should I trade in my m10-r bp for a m10-m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know this question would probably get different responses from different forums. But I am going to ask again.

Background, I have a M11, and M10-R. Recently I developed itches for monochrome and found a really good condition m10-m

The trade-in value of m10-r would be at least same as m10-m, or maybe even a bit higher.

Should I do it, or I better off just keep it m10-r and shoot in mono mode and pretend I have a mono?

I am not in the bp thing, but I guess it is worth to hold on a bp leica. A regular r might be an ok trade. If you are dedicated to b/w. Since you have two cameras, one could be a monochrom. Personally, I prefer to have same series due to haptics, so, leaving the bp as is, I would consider trading the m11 for a m10m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would also trade the M11 and keep the M10-R.

Being a current production model, the M11 would be far more easily replaced if you decided the M10M wasn’t for you.  The M10-R is going to be much harder to replace if you decided you wanted one back. 

• Like 1

Here is the dilemma.

In terms of handling, picture quality, I prefer m11 to m10-r. The only thing I prefer m10-r to m11 is the shutter sound. I know lots of people disagree with me, but this is the not the point. The point is I enjoy shooting M11 more than M10-R.

However, as you have noted, m10-r is a BP version. I bought it second hand in very good condition and for a good price. One year later now if I sell it I still can make some profit, and deeds can well cover a used m10-m.

Black paint version is kind of hard to acquire now these days. If the M10-R were a regular black chrome, I wouldn't have even asked this question. I would just traded it off.

The Black Paint fetish is the major psychological hurdle for me to let go the M10-R

I think if you trade the M10RBP for the M10M, you will ultimately regret it. M10M's are not hard to find, and prices will continue to slide over time. Replacing a good BP will be harder.

The better options are either (as others suggest) to trade the M11 for the M10M and have two M10 series cameras. Or else trade the BP for an M11M - to have the benefits of two M11 series cameras.

I had the M10BP for a while, but sold it when realised I hardly used it. I now have two M11's which I much prefer from a functional perspective. In terms of any regrets, I now find there are some days when I don't even think about the M10RBP. And as long as I stay away from the M10 forum, I can get through most of the other days.

If you don't use it, lose it, and trade for something you will. Do you really need two color M's, say one for backup? M's make very expensive backups if not actually used or needed (mine is an M9 when the M10-R goes off on New Jersey holiday). Though I personally would prefer to have either M10-R and M10M (as I do) or M11 and M11M due to battery share, similar menu's etc. but an M11 and M10M would be a fine combo if you're not concerned about those things. 

I personally don't care about the black paint finish. I buy cameras to make photos with, period. 

I bought a new M10 Monochrom in 2022. It impresses me (still does) so much, I sold my trusty CL and a few other things and hunted up a very nice used M10-R to have a color camera with the same resolution. This pair, along with my evergreen M4-2, are exactly what I want in 35mm class cameras. 

What you should do .. I am not sure. I've only just seen the M11 a couple of times, haven't even had a chance to handle one; basically uninterested. I don't need anything more in this type of camera. And if I were to sell either of them, the M10-R would go. 

G

I've never liked the black chrome. I wish the M10 / M11 monochrom cameras were offered with black paint on brass. 

I've had both the M10-R and the M10M, and out of the two I preferred the M10M for black and white. When I replaced the M10-R with the M11, I actually didn't use the M10M anymore because the black and white conversions of the M11 were good enough and the quality of life improvements, for the way I was using it, made the M11 my preferred camera.
I only mention this because the M11 Black Paint edition is rumoured to be coming soon and even though it would likely blow the budget it might be the best of both worlds.

The M10M is the same as the M10-r in terms of basic sensor, but the monochrom version.  Yet, the M11 has one of the best color sensors out there right now, especially in the Leica scudra (same as the SL-3).  I had the M10M from the first month it was released until about 3 months ago when I got an M11M.  

If you want the best flexibility and dynamic range, the M11 you have, coupled with the monochrom version of the M10-R is perfect - that is if you want a monochrom.  I loved mine well and will do the same with the M11M.

IMO.

There are lots of variables here, each outlined above. Summarizing, and likely losing something in the process, but here goes: 

- no one needs an M10M, but boy, they are special to use. Your idea of getting one and then having a color M is a good one. 

- Likely you don't need the M11 and M10R. If the M11 really floats your boat, then get rid of the M10R. (however, contrast this with below...)

- if you want a monochrome, there are the two, M10M and M11M. Recommend the same as the color camera, for haptics and simplicity. (but not mandatory). I'd go this way, but some might not.

- The M10M is a fine fine camera, especially the shutter sound. For me, I would not go to the M11, like a matching M10R and M10M setup. 

- how important is the black paint? The value of the M11BP is more in the collectors realm. if that's important to you, hold onto it. If not, then it's just currency. 

Hope this helps - it does seem a bit apples and oranges, but there's a path through here somehow! 

Yesterday, I was out walking with the M10-M fitted with a 1953ish Elmar 5.0cm f/3.5 lens. And as I made photos, I meditated on all this gear stuff. 

I came to the realization: If push came to shove and all I could have was the M10-M and a couple of lenses, I wouldn't miss any of the other cameras cluttering up the closet... To my eye and to my hands, it really is that good. :D

I'm about to downgrade my 28mm lens ... I bought a Summicron-M 28/2 ASPH (previous series to current) last year. It's a very good lens but I'm not in love with it. A friend loaned me a Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6 ... fitted to the M10-M and shooting at f/5.6 and f/8, I fell in love. The Summicron will go, the Summaron will get a lot of use... ;) 

G

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you own an M10M and not an M11, the most logical upgrade IMO is to the SL3. The IQ difference of the M11M from the M10M is not material and for ‘push-abality’ of high ISO files not there (Reid Reviews comes to a different conclusion). The IQ difference of the SL3 with M lenses to previous SL bodies is substantial from what I could see shooting it side by side with the SL2-S.

Weight M11 silver with battery and Visoflex 2 723g, weight M11 black 623g, weight SL3 with battery 850g, but the SL3 comes with IBIS. SL3 also has Maestro IV image processor which improves IQ over the M11 IMO.

Edited by Chaemono

Posted (edited)

Trade in the M11 for any monochrome you like. The M10-R’s value lies exactly in its colors which cannot be said of the M11. Leica has a lot to do on the M12 to get that better.

Edited by otto.f

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 9:24 PM, Rollei35 said:

In terms of handling, picture quality, I prefer m11 to m10-R......The point is I enjoy shooting M11 more than M10-R...

In which case the answer seems (to me) to be pretty obvious (always assuming the reason you have cameras is to take photographs).

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pippy said:

In which case the answer seems (to me) to be pretty obvious (always assuming the reason you have cameras is to take photographs).

Philip.

Exactly. 

• Thanks 1