Should I upgrade to SL or M10?

calidre

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently have an MP (240) and a 35 summilux.  I was at the leica store today and the employee mentioned when I decide to upgrade my camera I should look at the M10 or SL.  He then said the SL was probably best because of cost and proceeded to show me a sample of the SL with 35 lux (with adapter) The focusing was great to me but did feel bulky. 

My question is - If I'm really just going to use it with my M lens does it make sense to go SL route?  I know it would be alot cheaper; but not sure on performance difference etc.

Apologies if this was asked previously in another post and thank you for any response.

• Like 1

I have a M10 and SL2. Using the 50 Lux 1.4 with the adapters is such a wonderful experience. Just because of the large and clear EVF of SL. My M10 is getting less and less usage time.

I am almost 50 and I do appreciate the EVF of SL/SL2 than a rangefinder. Especially taking photos of my 6 years old.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Calidre,   I use the M and S systems for my business.  I previously used the SL system but my clients didn't like the rendering.  Everyone has different ideas and opinions on that subject and will leave that alone.  Yes, the SL and M lenses do work in a most excellent manner as you will read in a number of threads in the forum.  My experience though, demonstrated the M lenses work best on M cameras and are designed to do so.  The SL works best with SL lenses.  I found the larger M lenses like the Noctilux and others were easier to focus at times with the SL, but performance was best with M cameras.  It will get down to your preference of handling and rendering by the sensor.  Everyone on the forum will offer different and well intentioned opinions.  My 2 cents...if you are upgrading a M240...get a M10-R.  Then get out and create superb photographs with your 35 Summilux.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 3

Hi Calidre,

You have the same problem as me. I am currently taking photos with the SL 2 and M lenses. With the incredibly good viewfinder it is also a lot of fun, but the SL 2 is already heavy and bulky. I used to take photos with the M9 and M 240 for years and miss the manual viewfinder. Of course, the M viewfinder is more difficult to work with, but it's also a lot of fun. The feel of the M is just completely different. I'm still making a decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a used SL earlier this year which became my colour camera in place of my M240. It was a breath of fresh air - new-to-me sensor with slightly better performance, focusing via a fantastic EVF, an option to use L-mount lenses, good M lens compatibility, updated menus, touch screen interface, clean body with intuitive button layout. 

After going through a number of L-mount lenses, I still felt M lenses were for me and so I only used M glass on the SL. Eventually I wanted something smaller because there were days I wouldn't bring my camera out due to the bulk (it's not heavy as it is and just a fair bit larger than an M all round, but the larger size and weight does add up). So I moved to a Sigma FP for my colour photos. Nice camera, but with no Leica profiles and exif it wasn't the most ideal solution so I sold it for a used SL2. After the FP experience I was glad to have familiar menus and but after the first month the novelty factor of the high res sensor and IBIS wore off and I eventually sold that camera off too because the same issues I had with the SL arose albeit the SL2 has a much nicer grip than the SL does which helps a little.

I ended up with an M10-D. I figured after all this, a Leica camera is the best plug-and-play solution for M glass and I enjoy rangefinder shooting the best, along with the form factor and the general shooting experience (dial layout etc). Long story short, the SL is no substitute to a rangefinder. It is a very capable camera but if you want a similar shooting experience to the MP-240, the M is the way to go.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We read it in other threads that M-Lenses perform grear on the SL. When @LeicaR10 writes that clients did not like the rendering then this depends on how you process your photographs and what profiles you apply. Its mostly up to you.

Just another thought: Imagine you really bought the SL and could at a later stage add a Zoom-SL-Lens for your SL. 

It depends a lot on your use case.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, calidre said:

I currently have an MP (240) and a 35 summilux.  I was at the leica store today and the employee mentioned when I decide to upgrade my camera I should look at the M10 or SL.  He then said the SL was probably best because of cost and proceeded to show me a sample of the SL with 35 lux (with adapter) The focusing was great to me but did feel bulky. 

My question is - If I'm really just going to use it with my M lens does it make sense to go SL route?  I know it would be alot cheaper; but not sure on performance difference etc.

Apologies if this was asked previously in another post and thank you for any response.

No. I have the SL and every time I go on a trip I bump onto that threshold of weight and bulk. So if your choice is: M10 or SL,  you do have only M lenses, you’re not going to be a wedding photographer and/or you don’t want to evolve in the autofocus direction there is no argument for an SL. You already own the M240 so you also know whether you use a Visoflex2 and how that works for you with possible non-M lenses or not.

Let me remind too that the rangefinder of the M10 is a noticeable level higher than the one in M240 and before. I found with the Summilux75 and APO Summicron90 that focusing (without Visoflex) was 10:10 right, with my M9 this is about 7:10.

Of course if you want to see through the lens, that’s another thing, but there are other possibilities on the market for that. From M240 to SL is perhaps less an upgrade and more a complete turn off the rangefinder. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Thanks 1

Hardly an upgrade. More of a sideways movement.

Don't get me wrong. I have an M10 and SL/SL2. I also have my M-P (240). I like new toys and have most of them. There's no miracles here. I would suggest that the salesman is doing his job by planting the upgrade seed in your head.

With the M10 you gain a *slightly* better RF, quieter shutter (M10P), more resolution (M10R) and a smaller form factor (again slight). But you give up battery life, video (did you ever use it??) and money. Some of you accessories (grips, baseplates, EVF) won't work on the new model.

For the SL it's really only better if your eyesight is going and you need the EVF or you want to move to AF. Or more resolution in the SL2.

Seems like unless you have complaints that you're not really upgrading at all.

Gordon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have used a lot of cameras over the years.  I now use Nikon's for work with my Leica.

Somewhere in this forum others have talked about the idea that there is a perfect fit for some people when it comes to your favorite camera.

For street photography the M-9 was the best thing that ever happened to me.
Followed by a 240MP, for a short time.

In March of this year I decided the SL2 was what I needed--can't remember exactly why now.
It is a nice camera, but until I actually walked the streets (Washington, DC) I didn't realize why I am a Leica M person.
The slightly heavier SL2 was too heavy.  The electronics were diversions to me.
The bulk wasn't subtle, especially with an SL lens (I tried to get back to normal with my Summilux--helped a little).
A lot of things on the camera I don't use or need.

So, at a loss, I sold the barely used SL2 to B&H for about half price in September.
Maybe 500 images.  Not many, but enough to conclude that this wasn't my camera.

I then bought the Leica M-10R and it is absolutely heaven for what I do with a camera.

So after all these years I have come to the same conclusion as some others - it isn't a question of the best camera.
Not even the best camera for a particular type of use or work.

It is the best camera for you.  Your photography personality.  And when you fall in love, you know it.

I won't actually need another camera the rest of my life.  I doubt there will be a new M that improves on the 10R, for me anyway.

And the Nikon's still work fine on more mundane work projects.

Jim

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tools. According to my Lightroom catalog these are the most common combos I use to make photographs. They both have Leica 24MP sensors but they are very different tools.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TealWayFilms said:

Tools. According to my Lightroom catalog these are the most common combos I use to make photographs. They both have Leica 24MP sensors but they are very different tools.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

David and Goliath 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't own M10 but I oen M-E 220 (M9) and SL.

After I bought the SL in 2020 I was surprised by the bulk - size and weight comparing to my beloved M-E. At the time my idea was to get a camera with better ISO performance and AF. 

Honestly: SL was sitting there for few months without being touched. Then I bought M to L adapter and tried Summilux 50 ASPH on it. At the beginning I was very slow to focus properly but somehow camera grow on me. Now I think the SL is the best tool for tele M lenses. Hit rate with my beloed Summilux is almost 100%. 

Conclusion: SL is very capable camera with perfect EVF and IMHO best match for shots @1.4 with any fast tele M lens. Yes it is bulky, but managable. 

• Like 1