Tell me about the 35 Lux AA ?

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh, and when I say "all my cameras", I mean ALL of them 🤪

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

No time for many photos yet, but my first impression of the lens is great. 

Ergonomically, it's smaller and thinner than the FLE (or the pre fle), so it's similar to the new APO. The aperture ring has the nicest click of any lens I've ever tried, and is much more preferable from the one of the APO wich is too soft and moves alone. The focus tab, unlike my pre fle, is very resistant. A little like the one of the 28 lux. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but it's better for precise focusing in video. 

In terms of the image quality, it's still too soon to tell for me. But so far it's everything that it was described to be. It is quite a lot sharper than my pre fle in the center. Not APO sharp, but at least FLE sharp or more. The edge of the frame and the bokeh has this beautiful mandlerish look to it, which I love a lot. The colours are extremely natural. But more importantly, there is something that I can't really explain about it. At close range, people really seem to pop. 

I'll be using it a lot this week and try to get more feedback and photos. Everything I will post will be SOOC, unless I state otherwise. 

• Like 10

On this non interesting detail shot of a bike, i enjoy a lot the depth that this lens seems to create effortlessly. More to come... 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Steven said:

His theory is not correct, because you can see (without the hassle of zooming in) the white Leica engraving on top of the camera. Proof that it is in fact an M10P, with an added red dot. 

I get the extra red dots from the Leica repair center (they have plenty cause they need to replace them every time they adjust the RF). I like the color red, I like the look of the dot, and I put it on all my cameras, for the sake of homogeneity when they are all lined up on my shelfs at night ! I know some of my haters will hate, but why should I care, if I'm happy ! 

I was anti red dot for a while but have converted with the M10R. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 2

• Like 1

It flares a bit more than my other 35 Summilux aspherical lenses 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steven said:

Everything I will post will be SOOC, unless I state otherwise.

By default, when Lightroom (Classic) imports 35 AA files it applies the 35 FLE lens corrections, which flattens the left/right edges.  I prefer the AA images without any corrections at all. Uncheck 'Enable Profile Corrections' under 'Lens Corrections'.

Not the ideal testing conditions. Out with the wife, three kids, two buggies, one dog, under the bright sun with no ND filter and almost everything was overexposed, but I'm starting to see a little more what this lens looks like. 

It looks quite perfect. Not perfect in the APO sense of the word, but perfect as in it delivers anything one might wants. I couldn't see the difference with the pre FLE on day 1. On day 2, I see it clearly. The AA is much sharper. In the center, I feel that its even sharper than the FLE. And yet, it's not what some call boring or transparent. It still has the Leica DNA. It has slight glow around highlight, but very subtle. It has an incredible 3D effect especially at close range. And it has a bokeh with character. 

As many people say, it seems to have that ethereal rendering to it. It's really hard to put it into words. It's more of a feeling. But for lack of better words, I'll attempt to say that the image it produces is.... thinner than the other 35? Is that a word ? It's kind of crystal clear, without losing character. No imperfection, yet still a lot of soul. Sure, I know what you're thinking... My subconscious making up excuses for spending money on it. 

In the description of the seller, it said something like "whoever tried the AA never wanted to go back to any other 35 lens". Well, I can tell you already that this is not just marketing. 

Much more testing to do to make my mind. 

6 minutes ago, ELAN said:

By default, when Lightroom (Classic) imports 35 AA files it applies the 35 FLE lens corrections, which flattens the left/right edges.  I prefer the AA images without any corrections at all. Uncheck 'Enable Profile Corrections' under 'Lens Corrections'.

Thank you. Just checked and it has no impact on my photos. Maybe because I didn't set a lens profile the M10P's menu ? 

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

Thank you. Just checked and it has no impact on my photos. Maybe because I didn't set a lens profile the M10P's menu ? 

The metadata of the photos you posted does show a 35 Summilux as the lens profile.  Check again, disabling lens corrections does have a subtle effect on the edge.  At close focusing distance (like your last photo) it will also give the subject more of a 3D effect. 

Edited by ELAN

13 minutes ago, Steven said:

Not the ideal testing conditions. Out with the wife, three kids, two buggies, one dog, under the bright sun with no ND filter and almost everything was overexposed, but I'm starting to see a little more what this lens looks like. 

It looks quite perfect. Not perfect in the APO sense of the word, but perfect as in it delivers anything one might wants. I couldn't see the difference with the pre FLE on day 1. On day 2, I see it clearly. The AA is much sharper. In the center, I feel that its even sharper than the FLE. And yet, it's not what some call boring or transparent. It still has the Leica DNA. It has slight glow around highlight, but very subtle. It has an incredible 3D effect especially at close range. And it has a bokeh with character. 

As many people say, it seems to have that ethereal rendering to it. It's really hard to put it into words. It's more of a feeling. But for lack of better words, I'll attempt to say that the image it produces is.... thinner than the other 35? Is that a word ? It's kind of crystal clear, without losing character. No imperfection, yet still a lot of soul. Sure, I know what you're thinking... My subconscious making up excuses for spending money on it. 

In the description of the seller, it said something like "whoever tried the AA never wanted to go back to any other 35 lens". Well, I can tell you already that this is not just marketing. 

Much more testing to do to make my mind. 

Yes give it time. When I bought mine new in 1991 I had been shooting pretty exclusively with a V2 Summicron so this lens far surpassed my expectations, but then over the years as I purchased additional lens I still found I preferred this AA the most. Then when I bought the new FLE when it was launched I only kept it for a year or so as it was never as sharp on center, the transition from in focus to out is more interesting on the AA, and then the out of focus rendering for certain I preferred on the AA as it is more artistic and has a bit more character, yet without the aberrations and the jarring the FLE shows in its out of focus area. Some of the differences are subtle but then you will take a shot and the differences really show themselves and all for the good. Lovely family by the way, endless potential photographs. 

41 minutes ago, ELAN said:

The metadata of the photos you posted does show a 35 Summilux as the lens profile.  Check again, disabling lens corrections does have a subtle effect on the edge.  At close focusing distance (like your last photo) it will also give the subject more of a 3D effect. 

Tried again, no luck. No difference with on and off 🤔 maybe a different version of LR