Tell me about the 35 Lux AA ?

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Steven said:

Beautiful lens. Cant find it for sale anywhere. 

I respectfully disagree though. I think the 28 1.4 Silver anodised made in 300 copies will be worth a lot one day. Prices are already going up. Its a superb lens and I believe it has everything to become a big part of the Leica history. 

My sense is that the Silver Chrome lenses will become collectible before the Sliver Anodized versions of the same lens. I know the silver 28/1.4 is only produced in anodized aluminum.

very little heritage there whereas if you look at silver LHSA lenses for example they are silver chrome. things to think about as you consider investment potential of Leica lenses.

Anyway this is all moot as all Leica lenses go up in value with time.

2 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

My sense is that the Silver Chrome lenses will become collectible before the Sliver Anodized versions of the same lens. I know the silver 28/1.4 is only produced in anodized aluminum.

very little heritage there whereas if you look at silver LHSA lenses for example they are silver chrome. things to think about as you consider investment potential of Leica lenses.

Anyway this is all moot as all Leica lenses go up in value with time.

Do you know of any for sale anywhere right now ? you got me curios ! 

22 minutes ago, Steven said:

...My questions is, beyond the difference in filter thread and the amount of copies produced, is there anything else with the Steel rim that justifies that it costs 4x more?...

JMHO, but I would take that stack of cash and buy a 28mm Summilux, a 35mm Summilux and a 50mm Summilux or 50 Summicton APO instead - all in plain old "ugly" black...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

No need to get worked up mate. Im not asking the same question. I understood that the rarity of a lens makes it more expensive besides its optical quality. I understand the laws of supply and demand. 

My questions is, beyond the difference in filter thread and the amount of copies produced, is there anything else with the Steel rim that justifies that it costs 4x more? If you still don't understand my questions, will I get the same image quality + character + flaws with the v 1 and v2 or will there be a difference. 

You don't have to answer to me if you don't want. Im sure someone will ! 

It's hard not to feel at least some sympathy for @willeica! I posted an answer earlier on in this thread  (post # 17 ).Here's a summary of what my view of the situation is.

By all accounts, there is no difference in image quality between the steel rim and other variants. If anything, the steel rim may be marginally worse image-wise. In optical terms, the steel rim is identical to the v2 up until around serial number 2166702, when 3 of the glass elements were replaced by more modern and exotic Lanthanum glass.

Next to the steel rim in terms of rarity is the v2 infinity lock version of the lens. It's impossible to tell the serial number range for this model but I have one with serial number 222xxxx, giving it both infinity lock and Lanthanum glass.

Hope this helps.

Ernst

Edited by Ernstk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, Ernstk said:

It's hard not to feel at least some sympathy for @willeica! I posted an answer earlier on in this thread  (post # 17 ).Here's a summary of what my view of the situation is.

By all accounts, there is no difference in image quality between the steel rim and other variants. If anything, the steel rim may be marginally worse image-wise. In optical terms, the steel rim is identical to the v2 up until around serial number 2166702, when 3 of the glass elements were replaced by more modern and exotic Lanthanum glass.

Next to the steel rim in terms of rarity is the v2 infinity lock version of the lens. It's impossible to tell the serial number range for this model but I have one with serial number 222xxxx, giving it both infinity lock and Lanthanum glass.

Hope this helps.

Ernst

I am sorry if I annoyed anyone by asking several times the same question, this topic has been confusing to me and I am just starting to understand which Lens is which and see things more clear. 
In any case, thank you for this valuable information.

The v2 I’m looking at right now is serial 319xxxxxx, so I suppose it’s the one with the Lanthanuam glass. 

ill continue my search for a compact, older, and valuable 35mm lens to go along my 35 Lux pre fle. 

at this point my options are a pre asph lux, or a silver KOB. 

1 minute ago, Steven said:

I am sorry if I annoyed anyone by asking several times the same question, this topic has been confusing to me and I am just starting to understand which Lens is which and see things more clear. 
In any case, thank you for this valuable information.

The v2 I’m looking at right now is serial 319xxxxxx, so I suppose it’s the one with the Lanthanuam glass. 

ill continue my search for a compact, older, and valuable 35mm lens to go along my 35 Lux pre fle. 

at this point my options are a pre asph lux, or a silver KOB. 

I'm not annoyed, I'd just like you to have the info that you need to help you make a decision.

The model you're looking at will definitely have Lanthanum glass and it's also likely to have improved coatings. Just out of interest, does it have an infinity lock?

Ernst

3 minutes ago, Ernstk said:

I'm not annoyed, I'd just like you to have the info that you need to help you make a decision.

The model you're looking at will definitely have Lanthanum glass and it's also likely to have improved coatings. Just out of interest, does it have an infinity lock?

Ernst

I don’t suppose ? 

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/133626872660

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

I don’t suppose ? 

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/133626872660

Crazy price! And it has the standard plastic focus tab.

The infinity lock is the little lip on the bottom of the focus tab, which is metal on the v2 models with the lock.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just now, Ernstk said:

Crazy price! And it has the standard plastic focus tab.

The infinity lock is the little lip on the bottom of the focus tab, which is metal on the v2 models with the lock.

Got it, thanks. 
crazy (bad) price I suppose ? 

4 hours ago, Steven said:

You might find this helpful https://jacktaka.com/leica-35mm-f14-summilux-fle

Be aware that older lens (the number you mention is around 1982) were designed for film cameras and are likely to show significant focus shift on digital. Not a killer, but be prepared.

48 minutes ago, pedaes said:

You might find this helpful https://jacktaka.com/leica-35mm-f14-summilux-fle

Be aware that older lens (the number you mention is around 1982) were designed for film cameras and are likely to show significant focus shift on digital. Not a killer, but be prepared.

Very nice read, but I already have (almost) that lens, and I was looking for a pancake alternative...

Just to add another price variable: everything else being equal, a 35/1.4 v2 "Made in Germany" will fetch higher prices than one "Made in Canada". No detectable real-life optical differences (I had both at some point), just the relative rarity factor.

9 hours ago, Ecar said:

Just to add another price variable: everything else being equal, a 35/1.4 v2 "Made in Germany" will fetch higher prices than one "Made in Canada". No detectable real-life optical differences (I had both at some point), just the relative rarity factor.

In the case of the KOB, I've heard that there's more than rarity when it comes to the Canadian version against the German one. The Canada made is said to use plastics parts that are more prone to break and therefore the German copies are more durable and more expensive. I'm actually watching a nice silver German copy on eBay right now, but hesitating to buy it because I usually always favour an F1.4 lens over F2. 

Not sure how this might apply to a summilux v1 v2

Here’s a nice copy...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Steven said:

In the case of the KOB, I've heard that there's more than rarity when it comes to the Canadian version against the German one. The Canada made is said to use plastics parts that are more prone to break and therefore the German copies are more durable and more expensive. I'm actually watching a nice silver German copy on eBay right now, but hesitating to buy it because I usually always favour an F1.4 lens over F2. 

Not sure how this might apply to a summilux v1 v2

AFAIK:

- You are correct regarding the Summicron 35/2 v4 (although I'm not sure how significant the risk of mechanical damage is with a Canadian copy, probably pretty low)

- The Summilux 35/1.4 v1 was only made in Canada

- No difference (other than, perhaps, coatings) between the Canadian and the German 35/1.4 v2

Edited by Ecar