New owner of used Leica M11 - firmware 1.6.1 should I upgrade to 2.0.2?

AnakChan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

As per the title, I'm the new owner of a used Leica M11 Chrome that's on firmware 1.6.1. I'm aware of the misc freeze issues, etc. whilst it's new in my hands, I've not experienced any issues so far. Having said that, have there been any concerns in upgrading to the latest 2.0.2 from a (so far) working 1.6.1? I'm speculating majority would say go ahead and upgrade, but I'm curious if anyone who didn't have any problems developed problems after upgrading to 2.0.2?

I'm likely to continue playing with the camera on 1.6.1 for 1 or 2 weeks to test on stability, would like to hear from folks who may have experienced degradation after upgrading.

Cheers

Wait! There will soon be a new firmware update from Leica. Enjoy your new camera, take a lot of images. And report here if you have freezing problems with the old firmware. In all - never update to a new firmware, before it is known that it not introduces new problems! Your camera takes fine images with older firmware installed.

• Like 1

I would strongly recommend to hold off the update until Leica pushes out the next update, after which I would check the M11 forum for how well it has been received...

Leica has mentioned the update to be coming "Soon" since they released FW 2.0.2 in November last year. Not sure in which universe "soon" means more than four months, so rather stick to the known functional Firmware 1.6.1 which is one I wish I could revert back to on my M11!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AnakChan said:

Hi all,

As per the title, I'm the new owner of a used Leica M11 Chrome that's on firmware 1.6.1. I'm aware of the misc freeze issues, etc. whilst it's new in my hands, I've not experienced any issues so far. Having said that, have there been any concerns in upgrading to the latest 2.0.2 from a (so far) working 1.6.1? I'm speculating majority would say go ahead and upgrade, but I'm curious if anyone who didn't have any problems developed problems after upgrading to 2.0.2?

I'm likely to continue playing with the camera on 1.6.1 for 1 or 2 weeks to test on stability, would like to hear from folks who may have experienced degradation after upgrading.

Cheers

By all means, don't upgrade to 2.0.2!