Jump to content

APO-SUMMICRON-M 1:2/35MM ASPH. images


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Truth hurts? 
It only hurts the jealous, or the weak minded. It does not hurt the confident, however poor.

Myself? I just cannot stand plastic. If Leica started producing a PLASTIC (ala Nikon and canon) 1500$ version of this 35 summicron apo asph, would I own it?

Hell no.

+1, thank you.

Quote

...you need something more expensive to try harder? 

Uh, no - you're missing the point.  It's not about the price tag.

I cannot speak for others - but for me, using M cameras and lenses inspires me to work harder, to do more and to endeavor to elevate my photography to the level of other Leica photographers like Jacob Aue Sobol, Ragnar Axelsson, Peter Turnley and Constantine Manos.  That alone is enough reason for me to work with Leica M gear.

All the above, and Leica M cameras and lenses are tremendously enjoyable and satisfying to use and they produce stunning images when properly brought to bear by the photgrapher - so why not use them??

The images this guy produces with his M Monochrom and 35 Summilux inspire me to work harder, to try to get to his level of skill, to create my own rendering of the kind of beauty he creates - look at them: 

And have a look at his book - https://www.amazon.com/Ragnar-Axelsson-Mary-Ellen-Mark/dp/993542040X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2U30YRW99YWSK&keywords=ragnar+axelsson+faces+of+the+north&qid=1661110901&s=books&sprefix=ragnar+axelsson+faces+of+the+north%2Cstripbooks%2C99&sr=1-2

Edited by Herr Barnack
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pgh said:

I really, really don't get this sentiment. Like, you need something more expensive to try harder? 

Maybe you didn't understand it because you didn't read it correctly. I didn't write "more expensive" I said "best" equipment. And yes, the APO 35mm cron is currently the best 35mm lens for M bodies, as stated by Peter Karbe the lens designer himself in an interview.  There are certainly more expensive 35mm M lenses you get, for example a steel rim summilux, or an AA prototype or black paint 8 element summicron, or Terry Winograd's 35mm lens when it comes up for sale. All these are more expensive than the APO 35, but you buying the APO 35 specifically because it is the best, not because it is the most expensive. So why are you buying the best 35mm lens for M bodies? If its only to enjoy ownership (which I understand) then why post pictures taken with it?

Edited by phototrope
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

+1, thank you.

Uh, no - you're missing the point.  It's not about the price tag.

I cannot speak for others - but for me, using M cameras and lenses inspires me to work harder, to do more and to endeavor to elevate my photography to the level of other Leica photographers like Jacob Aue Sobol, Ragnar Axelsson, Peter Turnley and Constantine Manos.  That alone is enough reason for me to work with Leica M gear.

All the above, and Leica M cameras and lenses are tremendously enjoyable and satisfying to use and they produce stunning images when properly brought to bear by the photgrapher - so why not use them??

The images this guy produces with his M Monochrom and 35 Summilux inspire me to work harder, to try to get to his level of skill, to create my own rendering of the kind of beauty he creates - look at them: 

And have a look at his book - https://www.amazon.com/Ragnar-Axelsson-Mary-Ellen-Mark/dp/993542040X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2U30YRW99YWSK&keywords=ragnar+axelsson+faces+of+the+north&qid=1661110901&s=books&sprefix=ragnar+axelsson+faces+of+the+north%2Cstripbooks%2C99&sr=1-2

I love Ragnar Axelsson’s work.  I’m not sure how many of his images are influenced by his equipment, though the converse is also true - it certainly doesn’t suffer from poor equipment.  His composition is fantastic, and obviously the light on fantastic scenes.  I have two of his books, and they gove me great pleasure - something to aspire to.

Does he use the 35 APO?

Edited by IkarusJohn
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

 I have two of his books, and they gove me great pleasure - something to aspire to.

Agree 100%.  His book Glacier is fantastic.  The last time I looked on Amazon it was listed at £181.70.  Faces Of The North was listed at £1,075.00.  Buy direct from Qerndu in Iceland instead.

The 35mm APO wasn't released when his most recent images were published.  He has used the M Monochrom in the past but more recently used the SL with 24-90 and converted the images to black and white.

Edited by T25UFO
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not many images in this image thread. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Uh, no - you're missing the point.  It's not about the price tag.

right right. not the price tag - just a subjective assessment of "best" - but paying a lot more for the same IQ you can get for like...1/4 the price. I mean sure, you can go on about how spending thousands extra gives you a better 35mm lens, but this is not the sort of thing that makes or breaks good work. This is the sort of stuff that photographers care about, but that doesn't impact viewers. I just really highly doubt the same image shot with a nikon 35mm standard f/2 lens would actually break through as stronger work to viewer than a summicron image. I appreciate the summicron rendering, but it's for me - not once has an editor, art director or curator ever cared about such a thing for me. 

 

5 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

All the above, and Leica M cameras and lenses are tremendously enjoyable and satisfying to use

Did I miss the point though? Because I said this is the reason I use them. 

The disconnect is where there are claims that it is the "best" equipment - yes, some great photographers have used Leicas - especially in the film world (different discussion entirely imo) - but in the last 20 years, when it comes to documentary work, not as much. It's not a dig at Leica - it's just to say that really, I just have a hard time believing that the best documentary photographers out there see the camera as the difference maker in whether or not they're going to go tell the story. The ones I've personally known who are quite successful generally do not use Leica for serious work (or at all) because it's not suited for it when put next to a Z7 or an A7rX. They're more concerned about getting the shot instead of some aesthetic experience of picture making (so am I when I'm working). I get that the nicely designed camera/lens is more fun to use, but I don't buy that somehow the best gear is necessary to be motivated to go make photos. If it is, well...then maybe the story/subject matter isn't the point - which is fine, but it's hard to see that resulting in work that's as strong when the photographer is more interested in their tool than in the world out there. 

My guess is the subject would get back on track if a photo strong enough to warrant discussion about the image itself were posted. Idk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, pgh said:

... but in the last 20 years, when it comes to documentary work, not as much. It's not a dig at Leica - it's just to say that really, I just have a hard time believing that the best documentary photographers out there see the camera as the difference maker in whether or not they're going to go tell the story. The ones I've personally known who are quite successful generally do not use Leica for serious work (or at all) because it's not suited for it when put next to a Z7 or an A7rX. They're more concerned about getting the shot instead of some aesthetic experience of picture making (so am I when I'm working). I get that the nicely designed camera/lens is more fun to use, but I don't buy that somehow the best gear is necessary to be motivated to go make photos. If it is, well...then maybe the story/subject matter isn't the point - which is fine, but it's hard to see that resulting in work that's as strong when the photographer is more interested in their tool than in the world out there. 

My guess is the subject would get back on track if a photo strong enough to warrant discussion about the image itself were posted. Idk. 

Which explains why today, literally not one photographer who is a member of Magnum photo agency works with Leica cameras and lenses.

Edited by Herr Barnack
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2022 at 2:18 AM, BigBabyEarl said:

Dude. Y’all talk way too much and demonstrate verrrrry little. This is an image thread. Leave your crybaby stuff for your therapist. I love this lens. 

 

Nice!
Now I think many people are looking for is a side-by-side comparison between the 35 APO and the 35 FLE taking this kind of shot (wide open at close or closest focus). 

Edited by phototrope
Link to post
Share on other sites

M10-R & APO 35 @ f 2,8 ISO 1600
Focus 30cm
Nuernberg, St. Sebald

 

 

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

M10-R & APO 35 @ f 2 ISO 800 and 1600
Overview and Closeup @ 40cm
Nuernberg, St. Sebald, Shrine built 1508-1519

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M@nfred
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, phototrope said:

Nice!
Now I think many people are looking for is a side-by-side comparison between the 35 APO and the 35 FLE taking this kind of shot (wide open at close or closest focus). 

Perhaps part of the point is that the 35 FLE cannot focus this close and could not take this kind of shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, evikne said:

Perhaps part of the point is that the 35 FLE cannot focus this close and could not take this kind of shot.

Perhaps. But the 35 FLE has a wider aperture, obiously, so a narrower depth of field. The comparison would still be interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not even at the closest focus.  The 35mm APO is a very versatile lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by T25UFO
Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...