Question about focusing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks.  I think I could use a bit of help from some folks smarter than I am about the Q3 (which is probably everyone who owns one.  😏)  I find my three-day-old Q3 will not auto-focus using any mode or any method.  Manual focusing appears to work fine and focus peaking (red outline of area in focus) seems to be excellent.  However, auto-focusing does not seem to work in any mode.  No green "in focus" indication is ever seen and focus works manually only.  I also cannot move the intended point of focus by touching the touch screen.  I reset to factory defaults and tried again before coming to this conclusion.   I also reviewed an excellent youtube video which I found very helpful.

So ... is there a secret here?  I thought I might solicit the advice of other owners before sending it back.  (My first Leica -- what a huge disappointment.)

Rick

Posted (edited)

Are you sure that the focus ring is all the way around the lens barrel to the AF position. You need to make sure you press the tiny button on the focus lever to get it to go from MF to AF mode? Once it's properly locked in AF mode you shouldn't be able to rotate the focus ring until you press the tiny button again.

What does the focus indicator on the top left of the LCD show? Is it "AFs" or MF?

Edited by Corius
typo
  • Like 3