APO-SUMMICRON-M 1:2/35MM ASPH. images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since folks are slowly getting their copies, let’s start the party 

M11 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Rome

M11

• Like 1

Berlin 

M11

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Evening light, Porlock, Somerset.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

Guys, are you kidding us? Else conclusion can only be: M11 is not needed for this kind of photography. Here iPhone is more than enough. 😊

And your point is what, exactly?

The only things humans actually need are water, food, shelter, warmth, basic clothing and medicine. 

If someone wants to buy an M11 and a 35 APO to make street and landscape images, I don't see a problem. 

Hell, if someone wants to buy an M11 and a 35 APO to make images of their feet, I say let them.  It's their money.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mcpallesen said:

Guys, are you kidding us? Else conclusion can only be: M11 is not needed for this kind of photography. Here iPhone is more than enough. 😊

Given latest smartphones there's a good argument that smartphone is more than enough for almost* any sort of wide angle photography, period.

That said, I think Leica's are best used at 50mm. =)

Still, that shouldn't preclude anyone from using an overkill tool for the job. It can be fun. I don't think these threads focused on gear are meant to show great work, more so what the gear does. 

Edited by pgh
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pgh said:

Given latest smartphones there's a good argument that smartphone is more than enough for almost* any sort of wide angle photography, period.

That said, I think Leica's are best used at 50mm. 😃

Still, that shouldn't preclude anyone from using an overkill tool for the job. It can be fun. I don't think these threads focused on gear are meant to show great work, more so what the gear does. 

Yeah, I get that. My point was just, that these images don’t really show case what the M11 + 35Apo can do. Good gear still needs good use of light to show case their strengths and merit. My opnion only. 😊

8 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

Yeah, I get that. My point was just, that these images don’t really show case what the M11 + 35Apo can do. Good gear still needs good use of light to show case their strengths and merit. My opnion only. 😊

Not only good light, but good composition and good timing too. Everyone knows that these are the three elements of good photography.  However, the point of getting the best equipment we can get is to push ourselves to become better photographers - because we can no longer blame our equipment for any faults - and not just to take more test shots. So, given that, I kind of agree with @mcpallesen's post - in the kindest possible way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

I absolutely agree. Some of us are fortunate enough to own maybe not a 35 APO but perhaps a 50APO M, WA luxes. We shoot with top of the range L branded camera bodies and L branded lenses with output no better than any Jap mirrorless with kit lenses (f3.5.-5.6 kind). $20K gear vs $1K set up vs iPhone 10 or 11 maybe ($400?). 

This is what mcpallesen means: Gear head (pride) vs pursuit of photography (art). 

Truth hurts.

• Thanks 2

One... (pleas, open it)

Edited by MaticB
  • Like 17

End two

• Like 9

...the point of getting the best equipment we can get is to push ourselves to become better photographers...

That has always been my reason for buying and using the Leica M system.

...Gear head (pride) vs pursuit of photography (art). 

I can't speak for everyone, but for me "pride" or status has nothing to do with it. 

Anyone who has $17,300 USD in their pocket can buy an M11 and a 35 APO.  The question is, what can they create with it?

Edited by Herr Barnack

Damn, I’m too poor to own this lens. Actually, I have a BUNCH of junk that is worth more but in the form of junk. Maybe I should start a selloff.

My problem is I’m hooked brassing up my black paint summicron asph. Although I’m not in love with its image rendition I can’t just stop using it in favor of another aluminum bodied 35 (exception for cron v4, Lux pre-asph).

I’m hooked on black paint and Brass. 

4 hours ago, northernlights said:

I absolutely agree. Some of us are fortunate enough to own maybe not a 35 APO but perhaps a 50APO M, WA luxes. We shoot with top of the range L branded camera bodies and L branded lenses with output no better than any Jap mirrorless with kit lenses (f3.5.-5.6 kind). $20K gear vs $1K set up vs iPhone 10 or 11 maybe ($400?). 

This is what mcpallesen means: Gear head (pride) vs pursuit of photography (art). 

Truth hurts.

Truth hurts? 
It only hurts the jealous, or the weak minded. It does not hurt the confident, however poor.

Myself? I just cannot stand plastic. If Leica started producing a PLASTIC (ala Nikon and canon) 1500$ version of this 35 summicron apo asph, would I own it?

Hell no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, phototrope said:

However, the point of getting the best equipment we can get is to push ourselves to become better photographers

I really, really don't get this sentiment. Like, you need something more expensive to try harder? 

M isn't really the best equipment - esp not for most uses, and even then, it's basically only tied. It's just the most enjoyable to use (for me). Much if not most (at this point) of the best documentary work you've ever seen was made my photographers with cheaper equipment who had no problem with motivating themselves shooting "just" a beat up old Canon or whatever. 

I mean, this thread is titled with the lens name - the title - the most important context - I don't think this is really about making great pics, again. It's about people showing off how they enjoy using their tool. 

• Like 6