The Summicron 35mm ASPH I (11879) is definitely a favorite

CosmoM3

2 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Why that particular summicrom?

Or did i miss something in the review?

I feel as though it hits a fine middle ground between the Mandler and Karbe optics, and that's strange considering that the ASPH I (11879) and ASPH II (11673) considering that both the lenses are very similar. I'm not exactly sure what sauce they used for the newer aspherical, but the earlier model look more classical to my eyes (I currently own the new ASPH II).

My sample, as some others have reported on theirs (including Sean Reid), exhibits mild focus shift (at f2.8 - f4). And one must be careful to avoid flare, as with many lenses. So, not perfect, but a favorite for many years, film and digital. [Both 35 Summarits actually do a better job resisting flare and focus shift, and at a lower cost.]  There aren’t any bad options; always trade offs to consider.

Jeff

• Like 1

Like most user here, some would prefer the "I" ( 👌 8 elements), some may prefer "II" or "III" (for different look and handling), even the "IV" have their diehard supporters,

then other Summilux asph. or not "I" or "II" supporters, Summarit-M, Summaron, etc.

😉 those Leitz/Leica 35mm are all VERY good in good hands 👍

• Like 5

Never enjoyed the cron 35mm asph; too clinical / no character, and also much larger/heavier than all other 35 crons. The only modern lens that have amazing rendering (to my eyes) are the cron 28mm, lux 35mm, lux 50mm. Other than those 3, I feel non-asph models have both a more beautiful rendering and are also much lighter / smaller. It’s really up to each person’s taste though, there are no bad Leica lens, just different rendering : ) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful stuff yes, the 35mm Summicron V being the first lens I bought for my then-new M.

The flare characteristics are just about the best out there.

Personally I don't find this clinical, while I understand some may. The worst deal probably is that I just "can't" afford to buy a Summicron III/IV since I have this already. They're getting expensive...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Never enjoyed the cron 35mm asph; too clinical / no character, and also much larger/heavier than all other 35 crons. The only modern lens that have amazing rendering (to my eyes) are the cron 28mm, lux 35mm, lux 50mm. Other than those 3, I feel non-asph models have both a more beautiful rendering and are also much lighter / smaller. It’s really up to each person’s taste though, there are no bad Leica lens, just different rendering : ) 

I want a Cron 28mm really bad my friend :D

11 hours ago, bayernfan said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Cosmo.  I'd argue that the rendering leans towards modern, but not enough to call it clinical modern.  My favorite use for it is on color film (portra).

Yeah it definitely sits on a fine line between classical but modern, unlike the FLE or the newer ASPH II which is more modern.

Happily, live changes.

More than ten years ago, after decades of using those classic "boring" Spheric Summicron (II/III/IV), I discovered the newly launched Summicron-M 35mm Asph.

I loved the rendering so much that I once had the three colors of the 35mm Cron asph., at same moment.

I understand that this Cron asph. is one of the most advanced in 35mm lenses close to the best ( which one ? 🙃).

Those Cron asph. "replaced" over time by other lenses, now I have none of 35mm Cron asph...

As said otherwise, so many times these days, my prefered lens in 35mm is the modest (but excellent for all kind of pictures), so light, Summarit-M 2.5/35mm.

Edited by a.noctilux

Tried to "replace" as you say my 35/2 asph v1 by another modern 35, to no avail. I like much my Biogon 35/2.8 but it doesn't do f/2. Same for the Summarit 35/2.5 that is very good otherwise but a bit soft at edges and corners compared to the 'cron. Same relative weakness at edges and corners for the Biogon 35/2 that i find also too tall. The only lens that could do the job would be the latest Ultron 35/2 that i even prefer to the 'cron for its smaller size but it's OoF rendering is a bit too sharp to compete IMHO. 35/1.4 and faster lenses are another story. 

Edited by lct

😄 Yes lct , Summilux-M 35mm asph. took the place of 35mm Summicron-M asph. for a time.

For a bit heavier/longer but very compact for f/1.4 lens, so good that the 35mm Summilux asph. became "boring" for me.

Then I rebought the sold pre-asph. 35mm Summilux again and why not those pre-asph. Summicron also.

• 7 months later...

I've had my v1 35 f2 ASPH for 20 years or so.... First leica lens I purchased second hand.... got a rockin' deal which was still good deal of money those days it would be considered a steal today... I LOVE it!! Its color rendition is second to none in my opinion... The tones are legendary... Film, Digital doesn't matter... Had a old 35 f2 VII doesn't really hold a candle to the ASPH... Nice lens but the ASPH rems supreme.... Sold the VII for a small profit.... Just purchased the 50 1.4 ASPH... pumped about it!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have the LHSA version of the 35/2 Summicron ASPH v1 and it is a fine lens, but being brass, it is a bit heavy. I've had a 35/2 v2 Summicron for years also. Recently, I acquired a 35/2 v4 "King of Bokeh" and I am blown away by its images. I like this one better than the other 35 Summicrons I own, IMHO. The only thing I am not impressed with this lens is the build quality. The optical unit turns too easily in the mount while mounting the lens. These lenses came at a time of extreme cost cutting at Leitz, and it shows.

My most used lenses in 35mm were my 35/1.4 Summilux pre-ASPH and then my 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH (non-FLE). These were my workhorses from 1972 until fairly recently. The ASPH is one of the best lenses I have ever used, and has never let me down. I have recently started using the original Summilux again, and it is an amazing lens. Really two lenses in one. Wide open, dreamy and with the Leitz glow. Stopped down, sharp as a tack. Best of both worlds, plus it is one of the smallest 35's around, unless you compare it to the 35/2 v4. I predict the original 35 Summilux will be back in vogue again, as people will again appreciate the wonderful lens that it is.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, derleicaman said:

I acquired a 35/2 v4 "King of Bokeh" and I am blown away by its images. I like this one better than the other 35 Summicrons I own, IMHO. The only thing I am not impressed with this lens is the build quality. The optical unit turns too easily in the mount while mounting the lens. These lenses came at a time of extreme cost cutting at Leitz, and it shows.

Your 35/2 v4 is made in Canada i guess. I have the same issue with mine but my German made copy has no plastic parts anymore and feels more sturdy. You know this as well or better than i do but some newbies ;) here may wish to have a look at what Marco Cavina wrote about this.