look of the 907x.. 

I will trade-in my x1d for a 907x when I am ready someday.. :) 

let’s don’t pretend it is not a serous design flaw for camera wasn’t 1X1 format. It is obviously a look over function decision. If not this, I would have bought it for using V system. 

Edited by ZHNL