APO-SUMMICRON-M 1:2/35MM ASPH. images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Prototype APO35 on M10 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

On 8/22/2022 at 2:18 AM, Herr Barnack said:

Which explains why today, literally not one photographer who is a member of Magnum photo agency works with Leica cameras and lenses.

You've looked in all their bags? I've no idea what most of them shoot, and camera choice may have as much to do with sponsorship deals as anything else, but the last I heard Jacob Aue Sobol was shooting Leica and they were promoting his work last year.

2 hours ago, Anbaric said:

You've looked in all their bags? I've no idea what most of them shoot, and camera choice may have as much to do with sponsorship deals as anything else, but the last I heard Jacob Aue Sobol was shooting Leica and they were promoting his work last year.

No, but I have looked at their videos on YouTube.  It is obvious who is shooting with Leica, whether its M kit, SL kit or other Leica kit. 

Interview videos and printed interviews also cover the kit used.  Another indicator of which Magnum shooters use what kit is to simply look at back issuses of LFI magazine.  LFI features portfolios that were made with Leica kit.

If you know the photographers and their work, all you have to do is look at Magnum's website; when I look at the website, it is not hard to recognize the photographers who have been known to shoot with Leica kit for decades. 

It's not that hard to figure out that a large percentage - likely the majority - of Magnum photographers are working with Leica kit, usually the digital M cameras or SL/SL2 cameras. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Oh, I see - I missed the sarcasm.

None was intended.  I was just making an observation.

While we're on the topic of sarcasm -

You've looked in all their bags?

That one came across as very snide and contemptuous.  There is no other read of such a comment.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Holy Moses on a shitwagon.  I thought we were all here out of a love for photography and Leica cameras/lenses - and to seek out advice, experience and camaraderie with others of like mind.

The palpable arrogance and thinly veiled hostility brought to the table by some in these parts gets old.

Very old. 

I'm out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 19

• Like 5

The lens and camera are overkill for me but it amazes me how much resolution the M11 and 35Apo pack in such a small package. 
  • Like 2

Shot above was around 0.4m (to test what 35mm framing would look like at the same MFD as the 35lux FLE v2/CF). The second shot was around 0.7m - > side note, the indent on my copy offers enough resistance for me to know when the focus ring moves from 0.7m to under, in that I have to use a tiny bit more force to push it. I'm not sure if they tweaked this over the past 1.5 years, or it's just me feeling its more than fine (since amount of force/resistance is all relative).

Because I just got this 35Apo I'd find it quite hard to be unbiased towards it over the 35FLE I have. I do like it's all-roundedness, in that it is a very reliable (more than very reliable) 35mm with close focus, but prefer the subject isolation the 1.4 lens gives. I am not sure which I'd choose if I kept only one, or if I'd get the 35lux FLE v2 in place of both, but I know I'd are reluctant to give up what this 35Apo offers. To have absolutely no complaints about the image quality of a lens in my preferred focal length says a lot to me. It also feels surprisingly smaller than my 35FLE with hood on, because of its squat hood and slimmer barrel (much like how the 50Apo and 50lux ash are both similar in size on paper, but the 50Apo feels more nimble).

Ended up typing a mini first impressions in the image thread, so apologies about that! I am swooning somewhat and got carried away.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 1:08 PM, Anbaric said:

Anders Petersen, who is one of the Nordic masters, and who also was an inspiration for Sobol, is still walking around with his Contax compact camera and Tri-X film.

For him, it is all about the picture, not about the gear. 

45 minutes ago, adli said:

Anders Petersen, who is one of the Nordic masters, and who also was an inspiration for Sobol, is still walking around with his Contax compact camera and Tri-X film.

For him, it is all about the picture, not about the gear. 

It's always about the pictures with any great (or even decent) photographer. They have to eat, of course, which is why some get sponsorship deals (quite possibly to promote the cameras they'd be using anyway).

On 9/6/2022 at 10:58 PM, Herr Barnack said:

Holy Moses on a shitwagon.  I thought we were all here out of a love for photography and Leica cameras/lenses - and to seek out advice, experience and camaraderie with others of like mind.

The palpable arrogance and thinly veiled hostility brought to the table by some in these parts gets old.

Very old. 

I'm out.

I've only just seen this comment. We seem to be talking at cross purposes. You suggested that 'not one photographer who is a member of Magnum photo agency works with Leica cameras and lenses', which I took literally and pointed out that some do (not that it matters - Sobol shot Sabine on a compact camera). In fact you seem to have meant the opposite, so I think we agree. Sobol has a new book out, by the way, which I've just pre-ordered.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:18 PM, BigBabyEarl said:

Dude. Y’all talk way too much and demonstrate verrrrry little. This is an image thread. Leave your crybaby stuff for your therapist. I love this lens. 

Amazing shot!! If I had to guess I’d say taken with a lux at 1.4… but there it is!!

we’ll done 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 9:26 AM, chasdfg said:

Shot above was around 0.4m (to test what 35mm framing would look like at the same MFD as the 35lux FLE v2/CF). The second shot was around 0.7m - > side note, the indent on my copy offers enough resistance for me to know when the focus ring moves from 0.7m to under, in that I have to use a tiny bit more force to push it. I'm not sure if they tweaked this over the past 1.5 years, or it's just me feeling its more than fine (since amount of force/resistance is all relative).

Because I just got this 35Apo I'd find it quite hard to be unbiased towards it over the 35FLE I have. I do like it's all-roundedness, in that it is a very reliable (more than very reliable) 35mm with close focus, but prefer the subject isolation the 1.4 lens gives. I am not sure which I'd choose if I kept only one, or if I'd get the 35lux FLE v2 in place of both, but I know I'd are reluctant to give up what this 35Apo offers. To have absolutely no complaints about the image quality of a lens in my preferred focal length says a lot to me. It also feels surprisingly smaller than my 35FLE with hood on, because of its squat hood and slimmer barrel (much like how the 50Apo and 50lux ash are both similar in size on paper, but the 50Apo feels more nimble).

Ended up typing a mini first impressions in the image thread, so apologies about that! I am swooning somewhat and got carried away.

Actually the differentiation is visible … the APO 35 shows no fringing, living up to its APO designation whereas the 35FLE2 shows the usual purple/green fringing in generous amounts. If this doesn’t bother the photographer, then the choice of having f1.4 aperture is advantageous over f2 

Also, APO35 focused down to 0.3M and the 35FLE2 was capped at 0.4M 

In the end I kept both the APO35 and the 35FLE2. And I kept a copy of the 35FLE1 out of nostalgia, having sold another copy to part fund the APO35. Some folks love their 50mm’s, I love my 35’s 

• Thanks 2

On the M10

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Leica M10-R

Leica M10-R

• Like 8